Brian Clough interview.

I'll tell you a story about Revie. When I was at college I had a pretty good friend who was a lifelong Arsenal fan. Never missed a home game. It so happens that his stepfather had played for the great Arsenal team of the 1930s. So this guy did have access through his stepfather (who was still alive, I believe) to info that the normal fan does not. Now it so happens that Revie was one of the candidates for the manager's post at Arsenal that, I think, Bertie Mee finally got in ‘66.
Revie came in, sat down in front of the board, and was duly interviewed. They discussed terms. All fine and dandy. Then Revie right at the end said "And now, what about other payments?” It was clear that he meant, by this, under-the-counter stuff. They said, “Mr Revie, there's the door.”
Good player for City. As a manager — somewhat different.
Intresting story . I have a load about Clough. Not be posted on here.
They aren't about his witty one liners or charisma.
save to say , I think both men operated on different levels as a manager behind the scenes.. That's the way 70s football managers were,I'd guess.one and all.
But I think you have to say..that Revie was a good manager...just different in his ways...to "old big head"

The deep root of the rivalry, as I understand it ,is that the two men were from the same area of the North East.it might be even the same town , I've not had time to check.There was an unhealthy competiveness which built up between them from day 1 , which was exacerbated by the two entirely different ways of playing the game , esp 're discipline on the field.
I watched the damned utd movie and more or less dismissed it as any real insight to Clough. The film/ documentary I believe in miracles is absolutely brilliant, showing Clough ,just as he was.

It should also be remembered that ,as dirty as Leeds were, Clough believed in hard men being instilled in his team's. It was CLough who put Roy Mcfarland at the heart of Derby county's defence and won the league , he also, as has been said earlier, signed Larry lloyd from liverpool and Kenny Burns from Birmingham, both very aggressive players. Burns was a proper hard man. He used to look after the 16 year old Trevor Francis ,at the time when our former striker was scoring 4 goals in a match against Ipswich as a 16 year old.
And of course Clough, not Taylor discoverd Stuart Peacre ,one of the hardest left backs to play the game over the last few decades
and it was Clough who signed Roy Keane as a 19 year old from Ireland in later years. The difference was,I think , Clough demanded his players respect the referee and not argue with them . The same could not be said of Review at Leeds by all accounts. They were hard but snide.
Clearly encouraged by Revie. ..they must have been.

However all this discipline, and law and order public front ( he once told the Trent end ,forests vocal terrace , to stop swearing) wasn't the whole truth about the man.

Many many Notts folk know ,that behind the scenes he did just as he wanted to do....and made his money.....
Clough was witter, sharper and more articulate than Revie.
Or he appeared so....

Both men were very good forwards as players. While Revie achieved success at City, Cloughs career was cut short after he broke his leg one boxing day match at Roker Park, the break was so bad ,apparently fans in the ground heard it.....Clough had one of the most outstanding goals per games records of any striker in England at the time of his injury.which ended by career.
I still think that injury, made him bitter ,very bitter.
There were not many better forwards about than Brain Clough in his day.
On one visit to the City Ground, Mrs Vienna's Dad was near the Forest dugout.

At one point during the match, Clough heard him swear, and told him to cut out that sort of language.

After that he always referred to Brian as his mate.

One thing that Clough did , again and again was pick midfield and forward players who, to look at , you'd think he can't play ,didn't look athletic, even akward in style.... Gary Crosby,Gary Parker,his own son Nigel ...but all would come alive on the counter attack ,moving the ball swiftly along the ground dissecting defences,Clough understood the ball moved faster than any man. Players like Scott Gemmil son of Archie, looked like 4 stone wet thru ,as did Brian Rice..frail shy looking men..but could control a ball instantly with one touch ,play a short pass and move game , and contribute to a cohesive fluid style of play.,an attractive game, ..
I've found it fascinating to watch ,from a distance, and was very annoyed when Forest out classed City a few times in 90s., the worst being a home defeat I remember at Maine rd 3nil,when Nigel Clough back heeled a low corner past Dibble on his near post.
They made the game look so easy.,whilst City ,in our bad era couldn't string two passes together.
Very annoying !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.