Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges

so the conclusion is that all IRA fighters must stand trial but soldier F should be exempt from prosecution? Nobody challenged your conclusion so that would seem to be that.
I’m not sure about that. It is late so maybe somebody will respond tomorrow?
I thought I’d ask whether those who are arguing for Soldier F feel ex forces personnel should be totally exempt from any potential punishment by virtue of them being a soldier and “only following orders” or if their issue was because the IRA members won’t face similar trials.
Tbh nobody knows the full facts yet so offering support or condemnation at this point may be a little premature.

I’m not sure about that. It is late so maybe somebody will respond tomorrow?
I thought I’d ask whether those who are arguing for Soldier F feel ex forces personnel should be totally exempt from any potential punishment by virtue of them being a soldier and “only following orders” or if their issue was because the IRA members won’t face similar trials.
Tbh nobody knows the full facts yet so offering support or condemnation at this point may be a little premature.

I agree nobody knows the facts but these days thats no impediment to holding intractable views.

So if the IRA suspects were to be charged and brought to trial would the ex armed forces on here still disagree with soldier F facing potential punishment?
It seems you’re conflating two separate but related issues here.

It's a difficult one to answer as we know that suspects in IRA atrocities will not be brought to trial to face justice for their actions.

I'm under the impression that prosecutions only take place if it is in the public interest to do so. In the context of this matter, that means that prosecuting Soldier F is being viewed as such. However, prosecuting terrorists known to have committed atrocities isn't seen as in the public interest.

How can this possibly be right?

In a broader sense though, no, I don't think that HM Forces personnel should be excluded from the normal rules.

Last edited:
It's a difficult one to answer as we.know that suspects in IRA atrocities will not be brought to trial to face justice for their actions.

I'm under he impression that prosecutions only take place if.it is in the public interest to do so. In the context of this matter, that means that prosecuting Soldier F is being viewed as such. However, ,prosecuting terrorists known to have committed atrocities isn't seen as in the public interest.

How can this possibly be right?

In a broader sense.though, no, I don't think that HM Forces personnel should be excluded from the normal rules.
Fair points. It seems the issues lie with the authorities, they decided the known IRA terrorists shouldn’t face no punishment for their actions and of course the authorities who gave the orders to Soldier F.

Fair points. It seems the issues lie with the authorities, they decided the known IRA terrorists shouldn’t face no punishment for their actions and of course the authorities who gave the orders to Soldier F.

kind of vindicates the Truth and Reconciliation Committee's in post Apartheid South Africa? Could have been a good idea. All truth out - cards on the table - no repercussions lets get to the truth and then move on..........a lot to be said for that approach.

kind of vindicates the Truth and Reconciliation Committee's in post Apartheid South Africa? Could have been a good idea. All truth out - cards on the table - no repercussions lets get to the truth and then move on..........a lot to be said for that approach.

Correct.

And soldier F was offered the chance to do exactly that. Exactly that. Offer a full and completely honest account of his actions and put the matter to rest. But he was too arrogant to do so and chose instead to continue lying, no doubt sure of himself that "I was a Para, I'm immune"..
I have zero sympathy for him or the apologists for this brave murderer of unarmed civilians. I just prey that justice is served and he goes to gaol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.