BMG v City post match thread

Finally, the voice of reason.

Just been looking at the PL table. We're third, having conceded 11 goals. Only Chelski and Tottingham have conceded fewer this season. I wish some people would get a grip of themselves when talking about our "crap" defence. In the last 5 minutes, BMG didn't get a kick because they couldn't get the ball off us. When did you see that last happen? Not by us - ever.

Progress is being made - not as quickly as a lot envisage, but the signs are definitely there.

Patience, children.
This post is well worthy of that clapping gif!... Before the start of the season a lot of blues were hoping Pep would get us into the top four, a decent run in CL and maybe a cup. We are sitting pretty on all fronts yet so many moaners. A genuine question; is this from our new support? Sort of understand if this is the case?

I found it hard to watch that game last night. Pep was shit scared of their pace on the counter. I think Fabian Johnson's pace caused him to play his midfield deeper than he usually would.

Our problems arise from having Gundogan, De Bruyne and Silva on the field. When we don't dominate possession we will always struggle to keep goals and chances out. Especially when Otamendi and Stones charge out of defense. For 15 minutes in the first half we defended like a pub team.

For a while we overloaded the right hand side. Sterling and Navas, our 2 fastest players were both on that side, yet we still were not passing inside their fullbacks, and we still did not have enough runners in the box. Then suddenly we got it right, KDB gets a pass inside the fullbacks on the byline, Silva and Aguerro are both running in the box and we score. We then seemed to slow it down again, WTF?

Just been looking at the PL table. We're third, having conceded 11 goals. Only Chelski and Tottingham have conceded fewer this season. I wish some people would get a grip of themselves when talking about our "crap" defence. In the last 5 minutes, BMG didn't get a kick because they couldn't get the ball off us. When did you see that last happen? Not by us - ever.

Progress is being made - not as quickly as a lot envisage, but the signs are definitely there.

Patience, children.
2sREC.gif

It will take time to gel. Adrenaline got us through the first ten games and once that dissipated you could see that the entire team has been struggling to come to grips with each other positionally. The flowing movements on some of our attacks are a joy to watch as players overlap but we're doing exactly the same thing in defence and that hasn't cost us as much as it could have. A few times last night Otamendi and Stones ended up marking the same player or occupying the same space whilst leaving huge gaps and that's not only amateurish but it's also extremely dangerous when 90% of the teams you're playing are content with parking the bus and relying entirely on fast counterattacks.

To me it just looks like they have no idea what their teammates are doing and where they are. That part will come with time as they build up an understanding but we are seriously lacking leadership at the back. At times Otamendi was screaming for Stones and Kolarov to push up and get in line with him but they evidently didn't listen and why should they? The rest of the time Otamendi was off sprinting into midfield and at their defence and leaving us vulnerable.

It's not as bad as some are making out as I think it's more a matter of building up their experience of playing together but there are certain phases of matches where we look absolutely attrocious defensively.

The attacking looked uninspired but (as other have said) our defence and midfield played fairly deeply to nullify their pace on the break and this left Aguero isolated for the majority of the game. The link up play for our goal was brilliant though.

As for the rest of the game, Rafinha could have been sent off three times. We've qualified for the knockout round with a game in hand despite officials costing us on the pitch. ****s.

We're through and we've still got plenty of room for improvement. I'll take that as a positive.

To be fair, they didn't get a kick because they didn't want the ball off us.

Looked to me like we were saving some energy for the Burnley game. 1st was out of reach, we kept them in check for the main part of the game to get the result we needed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.