Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

"Aerith's Theme", just before the minute mark when the piano picks up the main theme and then it's backed by the strings is a nice transition. Is this the bit that "sends you away" in this one, Nick? Overall, a lovely theme.

"Odal" by Wardruna - When I first played the list, I made the comment that the Buckethead track was the pick of the bunch, but after four listens, I've change my mind. This track has really grabbed me - so much so that I listened to the full Runaljod – Ragnarok album. As expected, it's a bit much all in one hit, but it did provide a suitable background for working at my desk (even if my wife came in and asked "what on earth are you listening to?! - although to be fair, I get that quite often with the Album Review Club selections). I love the sense of menace in "Odal", the percussion throughout, and when the chanting starts (not the kids, the bit a little further into the track), it feels like you're in a dark cave running from a balrog (or something). I really enjoyed this one and can see me playing it at random points in the future.

"Whoracle" by In Flames - it's basically manic acoustic strumming and drumming for two-and-a-half minutes, which is fine by me, but as already noted, I enjoyed the "PillarAnders Visa" track, by the same band that Spotify auto-played afterwards, a bit more. Maybe the slight variation around the minute-mark is the bit that sends Nick away on this track?

"Black Rose Immortal" - I've already made the Sean Dyche vocals joke. Some of the stuff in between was OK, but anything with shouty old rubbish vocals gets the thumbs down from me and 20 minutes is far too long for ANY track by ANY artist. But just out of interest - if you can isolate the first three-quarters of a second at the start of this track, you'd swear it was going to be a Lionel Ritchie or Billy Ocean song!

"Spell of the Gypsies" by Buckethead. A nice mellow acoustic track with a slow electric solo to finish off.

In summary, I agree with bennyboy that instrumentals are not really my thing. I've lost count of the number of times something has sounded great on TV or film, but stripped of the images, it often loses it's power (except every John Williams theme, of course). However, this was a very nice playlist with some epic moments, so thanks to @feelymcfeel for posting it.

Thanks for the list enjoyed it.

Whole geeky debate to be had about the nature of video game music, it's constraints and evolution etc but that's for a different thread. I like Nobi Uematsu and think he did a good job with much of the FF music particularly VII. This is probably less well known than One Winged Angel but in many ways I prefer it.

Enjoying Wardruna, got them on in the background very evocative and I'm sure much of it could be used for all sorts of soundtrack stuff including a slow-mo of Erling swatting two centre halves out of his way before descending on goal.

Whoracle felt a bit generic tbh, very listenable but not too much to stand out about it. Btw- their Depeche Mode cover on the same album made me laugh (in a good way).

Black Rose Immortal not really doing it for me. Broadly speaking I have severe prejudices against multiple sub-genres of metal that I am working through with my therapist. Suffice to say, in my opinion, the only person who should really be allowed to death growl is Sam Herring.

I like Buckethead, like the variety and the fact he often tries something different and anyone who's mates with Bootsy Collins is alright imo. Electric Tears is a great chill out album has a very dreamy quality, like all the tracks including the one you chose.

Per everyone else, also enjoying what the autoplay throws up as a result of playing this stuff.

Enjoyed this for the best part. I like how it starts slow and gentle, builds, gets a bit heavier, a lot heavier and a bit out there, ends nice and slow.

I've actually split the songs out individually and listened to them out of the playlist. Which then leads onto similar song to that one rather than the code trying to work out a common theme to play recommendations.

The thing about instrumentals, they develop out and they probably need more listening and attention than verse-chorus sung songs. I'm ok with that.

The first and last tracks stood out for me. the middle ones a bit different. Both reminded me of different tracks I then went to put on.

Last edited:
I suppose out of all the playlist Buckethead stood out most for me.

I’ve just listened to the Paul Brady album from the other thread and decided to explore Buckethead on it’s own as a diversion.

It’s actually very listenable. Listening to Soothsayer at the moment. Maybe a bit generic but really quite pleasant atmospheric rock.

I’ve not forgotten about this. 4 out of 5 tracks I find very pleasing to the ear. The other, despite having it’s moments I can’t bring myself to listen to again. Would have been great for the Halloween playlist I put together for my wife a couple of weeks ago

Not really my type of music but an interesting playlist that Ive listened to a few
times.I liked the first track and the last track and funnily enough although’ Death Metal ‘if that’s what it’s called it’s definitely not my bag ,I thought it was a good piece of music although it would’ve been a whole lot better without the growling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.