Brentford (H) - PL | Post Match Thread

IMG-20240914-WA0006.jpg

Phew! Brentford Gave Us a Game!

I'd barely looked up & we were already a goal down. WTF! The Bees came flying out the traps, & caught us cold with a sucker punch. It looked like both Stones & Ederson went for the same ball & both pulled out, making the ball bounce up, only for Wissa to rise like a fuckin salmon & bullet header the ball in.

We looked shell-shocked & couldn't get composed on the ball as Brentford were all over us. We were still staggering punch-drunk minutes later, after being floored by their opener on 22 seconds, when Brentford got a corner & almost scored again! The ball was swept toward our goal, but thankfully Ederson saved instinctively with his knee, & we belted the ball to safety.

We managed to compose ourselves, & after a hairy first 10 minutes, we began to get on the ball, albeit Brentford were holding their own & looking dangerous in attack. Fair Play to them. They came to give us a game, & a game is what we had on our hands!

IMG-20240914-WA0003.jpg

HOWEVER, cometh the hour, striketh the Viking Meat Shield! Kovacic received the ball in midfield & sprayed a pass to Captain Walker, who strode forward & passed to KDB who was surrounded in the area. Kev failed to control the ball properly, but it spun forward breaking to Erling, to swivel & shoot with his right boot, into the bottom left hand corner of the net. City 1-1 Brentford.

We continued to press forward, but Brentford were putting up stiff resistance. They were composed in possession, & well marshalled in defence & attack. Brentford were looking seriously good up to this point.

However, not long after the equaliser, Ederson played an inch perfect long pass toward Haaland, who shrugged off the Brentford defender, broke clear & chipped a deft ball over the flailing arm of the keeper for what proved to be the eventual winner. We toiled away for the remainder of the half, maintaining our slender advantage to go in at half-time ahead.

IMG-20240914-WA0004.jpg

Pep brought on Rodders & Gvardiol for Lewis & Kovacic at the restart & the battle resumed. The more the match wore on, the stronger we were looking, & around the 70 minute mark, Haaland amongst others had a glut of chances, one of which agonisingly struck the post.

By now it was only their keeper stopping us from putting clear Sky Blue water between us. Erling was desperate to become the first top flight player since the 1930s to score a treble hat-trick, but it wasn't to be.

IMG-20240914-WA0005.jpg

This is DEFINITELY one of those tricky matches that I'm glad we prevailed & is out of the way. We were scrappy & wasteful at times, but were much improved for the last 30 minutes of the game.

KDB had a good match & it was great to see Rodri back. Stones got a much needed run out, as did Walker & Jack, & Savinho continues to show great promise, looking like a re-imagining of Riyad Mahrez.

No one stood out supreme today, but Alfie's boy gets my MoTM for the equaliser & subsequent winner. Haaland is visibly getting more involved in games & he looks as fit & as deadly as I've ever seen him.

GettyImages-2171976131.jpg

I'm glad this one's over. It's the first match of a heavy schedule for us after the International break. Given the shaky performance, 3 points is 3 points, ESPECIALLY considering Liverpool's shock 0-1 home defeat to Forest!

Roll on the return of the new format Champions League!

Big 3 points & a few tired players after a pointless international break.

Great subs by pep again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.