Brandon Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester_lalala said:
The arguement about being to lightweight for the prem does my nut in. He's got loads of talent, he will make it in the prem weather he's tiny or built like a tank.

No one is debating his ability and talent,he has it in spades........I just think he has some developing to do regards his physique,he might well be fast as a whippet but I think he could be stronger on the ball,something that will come naturally.

I'd like him to fulfil that development away from the pressure of the Premiership,somewhere he will get regular games and somewhere his confidence will develop at a similar rate.

The way Van Gaal has done it at United has been superb; he's given Wilson and McNair a taste of first team football without being reliant on them and taken them out of the firing line at the right time. They will now go back for preseason knowing what's required of Premier League players. This season should have seen Barker, Celina, Byrne, Kean Bryan and Angelino given sporadic minutes as a reward for their accomplished performances in the EDS; the other day was a great opportunity after going 3 up against 10 man WBA. Instead we see the likes of Jovetic and Milner, players who's time at the club is coming to an end regardless.

Moving forward with a view to maximising the potential of this academy, we need a coach with a Dutch mentality to youth integration; either Koeman or De Boer would be decent options, while Rodgers and Pocchettino have played a part in the development of some of the leagues best young players; the likes of Kane, Chambers and Sterling would never have even got a debut under Pellegrini.

If we don't hire a proper coach next season, then it's important that we find Brandon the right loan; youth football is too easy for him at times, and he should be challenged technically, mentally and physically next season. The Championship would be a good starting point, at a club like Derby where McLaren is doing a good job with the likes of Hughes and Thorne. Villa already have a lot of options wide left, including a couple of their own youth products, so I'm not sure they'd prioritise BB's development with no long-term benefit for themselves.

.A. said:
The way Van Gaal has done it at United has been superb; he's given Wilson and McNair a taste of first team football without being reliant on them and taken them out of the firing line at the right time. They will now go back for preseason knowing what's required of Premier League players. This season should have seen Barker, Celina, Byrne, Kean Bryan and Angelino given sporadic minutes as a reward for their accomplished performances in the EDS; the other day was a great opportunity after going 3 up against 10 man WBA. Instead we see the likes of Jovetic and Milner, players who's time at the club is coming to an end regardless.

Moving forward with a view to maximising the potential of this academy, we need a coach with a Dutch mentality to youth integration; either Koeman or De Boer would be decent options, while Rodgers and Pocchettino have played a part in the development of some of the leagues best young players; the likes of Kane, Chambers and Sterling would never have even got a debut under Pellegrini.

If we don't hire a proper coach next season, then it's important that we find Brandon the right loan; youth football is too easy for him at times, and he should be challenged technically, mentally and physically next season. The Championship would be a good starting point, at a club like Derby where McLaren is doing a good job with the likes of Hughes and Thorne. Villa already have a lot of options wide left, including a couple of their own youth products, so I'm not sure they'd prioritise BB's development with no long-term benefit for themselves.

I disagree actually. I think people expect too much and when Barker did play for the first team in the friendly in Abu Dhabi he was awful. The pressure told and he wanted to please the crowd but failed to take the ball with him most of the time. These are good players at the level they currently play. Most have not played at that level/age group for long and City fans are expecting them to run before they can walk. Kane's done fantastically well at Spuds but he's already been out on loan about 4 times... our young players need to be given opportunities at a higher level before they are used at City.

We want to win the cup games and with our younger players you don't know whether they will step up or make a mistake. It's fine lines but I don't think we will see full integration from the academy until 2016/17 season. Kane didn't set the world alight on loan either and I think we will be doing ourselves a lot of good in the long term by adequately developing our younger talents and giving them until 22/23 before they fulfil roles in our first team squads. It's rare to see the consistency in performances from players younger than that, and people cover poor performances with the "they're only young tag". At our level we can't accept poorer performances and loan spells to develop our current talents should help them find consistency.

supercity88 said:
.A. said:

I disagree actually. I think people expect too much and when Barker did play for the first team in the friendly in Abu Dhabi he was awful. The pressure told and he wanted to please the crowd but failed to take the ball with him most of the time. These are good players at the level they currently play. Most have not played at that level/age group for long and City fans are expecting them to run before they can walk. Kane's done fantastically well at Spuds but he's already been out on loan about 4 times... our young players need to be given opportunities at a higher level before they are used at City.

We want to win the cup games and with our younger players you don't know whether they will step up or make a mistake. It's fine lines but I don't think we will see full integration from the academy until 2016/17 season. Kane didn't set the world alight on loan either and I think we will be doing ourselves a lot of good in the long term by adequately developing our younger talents and giving them until 22/23 before they fulfil roles in our first team squads. It's rare to see the consistency in performances from players younger than that, and people cover poor performances with the "they're only young tag". At our level we can't accept poorer performances and loan spells to develop our current talents should help them find consistency.

in no way was he awful he only played 45 minutes in a FRIENDLY, where kolarov barely passed to him. Of course its rare to see young players perform consistently there young players thats what happens. they need to be allowed to make mistakes if your expecting world class youngsters straight away we will never have a young player in the team. Sterling, kane, shaw and stones would never play if that was the case.

why do they have to be 22 or 23 to be a first team player ? sterling wouldn't be playing for another 4 years for liverpool.

I know it's the Championship, but anyone saying he is too small for English football, look at Bryan Clough's Grandson at Bolton, going to be a great player.

I agree he would benefit from filling out a bit more, but it isn't a make or break factor.

My personal opinion would be to try and loan him out abroad, preferably Spain or Netherlands - the game there is suited to more technical players. I think he would thrive there.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
supercity88 said:
.A. said:

If we don't hire a proper coach next season, then it's important that we find Brandon the right loan; youth football is too easy for him at times, and he should be challenged technically, mentally and physically next season. The Championship would be a good starting point, at a club like Derby where McLaren is doing a good job with the likes of Hughes and
Thorne. Villa already have a lot of options wide left, including a couple of their own youth products, so I'm not sure they'd prioritise BB's development with no long-term benefit for themselves.

I disagree actually. I think people expect too much and when Barker did play for the first team in the friendly in Abu Dhabi he was awful. The pressure told and he wanted to please the crowd but failed to take the ball with him most of the time. These are good players at the level they currently play. Most have not played at that level/age group for long and City fans are expecting them to run before they can walk. Kane's done fantastically well at Spuds but he's already
been out on loan about 4 times... our young players need to be given opportunities at a higher level before they are used at City.

in no way was he awful he only played 45 minutes in a FRIENDLY, where kolarov barely passed to him. Of course its rare to see young players perform consistently there young players thats what happens. they need to be allowed to make mistakes if your expecting world class youngsters straight away we will never have a young player in the team. Sterling, kane, shaw and stones would never play if that was the case.

why do they have to be 22 or 23 to be a first team player ? sterling wouldn't be playing for another 4 years for liverpool.

There's an old saying in football if their good enough they are old enough.

I don't think he's ready, personally. I mean he is a great talent but looked average in a couple of matches this year against a higher standard of opposition. Most noticeably against Schalke for the youth team, when their full-back completely and utterly marked him out of the game, rendering him ineffective. He also didn't make an impression for the first team against Hamburg, although didn't see the ball too much. This doesn't mean much except that he's still learning and should continue to learn, preferably on loan next season.

People are so desperate to see these kids in the first team that they'd see them thrown in despite not being ready. It's an improved generation of young players coming through and the better ones may be ready when they're closer to the age of the previous generation, which has been another failure (Cole, Hiwula, Evans, Drury, Plummer, etc.). Lopes and Denayer are both pushing 20 now and by no coincidence look the closest to being ready. And why? Because they have been toughened up and gained experience playing against men. Look at Barca and Bayern... Pedro was 21/22 when he really broke through at Barca by getting more than a small handful of games. Busquets was 20/21. Bartra was 22/23. Muller was 20/21. Schweinsteiger was 20/21. Are you see a pattern here? There will of course be exceptions, usually super talents, but even some of the world's best players were still in the B/second teams at the age of 19/20. Yet we get complaints at the lack of 17/18/19 year olds in the team because of a complete impatience down to the lack of youths in recent years when the standard has been low... Razak, Ibrahim, Cunningham, McGivern, Roman... only Suarez deserved more of a chance than he got (in his final season).

Pozo showed how hard the transition is without some experience first. Unless a super-talent, most 17 or 18 year olds will be like that in the first team. Muscled out of the game and struggling to impose themselves. BTW what has that first team experience done for Pozo? He's been quite disappointing for the EDS since and it looks like they'll loan him to Malaga next year, which is a good move.

None of our EDS players are so exceptional that they scream "First team. NOW!" like a Raheem Sterling probably did and thus shouldn't be forced into the first team. They should follow the course of Huws, Rusnak, Lopes and Denayer, who benefited from good loan spells (but Huws and Rusnak were rightfully not deemed good enough and sold for money). .A. went on about Wilson and McNair, but these two have contributed little to United and both are back in the reserves now because they aren't very good (Wilson has promise). Let's see how Van Gaal's 'youth policy' looks after their planned £150m spending spree next summer. He's used these players mostly because of United's injury crisis', not because he wanted to. When he signs more "Gaalacticos" I think at most you might see James Wilson (who is being overhyped and has shown little besides energy and pace so far) on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.