Bought A Bicycle - Tips And Advice, Please...

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
As @Manchester1894 has suggested, I’d also recommend Decathlon as the most cost efficient way to get all your cycling accessories, gear, and even bikes. Their stuff has never let me down, despite previously going to “real” cycling shops and being persuaded to part with a lot more cash than needed.
Me too. I had a B'twin hybrid bike I let a friend who borrowed it keep, wish I hadn't now. Decathlon's gear is usually good stuff and very reasonably priced.

Cycling, in traffic, in rush hour? Wear a suit of armour.
The main reason I’ve decided to do it because I’ve driven the route for years and almost all of the route is separate from the road.

It’s almost like a cycle road of its own for long stretches.

If anyone knows it: down Shaftesbury Avenue in Timperley, over Brooklands roundabout (which you’re supposed to dismount over, there are signs on the approaches to the roundabout saying so - yet loads of people carry on cycling over it!), onto Altrincham Road in Baguley where the cycle path is on the pavement, down Moor Rd and Hollyhedge.

Here’s an example of the stretch going past the Broomwood in Timperley:
SAM_2909ce.jpg

These two cyclists are actually on the road, the actual cycle path is to their left that is separated from the road, and then the footpath is to the left of that where the walker is.

Here’s another bit:
14761706647_be32dd665e_b.jpg

Cycle path barrier separating you from road traffic. It’s a great set-up.

Honestly drivers, I’ll be using the designated cycle paths and dismounting at the roundabout unlike a number of the cyclists out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. I had a B'twin hybrid bike I let a friend who borrowed it keep, wish I hadn't now. Decathlon's gear is usually good stuff and very reasonably priced.

Got one of their road bikes & done plenty of miles on it, and been out with mates riding bikes worth 3 or 4 times the cost, no problem. (My weight was a problem, but that’s a different story ;-)

As @Manchester1894 has suggested, I’d also recommend Decathlon as the most cost efficient way to get all your cycling accessories, gear, and even bikes. Their stuff has never let me down, despite previously going to “real” cycling shops and being persuaded to part with a lot more cash than needed.
Cheers mate I’ll check that place out. It’s in Stockport isn’t it?

Got one of their road bikes & done plenty of miles on it, and been out with mates riding bikes worth 3 or 4 times the cost, no problem. (My weight was a problem, but that’s a different story ;-)
I'm no expert In cycles but if people who only buy trendy labels want to pay a lot more for a cool badge on their bike, fool them. Decathlon bikes offer solid value for money. Also, some of the hiking/ fishing gear and camping accessories are also very good quality and excellent value.

Cheers lads.

Just had a look at that British Cycling website, I’ll read more into that.

As for pedals I remember from teaching Spinning classes that once your feet are held in, the pull up is as important as the push down to use all the muscle groups in the leg and to get efficiency in your revolutions. The leg should be relaxing at any point. Obviously with just a pedal you can only push and therefore use half the muscles available.

You can perform the same push and pull trick with flat pedals with extended niipples and a pair of 5ten super sticky technology rubber soled shoes..which also operate super sticky in wet or dry and if yku buy the right pair (Aescent/Access) theyll double-up and act like a pair of trainers for walking about (the aes/acc models are more approach shke than cycle specific having more flexing for walking, something an spd shoe wont)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.