Bring the Noise

To be fair, you’ll have noticed it looked a bit fuller in the 2nd half.

Basically it absolutely pissed down for 2 days over here and did so until about 40 mins in.

The bottom tier is mostly not covered by the roof as we dug down to build so people tend to watch in the concourse if they’ve got kids with them or it’s raining too much.

I’m sorry where do you get the 3rd paragraph from? I sit on the front row of the CB lower and never, in all the years I’ve sat there, have I noticed any empty seats due to the rain! We bring our own tissues/paper towels to wipe our seats dry but we don’t stand in the concourse and I can honestly say I have rarely noticed empty seats in the rain! There were some on the row across the aisle last Tuesday for the Atalanta match but only about 6 or 7 and that had nothing to do with rain!

Not making any assumptions asking you questions, as you are asking me about empty seats and why people don't take up all these £20 tickets that are on offer on travel and exchange

I find myself agreeing with much that you say. I would class myself as at least borderline old school 70s/80s hardcore.

Their departure from matches is partly and infact in the main due to being priced out of going. There is more to it of course. When you have stood on the kippax when we played the rags or Leeds,Liverpool, Everton.....I am afraid like a recent poster on this thread experienced being told off for swearing at the ref, sorry thats not going to football in my world.

Equally the hardcore of those days would go to nearly every game if not every game, home and away. You cannot do that these days unless you are pretty well off, high enough up the pecking order to get away tickets, gone are the days when you could get 10k away fans at games...thus improving the atmosphere.

There are of course many many valid reasons for saying being a City fan now is much better than back then and not just because we were shit. The game has simply changed and at the top level it is now a game for the well off. It is a game for rich foreigners to travel to see the Premier league.

When it comes to atmosphere whilst the game and what is considered acceptable conduct in the stadium are as they are there will never be an atmosphere to match those of the past. To be fair this is only partially the fault of fans being priced out.

As for tempting old fans back with £20 tickets for a midweek cup match against Southampton its not going to work....after all why would we want to go to one match in the full knowledge we would not be going to the final should we get there?

In someways the game and certainly City have improved almost beyond recognition but there was something that made it all worth dodging the odd projectile from the away fans in the kippax, treading in a six inch deep puddle on the way in, and if it wasnt pissing down you would tread in some dog shit instead. Going to Brighton getting absolutely drowned and losing 4 0 in the cup travelling there and back on a shit coach....Getting chased all round St Andrews by nutters on a Tuesday night in the pissing rain...you dont get any of that these days and thats as much as anything is why the old school hardcore is lost for ever and there is no new generation to follow and without those factions there will never be atmosphere in City or any other Premier league stadium.

The audience today is in the main made up of reasonably well off socially sanitised middle class professional people.

I’m sorry where do you get the 3rd paragraph from? I sit on the front row of the CB lower and never, in all the years I’ve sat there, have I noticed any empty seats due to the rain! We bring our own tissues/paper towels to wipe our seats dry but we don’t stand in the concourse and I can honestly say I have rarely noticed empty seats in the rain! There were some on the row across the aisle last Tuesday for the Atalanta match but only about 6 or 7 and that had nothing to do with rain!

Literally every time it rains.

Did you not notice the bottom tier filled up once it stopped? It happens every single time it pisses it down.

Of course not everyone watches in the concourse but just because you don’t doesn’t mean others don’t.

I’m not having a go here, I’d probably go for a beer if it was torrential.

Literally every time it rains.

Did you not notice the bottom tier filled up once it stopped? It happens every single time it pisses it down.

Of course not everyone watches in the concourse but just because you don’t doesn’t mean others don’t.

I’m not having a go here, I’d probably go for a beer if it was torrential.

Which side of the pitch are you @Ban-jani ? Because honestly as I sit at the end of the row and it is one where everyone has to come along (too long to explain why but just think Tunnel Club privileges!! :-( ) I would be being interrupted every two minutes if that was happening and I'm not. Also because of our position, although we are on the front row, across the aisle there are three other rows sort of in front of us, they are always full rain or shine!

In front of our row is where the TV moguls *lol* leave all their equipment! I had to tell one of them to move theirs against Atlanta as it was upside down with three flaming prongs sticking out and if one of the players had hurtled off the pitch after a ball they could have been injured. He took my point after a little discussion!! (I hinted I would ask for H & S to look at it!!) See I really think (*tongue firmly in cheek*) that the club should employ me as I look after the safety of the players, I make sure that everyone has their seat in our area rain or shine and I cheer loudly making everyone around me either laugh or get the men in white coats!! But hand on heart in CBL1 row A we are old fashioned and believe that a little rain never hurt anyone................... crikey this is England we've endured all weathers watching City all over this country and Europe!! :-)

EDIT: Aha, maybe it is the people behind us, they might be a bit more nesh eh? There are a few newcomers further back............. maybe not Northerners? I don't usually get time to look behind me, unless there's a penalty then I have to look behind me.
You know what @Ban-jani I am now getting convinced that I need the men in white coats. It's time for me to give up. Time for a lie down in a darkened room to contemplate how I come to be debating wet weather empty seats on a Monday when I have got two reports to type up!!!! :-) :-) :-) (Give up EB, give up!)

Last edited:
Which side of the pitch are you @Ban-jani ? Because honestly as I sit at the end of the row and it is one where everyone has to come along (too long to explain why but just think Tunnel Club privileges!! :-( ) I would be being interrupted every two minutes if that was happening and I'm not. Also because of our position, although we are on the front row, across the aisle there are three other rows sort of in front of us, they are always full rain or shine!

In front of our row is where the TV moguls *lol* leave all their equipment! I had to tell one of them to move theirs against Atlanta as it was upside down with three flaming prongs sticking out and if one of the players had hurtled off the pitch after a ball they could have been injured. He took my point after a little discussion!! (I hinted I would ask for H & S to look at it!!) See I really think (*tongue firmly in cheek*) that the club should employ me as I look after the safety of the players, I make sure that everyone has their seat in our area rain or shine and I cheer loudly making everyone around me either laugh or get the men in white coats!! But hand on heart in CBL1 row A we are old fashioned and believe that a little rain never hurt anyone................... crikey this is England we've endured all weathers watching City all over this country and Europe!! :-)

I’m SS3 but you can literally see it emptying every time the rain starts to come down.

I used to be level 1 and often sit there for cup games.

You must be hard as nails ;-)

Does anyone feel like the atmosphere is ever going to get any better? Excluding, The scousers, united, spurs and Chelsea it is pretty much constantly poor nowadays and if you try and convince yourself otherwise you'r ejust kidding yourself. The last two home games I think have been genuinely dire in terms of noise levels, attendance and support. I can't stand Villa fans, think they are as shit as anyone but even they took the piss for 90 minutes on Saturday. Same at the Atalanta game we just brought nothing to the table. Oh except when we sang "Raheem Sterling he's won more than you" to the Villa fans for 30 seconds which would have been fantastically witty if it was remotely true. And the whole leaving on 80 minutes thing is getting worse. I actually saw people leaving early to try and beat the people who leave on 80 mins on saturday. Be off before half time by May. There was 4 minutes of extra time. Your missing a quarter of an hour..... of a 12.30 kick off.......on a Saturday..... and we're 3-0 up. Fuck me it's embarrassing.

Does anyone feel like the atmosphere is ever going to get any better? Excluding, The scousers, united, spurs and Chelsea it is pretty much constantly poor nowadays and if you try and convince yourself otherwise you'r ejust kidding yourself. The last two home games I think have been genuinely dire in terms of noise levels, attendance and support. I can't stand Villa fans, think they are as shit as anyone but even they took the piss for 90 minutes on Saturday. Same at the Atalanta game we just brought nothing to the table. Oh except when we sang "Raheem Sterling he's won more than you" to the Villa fans for 30 seconds which would have been fantastically witty if it was remotely true. And the whole leaving on 80 minutes thing is getting worse. I actually saw people leaving early to try and beat the people who leave on 80 mins on saturday. Be off before half time by May. There was 4 minutes of extra time. Your missing a quarter of an hour..... of a 12.30 kick off.......on a Saturday..... and we're 3-0 up. Fuck me it's embarrassing.

Totally agree with this apart from the Wolves attendance was alright I think.

The only way it’ll get better is if we go shit again for a period of time and then look to make a come back.

Totally agree with this apart from the Wolves attendance was alright I think.

The only way it’ll get better is if we go shit again for a period of time and then look to make a come back.
To be fair I have hardly been to any Premier League stadium with a great atmosphere for years. The rare exceptions are usually the newly-promoted teams and Derby matches. Even Goodison was really quiet this season. The best away atmosphere last season was Newport and this season Preston North End! It's just modern football and we are no better or worse than most others. It's usually the same when you go to see a live band. The world is different (not saying it's better).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.