Bluemoon Angling Thread

Bad time of year to catch perch as they spawn earlier than other coarse fish and stop feeding for a long period of time . Hardly any perch being caught in the canal matches I have fished the last couple of months . When the eels start feeding on worms on the Leeds Liverpool canal the perch tend to switch on aswell usually mid May after some warmer weather and rise in water temp ;-)
I had a couple of pre-spawning fatties in March but you're right, they will probably have spawned now. They will get on the munch when the weather settles I agree. They don't like high pressure with the cold nights and bright days at this time of year in my experience.

On the theme Fish are mental.
Coldingham on Friday I was fishing with one of my mates and went 7-0 up on him prior to lunch. He went very quiet. Lunch over, he changed line and flies and proceeded to beat me 14 -1 in the afternoon. I was very quiet by the end. It really is hard to fathom, both of us fishing similar methods with similar flies at similar depths. He had a double figure brownie in the afternoon just to put a ribbon on it.
1681313221474.jpeg

I am off on the Whiteadder and Tweed next week. Toot Toot!

A ghillie mate of mine had a 35lb salmon on his beat on the Wye near Ross a couple of days ago...
I have been out on our beat a few times and haven't even seen a fish yet!

I am off on the Whiteadder and Tweed next week. Toot Toot!

A ghillie mate of mine had a 35lb salmon on his beat on the Wye near Ross a couple of days ago...
I have been out on our beat a few times and haven't even seen a fish yet!
where on the whiteadder are you fishing mate?

where on the whiteadder are you fishing mate?
Its association water mate... I just joined Wirral Game Anglers and they have a couple of rods.
I have salmon fished the Tweed lots and the Till a couple of times for sea trout, but never the Whiteadder.

Just back from three days on the mighty Rutland Water with five others. My god it was cold and barely got over 9c through the day. The wind was from a different direction every day too, SE, W and then North. Despite that when you found concentrations of fish the sport was fast and furious. On the last day we found high quality bows to 3 1/2 lb in Hideaway Bay right at the top of the South Arm where there was also some welcome shelter from the wind. They fought like hell. We took 26 to the boat with my friend giving me a good pasting. He was presenting his buzzers consistently in the top couple of feet of water and I just couldn't seem to replicate that - I still finished in double figures though so was happy with that. Our Party caught nearly 300 fish in total over the three days. We were told Grafham was fishing even better.

I love Rutland, what a place, its like having the choice of 30 fisheries in one such is its size and variety of drifts and bays. Three days fishing and we barely scratched the surface. It takes 35 minutes in the boat from top of the arm to the lodge. If you are fishing at the top of the South and fancy a go at the top of the North arm it takes well over an hour to get there. Mental. The staff are brilliant and the boats are the best there are.

We will be doing the same next year for sure.

Just back from three days on the mighty Rutland Water with five others. My god it was cold and barely got over 9c through the day. The wind was from a different direction every day too, SE, W and then North. Despite that when you found concentrations of fish the sport was fast and furious. On the last day we found high quality bows to 3 1/2 lb in Hideaway Bay right at the top of the South Arm where there was also some welcome shelter from the wind. They fought like hell. We took 26 to the boat with my friend giving me a good pasting. He was presenting his buzzers consistently in the top couple of feet of water and I just couldn't seem to replicate that - I still finished in double figures though so was happy with that. Our Party caught nearly 300 fish in total over the three days. We were told Grafham was fishing even better.

I love Rutland, what a place, its like having the choice of 30 fisheries in one such is its size and variety of drifts and bays. Three days fishing and we barely scratched the surface. It takes 35 minutes in the boat from top of the arm to the lodge. If you are fishing at the top of the South and fancy a go at the top of the North arm it takes well over an hour to get there. Mental. The staff are brilliant and the boats are the best there are.

We will be doing the same next year for sure.
Interesting report and well done on the fish. I've been looking at Rutland for a winter predator trip. I think it has big zander as well as pike and perch. I seem to remember it's not open for very long for coarse fishing though.

I've been out loads with the lure gear, light and heavy, for very few results. I remember a small pike on a tiny wobbled plug designed for perch. I remember a couple of thumps and a heartstopping lunge from a big reservoir pike to a big lure and a hooked canal trout which leapt and fell off. But apart from that I must have had at six short lure blanks since my last post. Twice I've been roving/deadbaiting on the same reservoir too and been pestered to death by massive crayfish.

Interesting report and well done on the fish. I've been looking at Rutland for a winter predator trip. I think it has big zander as well as pike and perch. I seem to remember it's not open for very long for coarse fishing though.

I've been out loads with the lure gear, light and heavy, for very few results. I remember a small pike on a tiny wobbled plug designed for perch. I remember a couple of thumps and a heartstopping lunge from a big reservoir pike to a big lure and a hooked canal trout which leapt and fell off. But apart from that I must have had at six short lure blanks since my last post. Twice I've been roving/deadbaiting on the same reservoir too and been pestered to death by massive crayfish.
Massive predator fish on all the Anglian waters. It’s very popular. Season is fairly long. Here is all the info you need. Rutland is my favourite but the other waters are brilliant too.

Massive predator fish on all the Anglian waters. It’s very popular. Season is fairly long. Here is all the info you need. Rutland is my favourite but the other waters are brilliant too.
Yes that's it. It finishes early, ie end of January. The time to go would be September/October when they are still active. I might go actually. Thanks mate.

Yes that's it. It finishes early, ie end of January. The time to go would be September/October when they are still active. I might go actually. Thanks mate.
Have a bash for the trout too. At that time of year they are on the fry bashing and at their best. Was talking to the head warden at Rutland and he was telling me that predator anglers at Pitsford were catching brown trout to 20lb. Bloody monsters!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.