Brentford (H) | Post-Match Thread

Centre backs don’t have to do that much running generally that they need rotating, it’s just Pep has chosen to do it because we’ve got 5 of them and he’s trying to keep them all happy.

Yep, I would agree with this also. I just hate the feeling that we'll concede every time the other team crosses the halfway line and I've never felt as secure as I did with Dias and Stones the season Dias came in. Immense stuff.

They created far more goal scoring chances than us, set up to play us and played to the plan, how did they get lucky? You don't win games by having more possession but creating fuck all, they did deserve to win the game and they did win the game
Ok. Opinions. I maintain they weren’t the better team yesterday, and neither were we. It was shit from all which warranted a shit draw. They got lucky with the officiating. The ref killed any tempo we were trying to build and made a scrappy situation more scrappy. To get through a low block tempo is so important.

We dominated, but couldn’t unpick the lock. Their tactic - read Frank’s analysis on their website - was to hit a long ball, bypassing the midfield, on to Toney’s head. They wanted/needed the first goal. Not sure that made them the better team, given the way we were in control for most of the game (and I’m not on about the Possession Cup). An ultra low block with a ref turning a blind eye - it was shit and they got a win they didn’t expect.

Hindsight - we may not have prepared properly, possibly didn’t look at the way they got results against Brighton, United and Chelsea. We may not have taken note of how Arsenal got a result at their place. Yesterday probably wasn’t the game for Gundo & Akanji to play in. But who the fuck knows. Understandable given how many matches we’ve played and how many times we’ve had to break down a defensive team. Must be exhausting. But simply saying they were the better team on the day because we didn’t win a second ball masks any proper analysis of the match.

They were/are poor, we were poor, a poor game, it happens. Crap that it happened in our last game for ages, but it was always going to happen.

Yep, I would agree with this also. I just hate the feeling that we'll concede every time the other team crosses the halfway line and I've never felt as secure as I did with Dias and Stones the season Dias came in. Immense stuff.
It’d really help if we stopped teams crossing at will, we never seem to get a tackle or block in when they attempt to cross

I agree. But would add that the midfield is not functioning right either if Kev is off key like yesterday we struggle.
We are not creating overloads play is congested, slow and lateral. The key feature of yesterday's game indeed Chelsea as well was the transition when we lost possession, with us always looking vulnerable and likely to concede.
The league is still there to be won but we need to be better as in reality a 5 point gap probably flatters us.
We have massive problems in midfield when we play both Gundogan and De Bruyne as they both play high and we are vulnerable on the counter attack. Bernardo his vital to us and it's massively important he plays centrally, I hate seen him out wide right like yesterday. Bernardo, KDB and Rodri is our best midfield three in my opinion.

As you said, No overloads yesterday was a huge problem we were so lethargic and passive. Everything was going through the middle and that's exactly what Brentford wanted. I know Jack gets stick on here but it shows how much we need him too because he keeps his width hugs the by line another thing we didn't do yesterday was stretch Brentford. It was just a really bad off day but credit to Brentford too they were outstanding! It's mad to think Brentford and Brighton are by fat the two best teams that turned up at our place this season.

I personally would have used all 5 at half time or just afterwards.

Gundogan, Cancelo, Rodri, de Bruyne and Akanji were well below par.

Then bring on Ake, Lewis, Philips, Grealish and Mahrez moving Foden and Silva into midfield.

pep could have use Grealish down the middle instead of Gundogan and put him in his villa role and let's see

Very very poor performance, proper down about it today. Struggling to remember any real massive chances that we created?

As I posted in the match thread, baffles me why the bench wasn't used, that's one of the big advantages we have on other teams, we have some fucking brilliant players waiting to come on and change the game if it's not going our way, fucking use them!

Grealish must be feeling a bit confused, I know Pep rotates a lot but he doesn't seem to be allowed to get in any sort of rhythm. He will have a great game and then find himself on the bench next game. What annoyed me is he didn't even get a chance to come on and change the game yesterday. It's odd.

If we are all honest we aren't playing well at the minute in general, we've been fortunate to have only lost points in this game. Although we showed great fight against Fulham with 10 men, that could have easily gone the other way. It took a KDB free kick special against Leicester to get the win. Just not flowing properly right now. Hopefully this break does us good.

Our main playmaker is Bernardo.
Gundog can do it, so can Rodri, but either one or the other and not both.
Palmer isn't the finished article yet - but he will get there.
So please don't say that we haven't got a playmaker.
We don’t have a David Silva type player. Someone in his prime could deliver killer balls. We have plenty of nice footballers who on their day can deliver but nothing constant.

This is not a dig at them but a realisation that we struggle to create clear goal scoring opportunities and we dont play in triangles anymore. Instead we have possession players who can dribble and recycle possession.

Camped out just outside the box for most the game. We took hardly and shots and we struggled to combine 2/3 passes. Width is an issue and we then leave ourselves open for any team to break and score.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.