Brian Clough interview.

I read the book a few years before watching the film and really enjoyed both. But I’m a fan of Peace’s writing and any film with Martin Sheen playing the central character is difficult to fuck up, he’s that brilliant an actor.
"Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way"

He signed Colin Barrett (from us) and Frank Clark - two unlikely left backs for a European Cup and First Division Championship winning team.
I met Colin’s brother in law a couple of years ago in hospital, we were both outpatients. Told me a great story about how Clough arranged to meet Colin in a pub in leek just before he signed him, then let Colin walk home after his ‘interview’

I also think signing Gary Birtles for a pittance from Long Eaton Utd, a half decent local team , was a master stoke, and they pitched this Unkown raw striker into the European cup 1st round match against Liverpool, the then European champions .

Birtles ran Liverpool ragged in the late 70s tie , giving the experienced England international Phil Thompson in partc the run around, helped by the equally ,fast , direct, Tony Woodcock.
Forest 2 Liverpool 0.

Too right. As an aside and not even a claim to fame, I used to be in same Walking Football team as the guy who inherited Birtles' number 9 shirt at Long Eaton Town!

I met Colin’s brother in law a couple of years ago in hospital, we were both outpatients. Told me a great story about how Clough arranged to meet Colin in a pub in leek just before he signed him, then let Colin walk home after his ‘interview’
The story of Clough signing Stuart Pearce is something similar, and I think it goes something like this:

Clough's assistant (not Taylor) waited for Pearce near his car, after a Coventry - for whom Pearce was playing at the time - and asked him if he’d be interested in signing for Forest.

Once Pearce said, "Yes," a meeting was arranged between him and Cloughie, again in his car.

Clough would have loved to have riled "wokies."

Clough was a known homophobe. Look at the way he treat Justin Fashanu.

He'd have no time for the current labour party and I could see him aligning with "The working class party"

He'd have given Farage a big sloppy kiss.

If he was alive I'd have loved to have been proven wrong and he would have backed Corbyn who'd have won the GE with his support.

We will never know, of course, and it was a different age, but I'd guess Cloughie was too intelligent to have fallen for the working class bollocks from what is, at best, a hard right Reform Party. He'd have seen through that, and he wasn't a racist.

He regretted that homophobia. Mrs Clough put him right on a few things and that was one of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.