Breaking records/stats thread

I can for see that a lot of Man City fans may not like what I am about to say. Although Sergio will beat that record either tonight or against WBA on Saturday. Yes Sergio will. have broken the record in fewer games The record that Eric Brook has as far as I am aware only takes account of League and FA Cup games. So surely we should do the same for Sergio, and take away all his goals and games from both the League Cup and European games. then we can compare the 2 strikers records. Which will no doubt still be an impressive record.
Brook's record includes all first team competitive games which, at that time, included League, FA Cup and Charity Shield. Aguero's follows the same logic - Europe, League, FAC, LC and Community Shield. Other players, for example Meredith (and Dickov for arguments sake) also included Test Matches and/or playoffs, while Bell & Lee's includes Texaco Cup, Anglo-Italian etc. In ten years time there could be a new competition for all teams called City which is treated like a true competitive fixture. So we can only go off what exists at the time.

Typically when Brook was playing there were 22 teams in the Division he played in, while Aguero only has 20 teams in his Division, so should we only include the first 38 League games of Brook's season each year? Also, some of Brook's goals were scored in Division Two. Both men have taken penalties but should we discount these? It's a nightmare trying to equate one era with another but all we can do is look at the record and say whether he has surpassed it or not. Tonight, hopefully, Aguero will make it 178 and by the end of the season who knows how high the figure will be - 200 maybe?

Of course, Aguero's goals per game ratio is much more impressive than any of the other people in our top scorers list.

There is of course a League goals record which Aguero is also closing in on for City. He's currently 29 behind Johnson & Brook, so again fingers crossed that goes within the next year.

Comparing eras is always difficult. I remember when Silva passed Bell's international caps record a blue saying, 'ah, but that's for Spain not England'. Well without being disrespectful to any player I think many of Spain's achievements are much greater than the England team Bell played in (maybe if England had had more Bells it would've been different?). Hart's since passed Bell's record as well of course.

On all these records, let's just celebrate the fact that we now have players who are true legends at our club and that these are men who thoroughly deserve their place in history.

Brook's record of 177 is wrong. He actually scored 3 more goals for us, meaning it's 180. The three extra were scored in 1939/40, when the league was abandoned after just 3 games. But he scored in one of those so that should certainly count. The other two were in games played in the wartime league so probably shouldn't.

So Sergio still needs one goal to equal the record and two to beat it.

Update: Thanks to Gary James for pointing out that the 3 games in 1939 games (Leicester, Bury & Chesterfield) were expunged & replayed in 1946/47 so Brook's goal in the first of those didn't count officially.

None of the wartime goals count either as these were not official FL or FAC competitions. They were regional leagues and if we do try and include them that would be wrong and would also mean that another player is the record holder not Brook anyway - Alec Herd for example scored 185 goals for City in competitive games plus wartime matches and Horace Barnes scored 198 goals.

I used to look at the record books as a kid in the late 60's and think we'd never get anyone anywhere near those Brooks/Johnson records even less so as loyalty seemed to leave football.

Naples on the wednesday night, and the Arsenal game on sunday afternoon. The actual trip isn't the longest we could face (3 hours, according to google), but that game will be intense. Fly back after the game, have thursday off, a normal training session on friday and a light session on saturday.

They will play Thursday night as they are in Europa league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.