Brian Horton

One of my favourite managers - made better by him then taking on Macclesfield (my birthplace). I remember going to a Macc pre season friendly away at Clyde with my (then) heavily pregnant wife. We were walking to our seats when a steward told us "you can't sit there - you need to go over there instead as you are an 'away fan'. To which Brian heard and basically said "what the f++k do you think a heavily pregnant woman is going to want to do in a pre-season friendly?" And then said "f++k it - come and sit on the bench with us" :-). (it was peeing down so we went back to our seats soon after - but funny anyway)

He did great for us at a time our club didnt know its arse from its elbow.....,he was a breath of fresh air and provided many of us with a reason to smile again.

A lovely man too,i met him prior to the QPR game and he was very approachable.

I remember his commentary in THAT Gillingham game. When their second goal went in, he said "game over" (or similar). Then, when Dickov scored, he said "City weren't out of it, I knew that" (again, or similar). Cheeky fucker.

Came alive around Easter to stay up twice, we looked gone in 94 and borderline in 95 before the 3 and 2 win sequencies respectively.

We were not mathematically safe in 94 on the last day, but needed a combination of results to go wrong and a 7 goal swing playing a in form Wednesday. In 95 4 teams went down, after Norwich got beat mid week at Leeds we were okay. The great attacking football was occasional, but he did it when needed and down to the wire, and he tightened up a bit after the 5-0 defeat.
Remember that final day at Wednesday and the non stop singing of the Uwe Rosler "go west" song.

I remember his commentary in THAT Gillingham game. When their second goal went in, he said "game over" (or similar). Then, when Dickov scored, he said "City weren't out of it, I knew that" (again, or similar). Cheeky fucker.
Enjoy listening to that 'not entirely honest' comment. Even though I was at Wembley on the day itself, listening to those comments now feel very much part of those 'mad few minutes'.

It is paradoxical that the appointment of Horton did a lot to sting the supporters into opposing Swales. Yet Horton turned out to be one of the best managers for City in that period. Once the fans had their way and Swales was replaced by Lee, we had Alan Ball who was surely the worst.

Yes Swales had to go, but why did Francis Lee feel obliged to appoint one of his mates, who had little or no skills as a manager, to replace Brian Horton?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.