Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

Thanks to @Out on blue 6 for curating another great playlist.

Joint winners for me on this week - unsurprisingly as I already own the albums in each case.

"Roscoe" - Midlake - This, and perhaps "Head Home", are the standout tracks on the Trials of Van Occupanther album.
16 years ago, I heard this song being belted out of the speaker system before a Crowded House concert but it took me a year to happen across it again and find out who it was by. A really different atmosphere and a great song.

"Waiting For The Sun" - The Jayhawks. I think this band are both under the radar and under-appreciated - even by me who owns 4 of their albums. They tread the line between country, pop and rock very nicely and one of the best parts of their sound is the vocal harmonies by Gary Louris and Mark Olsen.

Others I enjoyed:-

"Sail On, Sailor" - The Beach Boys
"Leave Them All Behind" - Ride
"Kid Charlemagne" - Steely Dan
"Rosemary With A Bible and a Gun" - Drive-By Truckers
"Follow Me" - Rory Gallagher
"Goin' Down To Laurel" - Steve Forbert

Thanks to @Out on blue 6 for curating another great playlist.

Joint winners for me on this week - unsurprisingly as I already own the albums in each case.

"Roscoe" - Midlake - This, and perhaps "Head Home", are the standout tracks on the Trials of Van Occupanther album.
16 years ago, I heard this song being belted out of the speaker system before a Crowded House concert but it took me a year to happen across it again and find out who it was by. A really different atmosphere and a great song.

"Waiting For The Sun" - The Jayhawks. I think this band are both under the radar and under-appreciated - even by me who owns 4 of their albums. They tread the line between country, pop and rock very nicely and one of the best parts of their sound is the vocal harmonies by Gary Louris and Mark Olsen.

Others I enjoyed:-

"Sail On, Sailor" - The Beach Boys
"Leave Them All Behind" - Ride
"Kid Charlemagne" - Steely Dan
"Rosemary With A Bible and a Gun" - Drive-By Truckers
"Follow Me" - Rory Gallagher
"Goin' Down To Laurel" - Steve Forbert
That Beach Boys one really surprised me.
Like it more than their regular sound.

Forget the greatest hits The Beach Boys like one of the other underrated US bands The Byrds wrote loads of great songs hardly anyone knows.
Yeah, but to be fair, I'll bet none of them are up to the level of "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" (but happy to be shown otherwise!)

Yeah, but to be fair, I'll bet none of them are up to the level of "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" (but happy to be shown otherwise!)
I don't disagree but we are talking about 2 of the most sublime pieces of music ever. I'm talking more about the discovery of other great work in the catalogue. Most don't see past Pet Sounds

I don't disagree but we are talking about 2 of the most sublime pieces of music ever. I'm talking more about the discovery of other great work in the catalogue. Most don't see past Pet Sounds
Yeah, fair point, I did think after pressing send that this would be an impossibly high bar for any artist. It's probably not good to use a band's best work as a stick to beat them with!

I'll do Out on Blue 6's promo work for him - in an earlier playlist, he nominated a song by Dennis Wilson - "River Song". Absolutely sublime, go and have a listen.
I will do.
At the moment I’m listening to one of my own playlists, to get away from the two music threads I’m contributing to in here.
It’s an Irish mixture from the 60’s up to the present.
Actually made me think a thread where we each share something from our own private playlists might have legs, if I thought it through enough.

Not necessarily for critique, but it could open debate as people pick and mix new stuff from others libraries, that they’ve never heard before.

Actually made me think a thread where we each share something from our own private playlists might have legs, if I thought it through enough.
It could even be the next topic here as I don't believe that concept has been taken before.

And it's making me think this evening while now nervously watching USA-Panama football 10 v 11.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.