Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

BM OPENERS

Another great concept for a playlist, this could’ve run into an unwieldy list under the old rules.Enjoyed the first 5Particularly The Flaming lips and Midlake tracks that I hadn’t heard before.

NO track gets the best song prize.

Others I heard before and love

Roxy Music ,a classic
Sparks ,interesting it followed RM as always thought this had a lot of RM influence and both on Island label.
Steely Dan ,of course
DBTs one of my favourite bands
Alice Cooper, loved this album back in the day introduced to it by my older girlfriend and had a lot fun whilst this was on in the background!
Marvin Gaye absolute classic
The Stunning ,we had this on the album thread i particularly liked this track.

Ones I hadn’t heard before
Rory Gallagher ,I’m starting to get some of Emo’s adulation for this guy
Orlando Weeks, don’t usually like his stuff but I like this one.
Frightened Rabbit, not heard this one before
Midnight Ambulance, great name for a band.

I've got two playlists and themes ready for Monday. Still can't decide which to go with. Given this thread has no guessing, secrecy or such, might as well get group input on this to help decide.

1. Songs that reference cancer. With a couple members of these threads openly dealing with it, while I don't always readily say supportive stuff, the though is there for yous. And no doubt others will have friends and family members dealing with it too.

It is however maybe a well intended but ultimately shallow attempt, as the songs I end up with aren't really any form of 'music therapy', some just use it as a metaphor for something else. It is also a fairly samey set of songs, by bands most of which I have put up before. It might also be just too niche to get enough contribution.

2. Dynamic Duos. A broader simpler theme. Bands with only 2 people in them. Easy right! I have a set of 5, again, a little bit samey. Partly, because the two in question tend to often be a drummer and bassist/guitarist. And partly because while there are a fair few to pick from, I tried to leave out the more obvious ones for others to pick.

Happy to take thoughts, in case they help sway me kne way or another. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the music itself is enjoyable and engaging.

As well intentioned as the thought is, personally I would struggle to think of songs for opt 1 that I would want to nominate and I suspect any I came up with might be the same as other peoples. So not sure how practical it is, it might be possible to expand the theme out in a broader/different direction and still show solidarity?

Ultimately I'd defer to others on the thread but opt 2 seems more practical.

As well intentioned as the thought is, personally I would struggle to think of songs for opt 1 that I would want to nominate and I suspect any I came up with might be the same as other peoples. So not sure how practical it is, it might be possible to expand the theme out in a broader/different direction and still show solidarity?

I agree. Just needed to hear someone else say it.

Same.
Both are niche.
The first is uber niche.

Same.
Both are niche.
The first is uber niche.

Is the second one really that niche?

No, no...no no no no...,no no no no

I'm here all week, try the chicken in a basket.

(and for the smartarses no that wasnt supposed to be Jim from Vicar of Dibley, and I do know the pair in question were just a front for the djs)

BM OPENERS

Another great concept for a playlist, this could’ve run into an unwieldy list under the old rules.Enjoyed the first 5Particularly The Flaming lips and Midlake tracks that I hadn’t heard before.

NO track gets the best song prize.

Others I heard before and love

Roxy Music ,a classic
Sparks ,interesting it followed RM as always thought this had a lot of RM influence and both on Island label.
Steely Dan ,of course
DBTs one of my favourite bands
Alice Cooper, loved this album back in the day introduced to it by my older girlfriend and had a lot fun whilst this was on in the background!
Marvin Gaye absolute classic
The Stunning ,we had this on the album thread i particularly liked this track.

Ones I hadn’t heard before
Rory Gallagher ,I’m starting to get some of Emo’s adulation for this guy
Orlando Weeks, don’t usually like his stuff but I like this one.
Frightened Rabbit, not heard this one before
Midnight Ambulance, great name for a band.
‘At a boy, @Mancitydoogle .
Believe me. This is only scratching the surface. Wait until we get onto a live theme.
The guy just transformed on stage. He just lived to play. Nothing else.

I’m off to a wedding now, so I’ll be out of circulation tonight. But if you have time on your own tonight. Sit down with a glass of whiskey and stick on YouTube for a browse.
I recommend starting with ‘Do You Read Me’ from Rock goes to college.
Or if you’re in a heavy mood dive right into ‘Cradle Rock’.

Night night everyone.

Is the second one really that niche?

No, no...no no no no...,no no no no

I'm here all week, try the chicken in a basket.

(and for the smartarses no that wasnt supposed to be Jim from Vicar of Dibley, and I do know the pair in question were just a front for the djs)
They're going to be 2 untalented for a duos list. I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac myself

Believe me. This is only scratching the surface. Wait until we get onto a live theme.

I’m off to a wedding now, so I’ll be out of circulation tonight. But if you have time on your own tonight. Sit down with a glass of whiskey and stick on YouTube for a browse.

Night night everyone.
I’m out tonight, but I’ll probably have time tomorrow night after the match to
drown my sorrows with a glass or two of whiskEy( I love my Irish stuff) and have a listen.

Night night everyone.

Well if you have a live theme in mind...

I was going to close this round and then we all start again first come first served. That was before your return though. You haven't been, so if you want to close it after me, you can go two weeks from monday if you are up for it? And then we kick off again.

Check you, still young enough to know people still getting married! You'll be saying you went on a stag do next.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.