Bradley Lowery RIP x

Did Defoe ever do anything to be low in peoples' imagination?
OK he's a footballer and some can be a bunch of arseholes but I never heard Defoe was anything other than a footballer who scored goals just about everywhere he played.
But nobody can deny he's been brilliant with young Bradley.
Agreed. "Defoe has gone up in my estimation"; that puzzles me. I've never had any strong thought about him, positive or nagative (apart from whenever he scored against us). He doesn't come across as particularly gobby, no more than a large section of the footballing profession. Maybe enjoys the trappings his job brings (flash car, nice bit of bling, nice bit of female company). A lot of people would do the same. It's not a hanging offence.

What I particularly like about Defoe is that throughout this he's never once given the impression it's in any way a publicity stunt or merely a 'task' he's been told to undertake by his Club as an 'ambassador'. His warmth, the continued effort he has made to be there for this young lad and how clearly upset he was in today's press conference all show that he is genuinely concerned for Bradley's condition.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if, after he's finally out of his suffering, he doesn't continue to support the family without the glare of the press and encourages other players to carry out similar roles.

I for one applaud him!
Great post, let's do just that when Bournemouth come to us.

There was a poll on here a few years ago about footballers you didn't like, I named Jermaine Defoe.
He's proved who's the bigger man. Total respect to him.

Agreed. "Defoe has gone up in my estimation"; that puzzles me. I've never had any strong thought about him, positive or nagative (apart from whenever he scored against us). He doesn't come across as particularly gobby, no more than a large section of the footballing profession. Maybe enjoys the trappings his job brings (flash car, nice bit of bling, nice bit of female company). A lot of people would do the same. It's not a hanging offence.
I'm sure I read that he's had a few relatives die in recent years including young ones. Bradley's death is going to hit him hard. Credit to him for allowing himself to get so close to someone who's fate is cruelly sealed

I think people remember him putting in a transfer request the day after West Ham went down.

Didn't he also advertise a personal assistant role with all kinds of tasks for a pittance pay?

Not saying these things arse me in any way but I believe they're what people are on about when they say he's"gone up in their estimation"

I think people remember him putting in a transfer request the day after West Ham went down.

Didn't he also advertise a personal assistant role with all kinds of tasks for a pittance pay?

Not saying these things arse me in any way but I believe they're what people are on about when they say he's"gone up in their estimation"

It was 60k a year I think for his assistant. Seems a decent lad to me. Shame for the poor boy. Hope he does not suffer for too long as bad as that may sound.

Possibly. The thing about the personal assistant doesn't come across particularly well, to be honest. As for leaving West Ham after they dropped, Hammers fans would be pissed off with that. As for fans of other clubs? I'm not sure. At the end of the day, he's a professional footballer, and if the opportunity to keep playing in the top flight arises, a lot of player would do the same. Moreso if they have no lifelong affection to the club.

Just watched a clip where Defoe was asked about Bradley at his unveiling today at Bournemouth. It's tough to watch without crying. It's plain to see that he had genuine affection for little Bradley and his family.

Such a brave little kid, and thoughts are with his family. Full credit to Defoe too, clearly a very genuine, nice guy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.