Brentford (H) | Post-Match Thread

This defeat has been coming for a few weeks. We got lucky last week and got ourselves out of a hole. We haven't really played well since we ripped the rags a new one a couple of months ago. However, it's hardly the end of world, even if the media make it to be that way. We lost a game of football. We will lose another one or two also, before the end of the season. I still think we are the best team in the PL by some distance and will pick up the trophy again.

You’re right I think. We haven’t been on great form since Copenhagen away, although I thought we actually played well v Fulham considering the red card.

Luckily Pep has got a few weeks to try and work out how to get us going again. We are definitely struggling a bit more to contain counters this season & it’s too simple to say it’s just because of Haaland (its the same when Alvarez plays too).

We’ve also dropped off considerably with set pieces, and dealing with high balls defensively. Walker is a big miss for sure, but these issues were apparent before his injury (I.e v Newcastle away). I’m sure Pep will work it out mind you.

Reactions: PPT
Cancelo. Where is his head at the moment? Gifts the scousers a goal, then red carded, now booked for diving. Disgraceful!
We have 5 centre backs but instead of them being hungry for game time in the two centre back positions they are being used as full backs so 3 of them get a game. No hunger. No competition!
We have a new exciting left back that Pep won't play - what is going on here!
Cancelo is suffering a poor run of form. It happens. Nothing more. He’s still integral to this team.

We are playing a centre half at right back because our 1st choice is out injured and our alternative is a 17 kid with hardly any Premier League experience. Stones has done OK at Rob but I think we both know he will be playing at centre half for England and City when we have a full squad available. We could play over 40 games in 6 months after the WC. All our squad, including our centre backs will get plenty of game time. The most in form will play in the big games.

Our exciting new LB is a squad player and it’s clear Pep doesn’t believe he’s fully ready for the Premier League. He would have gone out on loan had we landed our no1 target Cucurella. I think our manager has enough credit in the bank to judge a player better than most of us could.

Chill folks. We will be fine. Sit back, enjoy the World Cup, hope our players do well and don’t get injured and recharge your batteries for the assault on the quad when we return at Xmas.

Lacking pace and have problems in the wide areas (full-backs and 'wingers') when we set up like we did on Saturday. Despite the song, Bernardo is not a winger and while he can hold a position there it needs someone outside to support the attack and John Stones isn't that either. On the left Cancelo looks mainly to come inside so a first-time left footed cross isn't taken. Cancelo would be better on the right for balance at the moment but we have 5 first-team centre-backs and only 1 experienced Premier League full-back which is muddling selection. Would have been nice to see a bit more of Wilson-Esbrand in recent weeks so he and Gomes might offer a more natural option on the left. It's not really a one-off as the last few games have for me been the flattest run in terms of going forward and creating chances in the last 11 or so years. Pick that side again and I can see us losing a few more games unfortunately

Last edited:
Cancelo is suffering a poor run of form. It happens. Nothing more. He’s still integral to this team.

We are playing a centre half at right back because our 1st choice is out injured and our alternative is a 17 kid with hardly any Premier League experience. Stones has done OK at Rob but I think we both know he will be playing at centre half for England and City when we have a full squad available. We could play over 40 games in 6 months after the WC. All our squad, including our centre backs will get plenty of game time. The most in form will play in the big games.

Our exciting new LB is a squad player and it’s clear Pep doesn’t believe he’s fully ready for the Premier League. He would have gone out on loan had we landed our no1 target Cucurella. I think our manager has enough credit in the bank to judge a player better than most of us could.

Chill folks. We will be fine. Sit back, enjoy the World Cup, hope our players do well and don’t get injured and recharge your batteries for the assault on the quad when we return at Xmas.
Yes, it's a shame Cancelo has dipped probably when we need him most with Kyle Walker injured. Great outlet in an attacking sense, but a bit iffy defensively at the moment.

Think I've just about got over this & the rest of the family have forgiven me for my foul mood post-Brentford.

These defeats are hard to take but in hindsight they are often a turning point for us (see WBA home season before last, Newcastle away before that).

Pep & his team will no doubt be looking at ways to improve & counter teams like Brentford who cause us problems. They don't always get it right (Spurs !) but more often than not they do so it'll be interesting to see what changes are made.

One thing i have noticed about KDB is that on the very rare occassions he starts a game poorly it stays that way for the game. Really need others to step up when he does have an off day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.