Brentford (H) | Post-Match Thread

Shows to me why I don't see us winning the Champions League.

We look amazing when teams sit back but get at us, close us down and press and the midfield and defence fall apart too easily.
It’s a good point but there are still no teams in Europe we aren’t capable of beating. Europe remains weak as piss. I expect Liverpool to see Madrid off and that will just leave them and Bayern for us to worry about. The fact we’ve still not won it purely on Pep

Wonder how much chopping and changing of the back line has to do with how open we looks at times when teams actually get after us. I genuinely have no idea when the last time I thought I could predict our back 4. Walkers injury really hasn’t helped, but we never seem to have a steady Centre back pairing at the moment.

Thought I'd be calmer today after a night's sleep but am still fucking livid at yesterday's game. Nowhere near good enough from either our lads or Pep. If you have the players, then the template to compete with and beat us is there for all to see and Pep just sits there like a plum admiring it. Who'd a thunk that Brentford would be playing long ball after long ball to Toney or giving a masterclass in football's darker arts yesterday?

To be fair he’s been pretty poor when called upon this season.

He lost form post injury but the signs were he was finding it again.Taking him out of the side continually will do nothing to get him back up to the world class level he is capable of.
We need his presence and his leadership,he should be paired with Stones and allowed to build the partnership that can be the best in Europe.

It’s a good point but there are still no teams in Europe we aren’t capable of beating. Europe remains weak as piss. I expect Liverpool to see Madrid off and that will just leave them and Bayern for us to worry about. The fact we’ve still not won it purely on Pep
Not just Pep.
We should have win it under Pellegrini.

Ok. Opinions. I maintain they weren’t the better team yesterday, and neither were we. It was shit from all which warranted a shit draw. They got lucky with the officiating. The ref killed any tempo we were trying to build and made a scrappy situation more scrappy. To get through a low block tempo is so important.

We dominated, but couldn’t unpick the lock. Their tactic - read Frank’s analysis on their website - was to hit a long ball, bypassing the midfield, on to Toney’s head. They wanted/needed the first goal. Not sure that made them the better team, given the way we were in control for most of the game (and I’m not on about the Possession Cup). An ultra low block with a ref turning a blind eye - it was shit and they got a win they didn’t expect.

Hindsight - we may not have prepared properly, possibly didn’t look at the way they got results against Brighton, United and Chelsea. We may not have taken note of how Arsenal got a result at their place. Yesterday probably wasn’t the game for Gundo & Akanji to play in. But who the fuck knows. Understandable given how many matches we’ve played and how many times we’ve had to break down a defensive team. Must be exhausting. But simply saying they were the better team on the day because we didn’t win a second ball masks any proper analysis of the match.

They were/are poor, we were poor, a poor game, it happens. Crap that it happened in our last game for ages, but it was always going to happen.
Ok, short analysis, goals win games, they could have been 2 up before they scored, apart from fodens goal there keeper had very little to do, so is controlling a game, keeping the ball with no end product? They have a style of play and played it, they had about 7 clear goal scoring chances and scored 2

The players who’ve played for the club and the fans for the past 4/5 seasons then.
We were wank yesterday, and yes I think some players will have had one eye on the World Cup, so will players at other clubs, it’s been an odd start to the season, break time now, get the World Cup out of the way and we will hopefully go on a big 15-20 game winning streak. I’ve seen nothing except lacking Walker to be overly concerned about. Will be champions with 4 games to spare imo.
You clearly didn't read the post I was replying to, and yes other clubs players might have an eye on the world Cup, but Arsenal still won, spurs still won, the dippers still won, Newcastle still won, so the world Cup thing is bollocks in my opinion, and I wish I shared your optimism about winning with 4 games to spare

Not just Pep.
We should have win it under Pellegrini.
Not sure you could make a legitimate case for us being better than Madrid over the 2 legs. Was a good chance passed up though whilst he stood with his hands in his pockets during the last 20 minutes without us really going for the goal we needed

I can understand the Sane shout to be honest mate. Electric pace and direct. Something different to what was on the pitch and not working.
Think everybody is probably a bit more miffed than they normally would be due to us not playing again now until the end of the year. I was hoping we'd limp to another 3 points as we haven't been playing particularly well as of late.
If we were playing again next week it could be argued it probably wasn't a bad think as it could have been a rocket up the backside we needed.
I just think we've won 3/4 titles since he left and done better in the CL, so his pace can't have been adding that much.

I just think we've won 3/4 titles since he left and done better in the CL, so his pace can't have been adding that much.
We could well win this title too and I'm certainly not writing us off. If any anything I'm content at being 5 points behind with how we've been playing.
We know how good they can be when they're at it like the first half against the rags.
Found it a bit concerning when Haaland and somebody else were saying they were 'tired' so early on in the season though. Don't know whether that is something to do with it or some of them have had one eye on the world cup for a couple of weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.