Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

This artist had just put out successive top 10/5 albums in the UK and US, and then was told the record company feared this one would bomb, so they put it on ice for 3 months to avoid making it available over the holidays. The exact words used by the label's execs were '"distinctly unpalatable" for the Christmas market'. There would be no tour following this album.

This person was on an emotional decline, addicted to cocaine and pretty much spiraling out of control. A change of scenery and influence was needed, perhaps for survival. A quote later on noted 'I'm quite certain I wouldn't have survived the [decade] if I'd carried on doing what I was doing. I was lucky enough to know somewhere within me that I really was killing myself, and I had to do something drastic to pull myself out of that."

The change of venue from Los Angeles to the French countryside, recording without drugs, and adding two music geniuses to the team as producer and musician created this album the record company feared to release. It was the artist's first explorations of electronic and ambient music, a big departure to albums prior.

The tracks off this album were credited for influencing the likes of Joy Division, Human League, Cabaret Voltaire, Arcade Fire, Gary Numan, Ultravox, The Cure, OMD, and yes, even Radiohead.

Given all that happened after this release, it is considered one of this artist's best work. Experimental, ambitious, intense, and influential have all been used to describe this.

I considered the single off of this album, but I went for one that showcased the overall sound of the album given how unique it was.

The lyrics of the song reference an incident where the artist kept ramming his car into that of a drug dealer who was ripping him off while in the middle of the addiction prior.

"Always Crashing in the Same Car" - David Bowie (from the album Low, the first of the Berlin Trilogy)

(face paint not seen on the album cover for the curious, and geniuses referred to above include musician Brian Eno and producer Tony Visconti)

Last edited:
By the time I get to the end of typing this, I will have decided which of the tracks from the fabulous Phantom Radio album by the Mark Lanegan Band I will select.

I'm not familiar enough with the late Mr Lanegan's discography to say whether this is reinvention, but reading around, I'm led to believe that this "folktonica" outing was more polished than his earlier work and some of it was even written on an iPhone. It's certainly different enough to his time fronting The Screaming Trees.

There are a number of tracks I could have picked - "Harvest Home" and "Death Trip to Tulsa" are probably my favourites but the track I've selected probably better demonstrates the experimental nature of the album as a whole.

"Floor of the Ocean" - Mark Lanegan

Last edited:
This artist had just put out successive top 10/5 albums in the UK and US, and then was told the record company feared this one would bomb, so they put it on ice for 3 months to avoid making it available over the holidays. The exact words used by the label's execs were '"distinctly unpalatable" for the Christmas market'. There would be no tour following this album.

This person was on an emotional decline, addicted to cocaine and pretty much spiraling out of control. A change of scenery and influence was needed, perhaps for survival. A quote later on noted 'I'm quite certain I wouldn't have survived the [decade] if I'd carried on doing what I was doing. I was lucky enough to know somewhere within me that I really was killing myself, and I had to do something drastic to pull myself out of that."

The change of venue from Los Angeles to the French countryside, recording without drugs, and adding two music geniuses to the team as producer and musician created this album the record company feared to release. It was the artist's first explorations of electronic and ambient music, a big departure to albums prior.

The tracks off this album were credited for influencing the likes of Joy Division, Human League, Cabaret Voltaire, Arcade Fire, Gary Numan, Ultravox, The Cure, OMD, and yes, even Radiohead.

Given all that happened after this release, it is considered one of this artist's best work. Experimental, ambitious, intense, and influential have all been used to describe this.

I considered the single off of this album, but I went for one that showcased the overall sound of the album given how unique it was.

The lyrics of the song reference an incident where the artist kept ramming his car into that of a drug dealer who was ripping him off while in the middle of the addiction prior.

"Always Crashing in the Same Car" - David Bowie (from the album Low, the first of the Berlin Trilogy)

(face paint not seen on the album cover for the curious, and geniuses referred to above include musician Brian Eno and producer Tony Visconti)

This was a track I was considering for this playlist.

This was a track I was considering for this playlist.
I waited an extra day after the match to post for just a few reasons... I said to myself if Bowie was already up, I had another. A lack of I took it as a sign to proceed.

Interesting on the same track as loads to choose from in his catalogue. Glad our tastes line up, not surprised. ;-)

Rob might be more fond of "A New Career in a New Town" with no vocals and Bowie on the harmonica, but I had to choose one with vocals.

Robert plant/Alison krauss - Can't let go.

Weirdly for some reason I've never really thought of Plant reinventing himself post Zeppelin but he has done on more than one occasion albeit fairly subtlety (unless you are nominating this because it transpires that Krauss in fact had an obscure early career in death metal, which somehow I highly doubt)

For my third offering, I am going to go with a reinvention of a reinvention!

Back in the 80's Yes went from being prog rocks champions to AoR titans when they brought in the two Trevors: Rabin on guitar and Horn on the soundboard. Horn and Rabin co-wrote the big hit single "Owner of a Lonley Heart" with original members Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. The album it was on 90125 became Yes' best selling album.

I am putting forward a more recent version of "Owner of a Lonley Heart" from Trevor Horn's most recent album "Echoes Ancient & Modern" which features Rick Astley on vocals.

For my third offering, I am going to go with a reinvention of a reinvention!

Back in the 80's Yes went from being prog rocks champions to AoR titans when they brought in the two Trevors: Rabin on guitar and Horn on the soundboard. Horn and Rabin co-wrote the big hit single "Owner of a Lonley Heart" with original members Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. The album it was on 90125 became Yes' best selling album.

I am putting forward a more recent version of "Owner of a Lonley Heart" from Trevor Horn's most recent album "Echoes Ancient & Modern" which features Rick Astley on vocals.
When I first started reading this, I thought for sure we were getting something off of Drama, before I got to your first Trevor...

I have not heard this version before either, so nice nomination I wasn't expecting.

I'm also partial to Fly From Here: Return Trip as well for another curveball. I'm sure you've heard that one.

Reactions: OB1
You wear it second hand - Idlewild.

As a contrast, 4 People Do Good.
And as a side piece Roddy Woomble's solo effort, My Secret is my Silence.

A band that started as an angsty rock band for the mosh-be teens. Then evolved into a decent indie band, then roddy woomble went and did a bit of folk, and now they just do age appropriate dad rock. A sometimes overlooked band that are excellent live and have a hefty back catalogue of good and varied albums. Their debut album Hope Is Important is still probably my favourite, even with far more successful and outright better later material.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.