Blue Moon Top 100 Bands Artists - Full List of Artists (pg 287)

I am open to ideas for the format for Top Female Artist.
Is Top 15 a bit much ?
Do we do a similar score system to the bands ?
1st - 5 points
2nd -4pts
3rd -3pts
4-6th -2pts
7-10th -1pt
Or 10 pts first down to one for 10th.
Anyway I think Top Ten is sufficient unless you are @OB1
Are we talking just lead singers? Solo artists? What about bands fronted by women but with some musicians who are men? Take Eurythmics -- Annie Lenox sings and writes, but Dave Stewart was a big part too. I can think of dozens of examples.

I know I don't have enough favo(u)rite solo female women to make a list -- but that would probably go for men too -- and personally I don't care enough about how good a vocalist is (male or female) to try to rank them.

Are we talking just lead singers? Solo artists? What about bands fronted by women but with some musicians who are men? Take Eurythmics -- Annie Lenox sings and writes, but Dave Stewart was a big part too. I can think of dozens of examples.

I know I don't have enough favo(u)rite solo female women to make a list -- but that would probably go for men too -- and personally I don't care enough about how good a vocalist is (male or female) to try to rank them.
I believe it will be any Female that sings -Solo or lead in a group
Hope that helps Mr C
You can alway just use five spaces for example and put Jane Doe at nos 6 to 10

The Smiths at number two. Love it. Remember listening to them in session on John Peel’s show around 1983 and my life long love of all things Smiths and Morrissey began. It has been one of the constants in my life for almost 40 years. How time flies….

I am open to ideas for the format for Top Female Artist.
Is Top 15 a bit much ?
Do we do a similar score system to the bands ?
1st - 5 points
2nd -4pts
3rd -3pts
4-6th -2pts
7-10th -1pt
Or 10 pts first down to one for 10th.
Anyway I think Top Ten is sufficient unless you are @OB1
Pick your own points system. I just wanted something different and I don’t know how much difference it made.

Most logical thing to me would be female artists and bands with a female lead singer. Should be favourites not best and 10 nominations would be plenty. I might still struggle for that.
Agree with all of that. I’m sure 10 would be enough for most.

That album changed the way 'pop' music was thought about, more than any that had gone before it and after it. It's hard to think of any other album that changed the way music was created or thought about. It also broke boundaries as to how far you could push pop music.

You have to remember that up until, say, the mid-60s bands like The Beatles etc were thought of as what we'd think of as boybands or similar today. It was music for kids. It wasn't an art form, just disposable music. This album pretty much changes all that - pop music is now a 'serious' art form. It also shows every other musician what you can do and pushes the idea that you can use Victorian fairs, drugs, avant-garde classical tape loops, Indian influences, classical orchestras, psychedelics, childhood memories and blend them into rock and make it look as natural as a nursery rhyme.

You have to remember that about a year beforehand they gave up playing live as they couldn't hear themselves play. They then decided to make an album in the studio and would use it's full potential. It had never been done before so no one had any idea as to what a studio-only album could sound like. When it was released, it was jaw-dropping. There's no comparison that you could make to it today.

The album cover, printing of lyrics on the inside and how it was recorded was unlike anything you'd seen or heard before. When it was released, it was an event and it's difficult to imagine what it must've been like to todays ears. Bear in mind Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were to be on the album but had to be released as a double-a side to show they were still going.

You may not like it, but it is definitely not overrated. It is probably the most important album in rock music history.
It was The Beatles‘ response to the brilliant Pet Sounds

Debby harry, bjork, Aretha Franklin, dusty, karen carpenter, Tammi Terrell, shirley mamson, jane weaver, PJ Harvey, Lizzo, kim deal, Cass Eliot, Susanna hoff etc etc etc

Easy to get a top 15- 20 choices if its solo artists and lead singers of bands

Tammi Terrell would obviously win

Last edited:
I believe it will be any Female that sings -Solo or lead in a group
Hope that helps Mr C
You can alway just use five spaces for example and put Jane Doe at nos 6 to 10
Ok — so a band like Fleetwood Mac or Sonic Youth or Pixies — when sometimes lead is sung by a woman — or bands like Wussy and X — when there’s like a trade off in each song between a woman and man singing — do those count? If so then that gives me more to vote for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.