Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Nice one, I hadnt really considered any of those 1950s scifi films, but wasnt "The Thing" one of those originally, taken from a novel called "Who Goes There"? Thinking about it wasnt one of the Quatermass films based on the crew of a space mission returning with an alien of sorts?

Still not in the same league as this Alien though for frights and adult gore.
Well The Thing is a remake of The Thing from Another World, which apparently is based on that novel. This was one of my favourites as a kid:

But yeah, most of these films have horror moments rather than being full on horror like Alien.

Best to discuss when it appears but it will more than deserve its place in the top 10: it's easily one of the greatest movies ever made. The shark is really only an issue at the very end when its chomping on Quint but the absolute brilliance of the rest of the movie more than compensates. You have to judge it in the context of the time the film was made and not against the CGI world of today.
Although to be fair, even at the time they knew it was shit. That's why they barely used it in the film, which ironically made it better.

Well, we've had a lot of good films so far, and some odd choices (I'm looking at you "Step Brothers"), but with 10 to go, I thought I'd take a punt at what the top 10 might be. This is based not on my personal choices (only two of these are in my top #20), but on a combination of classic films that usually pop up in these things. There's four in here that I haven't even seen.

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Godfather Part II
5. Goodfellas
6. Alien
7. Blade Runner
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Gladiator
If those are the top 10 it’s a heavy list. Think about 3 or 4 of my top 10 won’t even make the top 100 at this rate. No Goonies at this rate.

If those are the top 10 it’s a heavy list. Think about 3 or 4 of my top 10 won’t even make the top 100 at this rate. No Goonies at this rate.
I had The Goonies as well. Can’t see it being in the top 10 to be honest.

I suppose it depend where you had it in your 20

I had some like it hot at No5 so 15 points and 2 others had it but it still didn't get 20 points to make the list.

The fact this billy wilder classic didn't make it and step "fucking" brothers did makes a mockery of the whole thing imho.

A bit of fun but the list in the is irrelevant when all is said and done.

Open nominations would've helped "inspire" some of my choices.

So many I've forgotten or not given enough props too.

All my wasted votes on "forin" subtitled classics, as not one title has broken into the top 100 so far.
C9zt53c.gif

Here was my list:

1) Rope (1948)
2) The Fly (1986)
3) Training Day (2001)
4) No Country for Old Men (2007)
5) I Saw the Devil (2010)
6) The Fountain (2006)
7) Metropolis (1927)
8) White Heat (1949)
9) Aliens I (1986)
10) Blade (1998)
11) Pitch Black (2000)
12) In the Heat of the Night (1967)
13) 36 Quai des Orfèvres (2004)
14) Akira (1988)
15) The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)
16) When We Were Kings (1996)
17) Beasts of No Nation (2015)
18) Frankenstein (1931)
19) Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
20) The Incredible Shrinking Man (1954)

I chose films that made me think and were different from the norm.

"Rope" was number one as when I was a child, first seeing it, I knew there was something different about the storyline. Something was permeating through the words and the actions; something unsaid. I was riveted even when not fully understanding. I think it was the first film I ever sat through, by myself, absorbing whatever I could.

The second time I saw it, I was a bit more savvy about the world connecting the dots, but it didn't dilute the experience and just made me admire the mastery of direction from Hitchcock.

I'd like to hear why others chose their number one after the final, if you want. I said mine as I knew it would come nowhere near the pop culture list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.