Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

On the basis that only yesterday I started a meeting with "Dearly beloved we are gathered here today to get through this thing called the design review" I should really have Let's Go Crazy as one of my picks but with only two left of what is a quality theme I will hold fire for now.

On the basis that only yesterday I started a meeting with "Dearly beloved we are gathered here today to get through this thing called the design review" I should really have Let's Go Crazy as one of my picks but with only two left of what is a quality theme I will hold fire for now.
Hahaha. Maybe someone else will step up to the plate for that one

When I listen to an album I always listen as the artist wanted. No skipping or shuffling from start to finish. There is an art to the track listing and it was interesting to see the INXS has been described as probably being too heavy. The opening track is probably the most important as it sets the album up. Should be the one that by the end makes you want to start all over again. I looked at some of my favourite albums and artists and have picked the openers from these. Hence thread title being BM Openers

I've put on another music thread my love for post Pet Sounds Beach Boys. They'd fallen off a cliff commercially by the early seventies but still produced great work. This is from 1973s Holland album. This was released as a single and only got to 79 in the billboard top 100. Unbelievable really.

The Beach Boys - Sail On, Sailor

One thing myself and Fog would agree on is New Order are our favourite band. We would disagree on others and probably our favourite album. Power Corruption and Lies to Technique is a strong body of work. If I had to take one to a desert island it would be Lowlife. This opener is perfect NO. Steve's metronomic drumming,Hooky trying to get his bass higher in the mix and Bernard trying to play the notes in order. Gillians in there somewhere.

New Order - Love Vigilantes

Shoegaze was a music media scene created in between Madchester and Britpop. My Bloody Valentine being the flag bearers but like all scenes bands get lumped in who aren't really part of it. Ride for me are the best of the lot. Great new album earlier this year and I shall be seeing them in September. From 2nd album Going Blank Again

Ride - Leave Them All Behind

I always class this band and Mercury Rev as kindred spirits. Slogged around and released numerous albums before gaining any traction and I think embraced by the UK. I always find something uplifting about The Flaming Lips. This is from the breakthrough The Soft Bulletin

The Flaming Lips - Race For The Prize

Not going to say much about this one. Great song. Great album. Great band. From The Trials of Van Occupanther

Midlake - Roscoe

Hopefully there is something people enjoy listening to if not get something on yourselves. I will update the playlist as it goes along

Great idea and the field is wide open for nominations.

I still play that Dennis Wilson track you nominated earlier in the year, and on the back of that, I recently watched the Beach Boys documentary on Disney+ and have the Catch a Wave book lined up for later in the summer. I’ve always loved their big songs and it seems that there’s quite a few interesting stories that are worth exploring.

I love “Roscoe” and also “Head Home” from the Van Occupanther album.

Great idea and the field is wide open for nominations.

I still play that Dennis Wilson track you nominated earlier in the year, and on the back of that, I recently watched the Beach Boys documentary on Disney+ and have the Catch a Wave book lined up for later in the summer. I’ve always loved their big songs and it seems that there’s quite a few interesting stories that are worth exploring.

I love “Roscoe” and also “Head Home” from the Van Occupanther album.
Apparently Brian didn't like Sail On Sailor at the time. The harmonies are The Beach Boys but it's actually sang by a South African guy called Blondie Chaplin who was a member by that time.
Tim Smith the original songwriter in Midlake released a very good album late last year called Albion under the name Harp. Worth anyone checking out

Not sure how this thread works really, but if it's to nominate a song under a 'title' ie openers for this one...
I'd nominate Assassing - Marillion.
Probably my favourite album opener ever.
Yep that's it. OP has 5 original picks with a theme and everyone else 3 until next Sunday then a week to listen to the playlist and discuss if suits before someone else comes up with another theme. Pretty sure that's right

Great idea for a theme.

I kind of disagree with you though. Not through intent, but more through what seems to have been my accumulated opinion. I find for most albums I really like, the opening track is almost either one to discard, like a palette cleanser you spit out before trying the main thing. Or, it is a simple mood teaser, that hints at what is coming, whithout giving too much away, but in itself is almost a non-song.

Which is maybe why this might be quite a tricky one for me, but also intriguing.

The first ones I think off the top of my head, are all like that. Good in the context of the album. But as songs of their own, not ones to immediately put on a playlist. Like for example Tautou, by Brand New. One of my favourite album openings, but not really a 'conventional' song.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.