Bring the Noise

It happens a lot, I’ve noticed. It happened straight after they went 1-0 up and they started “we never win at home”. As you say, they are making an effort but the clapalong songs might get going in a couple of blocks, but in the Upper tiers where I sit they only join in with the anthem type songs unless it’s a massive game. And that’s real atmosphere, when it booms around the ground.

Agree. We’re not really here,
Come on City, Stand up for the Champions and Bluemoon got the whole crowd going today.

It happens a lot, I’ve noticed. It happened straight after they went 1-0 up and they started “we never win at home”. As you say, they are making an effort but the clapalong songs might get going in a couple of blocks, but in the Upper tiers where I sit they only join in with the anthem type songs unless it’s a massive game. And that’s real atmosphere, when it booms around the ground.

Pep commented on it, too. I reckon the flat atmosphere in some games really bugs him.

Yes, and also it is the anthem songs like Blue moon, City City Viking song, YNWA etc which are naturally uplifting due to the words, melody which cranks up the noise levels as these are song you scream and bellow.

A complete contrast to the Dzeko, Nobody better song, which sounds like a fast mumble, with the majority not knowing the tune/words and the song being so rushed it actively encourages low volume levels and few to participate.

Last edited:
Yes, and also it is the anthem songs like Blue moon, City City Viking song, YNWA etc which are long enough, at the correct speed which draws people in and also these songs are uplifting and are songs you scream and bellow. Total contrast to the Dzeko, Nobody better song, which sounds like a fast mumble, with the majority not knowing the tune/words and even if it did it peters out so quickly.

Bang on. The Bernardo song affected the atmosphere at Wembley for the Carabou Cup for that reason. It was great in the pubs outside but wouldn’t catch on inside, because lots didn’t even know it. Yet it got started about 50 times.

You’ve got the psychology of a big stadium where everyone is spread out on different tiers. We are all British at the end of the day and people don’t want to look a dick.

Ive posted my opinion many times: until the singing sections are brought together, ideally in the upper tier, then it’s pretty much worse case scenario in the stadium now, particularly for mediocre games with loud opposition fans.

Bang on. The Bernardo song affected the atmosphere at Wembley for the Carabou Cup for that reason. It was great in the pubs outside but wouldn’t catch on inside, because lots didn’t even know it. Yet it got started about 50 times.

You’ve got the psychology of a big stadium where everyone is spread out on different tiers. We are all British at the end of the day and people don’t want to look a dick.

Ive posted my opinion many times: until the singing sections are brought together, ideally in the upper tier, then it’s pretty much worse case scenario in the stadium now, particularly for mediocre games with loud opposition fans.

I do think that ship has sailed sadly with the best opportunity being when the stand first opened and the club had blocks of unallocated tickets which could have been reserved for a singing section.

Back to the psychology, would the players prefer the noisier fans in the higher blocks, if the noise was greater but the fans more detached or have the crowd support closer to feel the interaction at corners, throw ins etc?.

It could make the ground feel quite cold for the players with the less boisterous fans on the lower tiers.

I do think that ship has sailed sadly with the best opportunity being when the stand first opened when the club had blocks of unallocated tickets which could have been reserved for a singing section.

I sit in SSL3 myself but I am not sure how noise generated would transfer to the players if we had noisy away fans below.

Back to the psychology, would the players prefer the noisier fans in the higher blocks, if the noise was greater but the fans more detached or have the crowd support closer to feel the interaction at corners, throw ins etc? .

I sit in the CB upper tier and to me, sound in the lower tier doesn’t carry anything like as well in the lower tier because there’s no roof.

I agree with your other point too. When they opened up the new tier, they should have called it The New Kippax, and made a big fuss about it. They should have allowed banners at the front of it. 1894 group should have been offered a block. Then they should have cut the prices right down to £300 or less for the first year. First refusal on season tickets should have offered to the existing singing areas, south stand and up the side. It should have been marketed as the atmosphere area and then the rest would have looked after itself. Built it and they will come.

Songs started up there would catch on around the ground better and quicker because of the low roof and acoustics.

The alternative would have been to move the away fans to the opposite side of the south stand and give the south stand season ticket holders the same seats but on the opposite side; right next to the other singing area.

It’s too late now as you say. City missed the chance because I don’t think anyone at the club understands the club’s crowd dynamics, and the link with Maine Road and where people relocated, like we fans do.

It was brilliant today, even the Colin Bell stand was at it and all up screaming when the Villa bench kept the ball. Nice to know we can still do it when we have to.

Oh boy were we up to shout at that cheeky, cheating so and so! The whole of the section where I was were on their feet. Plus there were a lot more people singing than usual. It was a better atmosphere than normal for most of the game and definitely in the second half. Well done folks.

The season has finally started for us in the stands at the Etihad.

First time we’ve shown up all season, but we can’t hope for games like that every week to get us going!

Brilliant atmosphere , the crowd where the 12th man today and we pushed the team to victory , last 20 minutes the support was superb , there was frustration with that **** of a ref Mason , but we never turned on the team , we could see they were giving everything , proud to be a blue today

I sit in the CB upper tier and to me, sound in the lower tier doesn’t carry anything like as well in the lower tier because there’s no roof.

I agree with your other point too. When they opened up the new tier, they should have called it The New Kippax, and made a big fuss about it. They should have allowed banners at the front of it. 1894 group should have been offered a block. Then they should have cut the prices right down to £300 or less for the first year. First refusal on season tickets should have offered to the existing singing areas, south stand and up the side. It should have been marketed as the atmosphere area and then the rest would have looked after itself. Built it and they will come.

Songs started up there would catch on around the ground better and quicker because of the low roof and acoustics.

The alternative would have been to move the away fans to the opposite side of the south stand and give the south stand season ticket holders the same seats but on the opposite side; right next to the other singing area.

It’s too late now as you say. City missed the chance because I don’t think anyone at the club understands the club’s crowd dynamics, and the link with Maine Road and where people relocated, like we fans do.

Yes they should have done that. Even in its current format in level 3, the price structure is heavily categorised with the prices at the front and back of the stand being different, with those to the rear cheapest.

Consequently up here most of the noise resonates from the back, where really if it was a football end, the prices would be the same and groups like 1894 would have access to the front of the stand, to display banners etc like you see on the continent.

Also from memory I think those chucked out of level 2, to extend the corporate end, had first dibs on tickets in the new stand which dilutes things.

Just from memory DD did the singers at Maine Road such as block P North Stand, Kippax AA/BB lower get situated around the away fans, in the stadium move, or did they switch blocks? I ask this as I have a hazy recollection that in 2003 fans were moved by block and so many changed seats to be near the away fans. Its only relevant as I wonder if the City culture is to be around the away fans rather than have an end such as the Kop as at both Maine Road and the Etihad it has worked out that way.

It's bizarre but I posted at HT that the atmosphere was as flat as fuck and I got accused of not being at the game by someone who wasn't at the game!!

SS3 has been great since I moved in when it opened (previously in the NS level 2 and then East level 3) but it has been dire for the last few league games. We can't hear a thing from anything below us so unless the whole stadium is at it we have to make our own atmosphere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.