Borussia Dortmund (H) Post-Match Thread

Bernie, Phil and Alvarez completely changed the game tonight all three were superb when called upon.

That Haaland goal was incredible, I think he was made in a lab he's not human!

Without sounding like a Rag, When we go behind now it's like "OK, That's the kick up the arse we needed let's go'. Fully expect us to comeback going behind and and so poorly. This manager and squad no nothing other than winning.

One of those games. Not at our best, not must win, but we're basically out of the group now with four to play. A few players have played themselves out of a starting place in big games, I'm still not thrilled by how Gundo and Kev play together. What a difference having a top goalscorer makes, though. Just hope we hit our top gear soonish, we are hitting that sort of time where we need to really.

Phew! We were abject in the first half & looked asleep. It seems having the extra days off made us lose our rhythm & those who started just weren't on it. Our passing was shit & we had no energy or urgency.

Major credit to Dortmund. They were excellent tonight & were well organised & posed a serious threat on the counter. Dortmund came out with confidence for the second & we still couldn't raise our game.

When they won the corner on 53m, & Alvarez was sent to strip off, I said to myself we needed to make the change before we went a goal down & literally seconds later Aké was caught asleep playing Bellingham onside for the opener.

The changes after their goal made an immediate difference & injected urgency into our play for the first time tonight. To be fair, we could have taken the whole 11 off & it would have been deserved.

Bernardo, Phil & Julian brought what we needed to the game. We lost something going forward with Stones, which raises the same fucking full back argument we have EVERY season. As soon as injuries strike, we're playing square pegs in round holes & it's got to stop!

But what a fuckin goal by Stones! It was another Vinny moment where I was screaming "WHAT THE FUCK YOU DOING" as the ball screamed into the net with their goalie waving hello & goodbye to it! To be fair, their keeper should have saved it, but still. \0/

We increased the pressure going for the winner & what a ball from Cancelo with the outside of his foot & a flying volley from the Viking! Fuck all touches all night & then he produces that just when we needed it! :-)

Hopefully Pep will give the whole squad a rocket up the arse, because at 70 mins, I'd have taken a draw we were that poor overall. Roll on Wolves on Saturday & our reunion with Costa da Nutta! :-/

John Stones goal down to a goal keeping error? Fuck off. No one on planet Earth expected him to twat the ball like that, even if they did the ball was walloped at such a speed it would have taken the keeper with it. Normally goal of the season contender, tonight not even goal of the game!

Rodri's reaction to the goal said it all , we have someone from way beyond left field in our side and games are going to be lifted to a new dimension both in highs and lows but more highs than lows I would suggest.

Peps reaction to the yellow card made me laugh , if he did this to an umpire in the AFL he would have got a 10 match ban seriously.

Great to get the three points despite not being clinical for the first 75 minutes but I don't want to be that harsh on Grealish and Mahrez , they will justify their places in the team in due course.

Last edited:
Let me walk you through it again mate, I know I’m boring but bear with me!

Last season you had 3 men blocking Mahrez’s cross, passing channel inside, and his run down the line.

Walker would overlap round the outside and create a gap.

Mahrez would either pass or cross, usually cross, with that gap made, result would often be a goal for City.

He’s been off form so far but tonight, he had Stones stood 15 yards behind him not knowing wtf to do.

———

I get he’s out of form, but he really wasn’t helped tonight with that team selection.

I get Gomez is new, maybe a level below most of our team and Dortmund are a better side than Seville, so it’s a risk playing Gomez, but had he given Mahrez Cancelo behind him, even an off form Mahrez would have been far better.
I thought that whole side was let down or difficult because of the Stones and Mahrez combo.But Mahrez was sluggish sometimes, not really full of spark when we really needed it. But yes he didnt have Walker running outside of him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.