Bruno Guimaraes

He did. Both Pep and Rodri himself have commented since how he wasn't doing the basics right at the start and just how much he has improved. The main criticisms of him early doors were his backwards first passing and his positional play both with and without the ball. They were legitimate criticisms back then, those are his strengths now.
I'll try not to take over this thread, but I've shown with historical facts how Todri was always very good from day 1.

Yes he is better now ( i.e World Class) as opposed to being just very good in his 1st year.

A significant portion of his improvement has been on offense. I.e. assisting, scoring goals and driving forward with the ball.

Possession wise, tackling, interceptions, pass completion, blocks etc his numbers have always been consistently similar from day 1. It's thT added magic that has taken him from very good to great.

The real problem was that many here at the time had Fernandihno tinted glasses on and were always unimpressed that he lacked similar speed and crunching tackle.

He was always very good. It just took many a couple of years to recognize it.
Short memory... his first half of his first season here he was off a step and there were many here slagging him off as a bad buy. He righted the ship but he didnt hit the ground stellar with us.
Yes. He had a few bad games mixed with a lot more good ones. Went about 5-1 good games to bad ones.

But when folks have tinted lenses on, all they see are the bad games.

I was doing good games vs bad games count back then. And pointing out how it wasn't even close. And it wasn't just me. There were many. So it wasn't me being a happy clapper. He was very good. But some didn't wanna see it.

I called it the Fernandihno loyalist stand.

Last edited:
Rodri was absolutely dogshit though. Far too slow to process the ball and read. Ake was similar also.

1000058376.gif

He just took a while to get upto speed, plus because of our centre back crisis with Fernandinho covering there, he couldn't be simply be eased into the team as Pep would've like.

His performances even then were far from dogshit, centre back and missing Kompany was a much bigger concern that season.

Last edited:
View attachment 126757

He just took a while to get upto speed, plus because of our centre back crisis with Fernandinho covering there, he couldn't be simply be eased into the team as Pep would've like.

His performances even then were far from dogshit, centre back and missing Kompany was a much bigger concern that season.

I think a lot of my personal frustration at the time was that by playing Fernandinho at cb we looked shit in 2 positions and thought the logical solution was to play Fernandinho at dm and ease Rodri in at cb where he could learn without having to keep his eyes behind him.

But again, as a supporter I only looked at it through the eyes of that season and Pep clearly knew how it would evolve and we have reaped the rewards for his and Rodri’s success

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.