Brown stepping down - What now? [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
terryphelan said:
Daviesmcfc said:
Those three things alone would single handedly turn the country around wouldn't they?

It is only fair rich people should be taxed more heavily than poor people.

Do you believe that it's fair that City should have to subsidise the rags?

United top the rich list.

Greedy prem clubs should give more money to lower leagues and grass roots, it would not exist if it was not for these.

terryphelan said:
Daviesmcfc said:
It is only fair rich people should be taxed more heavily than poor people.

Youv'e tried that tired analogy before, however you forget that City/Rags money is not public purse money anyway. I assume everyone you care about is rich, only someone who is in that position could come out with such a wildly selfish viewpoint. I sincerely hope none of yours fall on hard times pal, or maybe that could be a good thing to shake you out of your'e 'I'm alright Jack so fuck you' attitude.

Cheesy said:
ElanJo said:
It was neither. This economic mess is a result of Governments/Central Banks pumping the economy with cheap money, creating false, and completely unsustainable, economic signals and a system of debt and riskfree consequences, via bailouts, for banks and big businesses.

To blame bankers and "deregulation" is to buy into propaganda. Central economic planning has destroyed true productivity and hopefully now we can admit that Keynes has been discredited.

Ah, but the deregulation played a big part in the banks being able to operate without any fear of the consequences.

To use an analogy, what you're saying is that you want to spike the punchbowl and then try to regulate the behaviour of each and every drunk person in the vicinity. It's complete insanity.

Just don't spike the punchbowl in the first place and you wouldn't need to even think of trying to regulate anyone.

Regulations serve the interest of big businesses anyway. Besides I thought we were serious about looking at the cause of our financial mess - that means going to the actual cause... not stopping after 1 step. You're simply having the wool pulled over your eyes if you think deregulation caused the poor state of our (and pretty much the entire world's) economy. It's far more fundamental than that - the notion of trying to manage an economy and the use of paper money.

ElanJo said:
To use an analogy, what you're saying is that you want to spike the punchbowl and then try to regulate the behaviour of each and every drunk person in the vicinity. It's complete insanity.

Just don't spike the punchbowl in the first place and you wouldn't need to even think of trying to regulate anyone.

Regulations serve the interest of big businesses anyway.

I Fundamentaly can not agree with that statement, regulations are there to keep big buisness in check.

Damocles said:
Is it fair that I walked out of school with no qualifications, worked on site for a bit before going back to school/college/Uni to get all of my qualifications, whilst continuing to work 2 jobs, dragging myself through this to then become a freelancer and pay my own way? I pay my taxes, I pay my debts, I take care of my family, why should a scrounger working 5 hours a week get taxed less than me? I'm been punished for trying, it's bullshit.

Is that true? sounds like we have had similar lives, few years behind you though, don't have kids yet........hopefully.

terryphelan said:

Yeah, country and its economic system, football; same thing.

Capitalism has ZERO justification unless those who benefit from it subsidise the services which allow people to earn their way to the top. If there is no basic provision of education and health care, a welfare state, then the meritocracy which capitalism must be based on to be justified, does not exist. Right now, the United Kingdom has one of the lowest rates of social mobility in the developed world and it's something this country should be ashamed of and doing everything within its power to improve.

Challenger1978 said:
ElanJo said:

Regulations serve the interest of big businesses anyway.

I Fundamentaly can not agree with that statement, regulations are there to keep big buisness in check.

Sorry.

Apparently paddy Ashdown is to become Secretary of State for Defence!!!

As someone in the military I would be pretty happy with this appointment.

Edit - Sky now saying it's Liam Fox. Would prefer Paddy tbh :-(

I've opened a bottle of champs.

Gordon's gone, let's hope for CHANGE!

-- Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm --

Cheesy said:

As a military man Cheesy, what do you think of trident?

nashark said:
I've opened a bottle of champs.

Gordon's gone, let's hope for CHANGE!

-- Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm --

Cheesy said:

As a military man Cheesy, what do you think of trident?

I suppose most would expect me to be wholly supportive of our nuclear deterrent, and on balance whilst I am in favour of keeping (& upgrading) it, I do fully understand why many people feel it could be money better spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.