Bought A Bicycle - Tips And Advice, Please...

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Will put in my twopence worth. As @discopop says above - clipless pedals are great as they keep your feet in the correct position, yes there is a correct position - most people ride in the most inefficient position, pedal in the arch of the foot, pedal with the widest part of your foot on the pedal. This is the most efficient way as it transfers the most power to the pedal and therefore makes it easier - which has to be a good idea.

Get some mudguards for the grotty weather. Nothing worse than getting to work filthy from the roads.

Nothing better than a ride to work. After just a few days you will feel the difference - you will actually feel like starting work.

Don’t worry about the roads, there are more good drivers that will give you room and be courteous than bad drivers who won’t.

Keep warm in winter by buying a decent pair of gloves, you may be amazed at how cold your hands can get whilst on a bike.

Enjoy your cycling, I do, I love every minute on a bike.

I like the look of the electric bikes but they are having at laugh at the £1500 and upwards as you can buy a nosebleed for that !

Have you got one of those kits, what are they called ... oh yeah, a will kit.

Also lycra, the more the merrier. Don't wear underwear underneath it but be careful when it starts to wear out, not too pretty for those behind.

For anyone wanting something good for short commutes, I can't praise the Decathlon B'Twin Rockrider 520 enough. Not too heavy, good on road and off-road and fun to ride. Tyres are less prone to puncturing than the thin racer type and it's nippy too.

For anything else use Youtube's GCN channel:

Other than that, Decathlon is great for accessories, bought two tyres for a tenner. Bought USB charged bike lights, bought waterproof overtrousers, bought neck warmer and gloves, bought bike pump/headstand, lock, mudguards, and toolkits. It's a french store so when your buying cycle gear - they are solid - think Tour De France.

Also lycra, the more the merrier. Don't wear underwear underneath it but be careful when it starts to wear out, not too pretty for those behind.
I agree. I once saw a big arsed woman on a bike wearing stretched lyra shorts with a g-string underneath. The thought of an elephant wearing a balaclava came into my minds eye.

Maintenance wise perform an “M” check every other day or so, start at the hubs make sure your tyres are free of debris and correctly inflated, under inflation is pretty much the main reason for punctures especially the dreaded snake bite, check the axle skewers are nicely tightened most are quick release so it’s a doddle to do. Check the seat post and saddle and then down to the bottom the bottom bracket and pedals to make sure there is no play same for the handle bar contact points and check the brakes.

Regular maintenance, use a micro fibre cloth (it’s tip I picked up off a few of my commuter mates) to wipe the chain down once a week and reapply oil muc off brand is well regarded and Aldi always seem to have offers on. Invest in a track pump for the garage/shed and a decent small one for out on the road, carry at least one spare tube and don’t be fucking about trying to patch an inner tube whilst out it’s a waste of time and effort especially if it’s pissing it down as Sod’s law it will be when you puncture, in fact multi buy offers on tubes make it a complete waste of time to do anyway so bring the old tube home and bin it.

One thing worth doing is when you have your saddle height sorted make a note and every now and then remove the seat post and clean off otherwise it could quite easily seize up

Out on the road just keep your wits about you check wing missions on cars if they are in you are safe if out beware and give yourself the right space because being car-doored is no fun whatsoever believe me I have done the superman shit and it hurts. Avoid puddles for the main reason the grid could be gone!

As already mentioned fuck off the cycle paths they are puncture city, invest in a small bell as they are mandatory in fact any new bike whatever the spec should have one supplied.

Clothing wise there is masses of stuff for general bike riding out ther but if you do cycle regular invest and learn to use clipless pedals believe me they are a massive step up from flatties and your cycling becomes a lot more efficient you can get Mountain bike or road versions and eventually you just forget you are clipped in.

Insurance wise check out British cycling membership in case of any accident they are excellent.

Mainly just enjoy it because when you are out it’s just brilliant for clearing the head of clutter not to mention the other fitness benefits
Will put in my twopence worth. As @discopop says above - clipless pedals are great as they keep your feet in the correct position, yes there is a correct position - most people ride in the most inefficient position, pedal in the arch of the foot, pedal with the widest part of your foot on the pedal. This is the most efficient way as it transfers the most power to the pedal and therefore makes it easier - which has to be a good idea.

Get some mudguards for the grotty weather. Nothing worse than getting to work filthy from the roads.

Nothing better than a ride to work. After just a few days you will feel the difference - you will actually feel like starting work.

Don’t worry about the roads, there are more good drivers that will give you room and be courteous than bad drivers who won’t.

Keep warm in winter by buying a decent pair of gloves, you may be amazed at how cold your hands can get whilst on a bike.

Enjoy your cycling, I do, I love every minute on a bike.
Cheers lads.

Just had a look at that British Cycling website, I’ll read more into that.

As for pedals I remember from teaching Spinning classes that once your feet are held in, the pull up is as important as the push down to use all the muscle groups in the leg and to get efficiency in your revolutions. The leg should be relaxing at any point. Obviously with just a pedal you can only push and therefore use half the muscles available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve not had a bicycle since I was a kid but I’ve just bought one so that I can ride to-and-from work (4miles away) and to-and-from my my Sister’s (7miles away). I actually used to be a spinning instructor but never had a bicycle as an adult.

Will only be riding on dry days and the rides are only going to be leisurely rather than for fitness, that can be a side-positive. Mainly doing it to save money on petrol and to use my car less for green reasons (I’m getting more green conscious as I get older).

I haven’t spent a fortune but didn’t want to buy some shite that wouldn’t last long or that was ugly looking. Saw some cracking models that were between £1-2k but went for the nicest looking one I could find for £500.

Having not had a bicycle since I was a kid, I actually know very little about them. Are there certain things I should do or shouldn’t do?

Should I get insurance (is that even a thing with bicycles?)?
Should I do anything to the bicycle on a regular basis to keep it working well?
Do I get it serviced regularly like a car?
Where are the best places for repairs or new tyres when needed?

Also, if cycling wear is advisable, is there cycling clothing available that isn’t the tight Lycra stuff (that look isn’t for me at all!)? And where’s the best place to get it from?

As @Manchester1894 has suggested, I’d also recommend Decathlon as the most cost efficient way to get all your cycling accessories, gear, and even bikes. Their stuff has never let me down, despite previously going to “real” cycling shops and being persuaded to part with a lot more cash than needed.

I’ve not had a bicycle since I was a kid but I’ve just bought one so that I can ride to-and-from work (4miles away) and to-and-from my my Sister’s (7miles away). I actually used to be a spinning instructor but never had a bicycle as an adult.

Will only be riding on dry days and the rides are only going to be leisurely rather than for fitness, that can be a side-positive. Mainly doing it to save money on petrol and to use my car less for green reasons (I’m getting more green conscious as I get older).

I haven’t spent a fortune but didn’t want to buy some shite that wouldn’t last long or that was ugly looking. Saw some cracking models that were between £1-2k but went for the nicest looking one I could find for £500.

Having not had a bicycle since I was a kid, I actually know very little about them. Are there certain things I should do or shouldn’t do?

Should I get insurance (is that even a thing with bicycles?)?
Should I do anything to the bicycle on a regular basis to keep it working well?
Do I get it serviced regularly like a car?
Where are the best places for repairs or new tyres when needed?

Also, if cycling wear is advisable, is there cycling clothing available that isn’t the tight Lycra stuff (that look isn’t for me at all!)? And where’s the best place to get it from?

@Dave Ewing's Back 'eader , he's your man...…….

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.