Brian Marwood {merged}

Re: Brian Marwood

grim up north said:
Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:
No mate you dont get it i would imagine it is quite difficult to get the likes of Aguero in with top Euro sides sniffing around. Greedy agents etc I also suspect he does not go into negotiations with a blank cheque book.

How exactly is he supposed to get rid of Ade bearing in mind we are a business I am sure there is a line which he cannot go under.

Marwood is not playing a game on a PC he is operating in the real world.

To many people only see negatives on this board and I think in the greater scheme of things Mancini Marwood and the board have had more success than failure in the transfer market

In the real world, if I could "blow all the other teams out of the water" with transfer fees and wages, I could bring Aguero, Nasri, Silva etc in. It's great that we've got all those players in, but they're not here on 30k a week like Modric is at Spurs, they're on big money, and we've clearly been a club going places, so it's not exactly a hard sell.

Those players aren't here because Marwood is a shrewd mover in the transfer market, they're here because Mancini wants them, we pay the most money, and we're competing for the top trophies.

It depends how you define "success in the transfer market". We've got the majority of the players we wanted, if that's how you define success, then yes we have. But surely there is more to it that that? They have to be on contracts that are sustainable, and it has to be possible to move these players on if we no longer want them, without us still having to pay 50% of their wages!

We had to overspend to begin with to climb from 10th to 1st in 3 seasons, so it is not all Marwoods fault we are in this position. It is also down to Hughes being a moron. But we are where we are, and the fact remains it is Marwood's job to move players on. He's not been able to do that. As you say, it's the real world, and we need to get someone in who has a better real world track record in the transfer market.

All I am asking is how do we get rid of players that is acceptable to the management

We bring someone in, like Galliani, like Levy, like Gill, like David Dein, who have a huge network of contacts at other clubs, who have great relationships with the top agents in football, who are shrewd businessmen and negotiators, who have a solid track record of securing great financial deals for their clubs, who can get the job done and keep both the manager and owners happy.

Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:
Shaelumstash said:
All I am asking is how do we get rid of players that is acceptable to the management

We bring someone in, like Galliani, like Levy, like Gill, like David Dein, who have a huge network of contacts at other clubs, who have great relationships with the top agents in football, who are shrewd businessmen and negotiators, who have a solid track record of securing great financial deals for their clubs, who can get the job done and keep both the manager and owners happy.

Devils Advocate, if owners are not happy and we can blow other clubs out the water with fees and wages why has it not been done

grim up north said:
Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:

Devils Advocate, if owners are not happy and we can blow other clubs out the water with fees and wages why has it not been done

I think it's internal politics. Marwood seems to be held in pretty high regard by Khaldoon for the other work he does at the club - whatever that is. But Marwood wants the responsibility and power that comes with dealing with transfers.

Mancini knows that Marwood is not up to the job with transfers and has probably said as much over the last 2 years, resulting in him falling out with Cook and Marwood, with Khaldoon and the Sheik having to intervene to smooth things over.

Mancini has probably kept his counsel over the last 18 months as he was not in a secure enough position to start a power struggle with Marwood, particularly publicly. Now he has won the league and signed a 5 year contract, he's in a much stronger position.

Given that Marwood has had another abysmal performance during this summer, Mancini has finally taken it public and spoken to the press. This puts huge pressure on Marwood, and I bet he is going bananas behind the scenes.

It's a power battle I fully expect Mancini to win, Khaldoon and Mansour clearly rate him very highly and will not want to lose him. If it is a choice between the two, there is only one winner.

There was someone who did a similar role at Inter that Mancini had a good relationship with who I've heard linked with us before, I can't remember his name, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him here before January if Marwood doesn't do the business by the end of the summer transfer window.

Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:

I think it's internal politics. Marwood seems to be held in pretty high regard by Khaldoon for the other work he does at the club - whatever that is. But Marwood wants the responsibility and power that comes with dealing with transfers.

Mancini knows that Marwood is not up to the job with transfers and has probably said as much over the last 2 years, resulting in him falling out with Cook and Marwood, with Khaldoon and the Sheik having to intervene to smooth things over.

Mancini has probably kept his counsel over the last 18 months as he was not in a secure enough position to start a power struggle with Marwood, particularly publicly. Now he has won the league and signed a 5 year contract, he's in a much stronger position.

Given that Marwood has had another abysmal performance during this summer, Mancini has finally taken it public and spoken to the press. This puts huge pressure on Marwood, and I bet he is going bananas behind the scenes.

It's a power battle I fully expect Mancini to win, Khaldoon and Mansour clearly rate him very highly and will not want to lose him. If it is a choice between the two, there is only one winner.

There was someone who did a similar role at Inter that Mancini had a good relationship with who I've heard linked with us before, I can't remember his name, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him here before January if Marwood doesn't do the business by the end of the summer transfer window.

Its like your in my mind!! Give this man a medal.

This is without a doubt what is truly going on. the next 20 days are gonna be interesting. Well said my friend.

Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:

Thanks for the reasonable non knee jerk answer. Its going to be interesting.

A lot of us appear to trust the press when they talk about what is "really" going on at City, and, of course, no-one would suggest that they don't report the whole truth as objectively as possible, but it does appear that there is yet another game of Chinese whispers going on among sports reporters. It began with statements that Roberto was frustrated at not getting transfer business done "early", then he told reporters that deals were not his job, then he said it was Marwood's job. Some of these stories were confirmed by quotes from the great man, others were not. Then it began to get out of hand. Roberto "blamed" Marwood, now on one site they don't speak to each other and now "apparently" Roberto threatened to resign, and actually handed in his resignation, over a bid (unconfirmed) from PSG for Balotelli. No-one knows if Marwood is frustrated about transfer dealings this summer. What does the Sheikh think? No-one cares as long as the **** can be stirred.

Too many of our fans still seem to believe we have "unlimited" money to spend on players. This has never been the case. City go to a great deal of trouble to identify those players we need. The Sheikh was prepared to pay a so-called "City premium" but quite rightly judges this unnecessary now. No-one can argue thar City should have been held to ransom by Edin Hazard.

The fact remains that City have the strongest (in quality terms) squad in English football. There may be some concern about numbers, but finding players of the right calibre to come and be fourth choice and hardly play at all is difficult. Moving players out when they benefit from the City premium is very difficult. It's no use screaming that it's Marwood's job, so he should do it "simple as". And that is what really drives me mad about some City fans - rumours from the press are taken as gospel, there is something not going like clockwork so it must be someone's fault and they have to be booted out, to be replaced by David Dein, David Gill or, if necessary, Uncle Tom Cobbley. Brian Marwood seems to me to be doing a good job, so lets leave him alone. I don't believe that Roberto's frustration is aimed at him and I believe it's aimed at a difficult situation NOT at the way the club is run. If we're not careful we'll be as bad with Marwood as many fans were with Garry Cooke. Wake up - this is NOT "typical city".

If Mancini has felt the need to speak out his discontent for two consecutive seasons, you can rest assured that it is an issue.

Marwood was given a list of targets (previously agreed with Owner and Chairman and Mancini) which can be reasonably presumed to consist in a couple of options for each role to be covered the progress!!! The transfer window is closes in three weeks, Yet we haven't done any deal or new signing, it's Marwood's responsibility's and he failed to deliver!!!

Oh and do me a favor, don't give me the FFP/balancing book boollx excuse, Surely the FFP was carefully taking into consideration, and targets" have the chairman approval, and Marwood is a football administrator, Not a fucking a accountant!!! next excuse please

The likes of Milan, Juve, Rags, Bayern, RM and Barca have been quite profitably offloading their highly paid scraps to the so called lesser clubs, that is what defines the power and influence of a club and - most of all - what defines the job itself of a sporting director and ability to earn a top salary!!!!

Unless you're so naive to consider the signing of Yaya Toure and David Silva..etc, was due to the power, influence and negotiating skills of he average performances of the tv pundit, don't be stupid, the club had to pay over the odds wages in order to persuade these players to sign for City!

The 'football administrator of MCFC, a football Club who aim themselves to global domination, have miserably failed to offload just about every redundant personnel from 1st team, includes the epic fail of not being able to offload a striker of Ade caratage, not even for the peanuts of 5mil as reported , and I don't give a fuck if Ade hold a lucrative contract (signed by Marwood, btw) because that is why an employer pays a 6 figures salary for!!!

Fcuking clueless, need to explain why did he give (unhappy) AJ a lucrative contract recently?? we all know Johnson made his unhappiness at the lack of playing time well-known, and he could be looking to move on or the club may want to sell!!!? NEW offload problem???? There ya go another offload problem of his own making - Awaiting Marwood New Excuse

A dysfunctional transfer system managed by a fucking gooner - you couldn't make it up

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
A lot of us appear to trust the press when they talk about what is "really" going on at City, and, of course, no-one would suggest that they don't report the whole truth as objectively as possible, but it does appear that there is yet another game of Chinese whispers going on among sports reporters. It began with statements that Roberto was frustrated at not getting transfer business done "early", then he told reporters that deals were not his job, then he said it was Marwood's job. Some of these stories were confirmed by quotes from the great man, others were not. Then it began to get out of hand. Roberto "blamed" Marwood, now on one site they don't speak to each other and now "apparently" Roberto threatened to resign, and actually handed in his resignation, over a bid (unconfirmed) from PSG for Balotelli. No-one knows if Marwood is frustrated about transfer dealings this summer. What does the Sheikh think? No-one cares as long as the **** can be stirred.

Too many of our fans still seem to believe we have "unlimited" money to spend on players. This has never been the case. City go to a great deal of trouble to identify those players we need. The Sheikh was prepared to pay a so-called "City premium" but quite rightly judges this unnecessary now. No-one can argue thar City should have been held to ransom by Edin Hazard.

The fact remains that City have the strongest (in quality terms) squad in English football. There may be some concern about numbers, but finding players of the right calibre to come and be fourth choice and hardly play at all is difficult. Moving players out when they benefit from the City premium is very difficult. It's no use screaming that it's Marwood's job, so he should do it "simple as". And that is what really drives me mad about some City fans - rumours from the press are taken as gospel, there is something not going like clockwork so it must be someone's fault and they have to be booted out, to be replaced by David Dein, David Gill or, if necessary, Uncle Tom Cobbley. Brian Marwood seems to me to be doing a good job, so lets leave him alone. I don't believe that Roberto's frustration is aimed at him and I believe it's aimed at a difficult situation NOT at the way the club is run. If we're not careful we'll be as bad with Marwood as many fans were with Garry Cooke. Wake up - this is NOT "typical city".
The fact also remains that Marwood was brought in by Cook as a mate with no track record. He is a classic example of someone undergoing on the job training with nobody to learn from. I think Mancini's exasperation with this mess is justified and his decision to go public is shrewdly calculated. You're right, a lot of people have made mistakes for us to end up here but Marwood isn't just an innocent patsy, his ineptitude is a big part of the problem.

Shaelumstash said:
grim up north said:
Shaelumstash said:
In the real world, if I could "blow all the other teams out of the water" with transfer fees and wages, I could bring Aguero, Nasri, Silva etc in. It's great that we've got all those players in, but they're not here on 30k a week like Modric is at Spurs, they're on big money, and we've clearly been a club going places, so it's not exactly a hard sell.

Those players aren't here because Marwood is a shrewd mover in the transfer market, they're here because Mancini wants them, we pay the most money, and we're competing for the top trophies.

It depends how you define "success in the transfer market". We've got the majority of the players we wanted, if that's how you define success, then yes we have. But surely there is more to it that that? They have to be on contracts that are sustainable, and it has to be possible to move these players on if we no longer want them, without us still having to pay 50% of their wages!

We had to overspend to begin with to climb from 10th to 1st in 3 seasons, so it is not all Marwoods fault we are in this position. It is also down to Hughes being a moron. But we are where we are, and the fact remains it is Marwood's job to move players on. He's not been able to do that. As you say, it's the real world, and we need to get someone in who has a better real world track record in the transfer market.

This is the same David Gill who lost out to Marwood for Nasri & Silva & still hasn't signed RVP even though they are supposed to be the only people in the race & still has half of Ferguson's failures stuck on the books because he can't find buyers for them ? That David Gill ?

Neville Kneville said:
This is the same David Gill who lost out to Marwood for Nasri & Silva & still hasn't signed RVP even though they are supposed to be the only people in the race & still has half of Ferguson's failures stuck on the books because he can't find buyers for them ? That David Gill ?

I agree that David Gill wouldn't be the improvement we need to bring players in and also add my name to the growing list of posters who feel Marwood needs to step aside and let someone else deal with incoming and outgoing transfers. It's surely no coincidence that both Silva and Nasri arrived whilst Cook was still here and that nobody of that status has arrived since he left. It was blatantly obvious Cook was finding a job for his old Mate at Nike. i.e. Someone with a football history to assist and advise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.