Blue Moon Top 100 Bands Artists - Full List of Artists (pg 287)

This is just the sort of ludicrous result that happens when you stick with first past the post democracy.
Nevertheless thanks for all the hard work RobMCFC.
It must have been like trying to herd cats.
Interesting reply Denis.
Had Rob kept the Top 32 to himself then had a straight elimination like the FACup then the result would have been different.
E.g would Nick Cave have knocked out The Smiths if more people dislike the Smiths than like them ?
Feck does that make sense ? But it can turn into a who you dislike the most contest in some ways

The poll is supposed to be favo(u)rite bands, right? So it's heartening that 50+ years on, many folks are still listening to the Beatles regularly because they're a favo(u)rite artist.

Of course, that probably isn't true, in part because so many (nearly all) of their tunes are ingrained into the heads of (white) people of a certain generation, that at some point they become stale. Even the Beatles. I suspect being "the greatest" or the "most influential" got muddied with "favo(u)rite" for many voters.

For me, great as they were, and as much as I like Rubber Soul and onwards, The Beatles were inconsistent. There isn't a album of their that doesn't contain either drug-addled noodling, throwaways, or (in the early days) pasty love songs. But they could do whatever they wanted, because they were The Beatles.

Then there are The Smiths, about whom Robert Christgau wrote (in his review of Meat Is Murder) "[I have the] sneaking suspicion that they're less sensitive than they come on -- passive-aggressive, the pathology is called, and it begs for a belt in the chops. Only the guitar hook of 'How Soon Is Now,' stuck on by their meddling U.S. label, spoils the otherwise pristine fecklessness of this prize-winning U.K. LP. Remember what the Residents say: 'Hitler was a vegetarian.' "

As a lover of Christgau (and beloved local San Fran Beefheartian lunatics the Residents), I think he has a point, though he liked their later stuff better, and so do I. But Christgau missed how unique their guitar sound was, and how good Morrissey's lyrics were I think. As a synthpop backlash, which some of you have pointed out, it was exceedingly fresh, and they've left a trail of well-crafted songs. Just because Morrissey is one of music's biggest douchebags (and not even Smiths fans can argue that) doesn't mean he didn't help pen some great tunes.

So I think in the end the order makes a lot of sense.

@RobMCFC this was a lot of fun -- thanks for the great thread and all the work!

This is just the sort of ludicrous result that happens when you stick with first past the post democracy.
Nevertheless thanks for all the hard work RobMCFC.
It must have been like trying to herd cats.

If it had been first past the post not points scored the smiths would be 4th (20 votes where oasis and stones got 21each) and Rush out of the top 20 in favour of Simon and Garfunkle

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.