Building a Result Driven Organization: Ferran Soriano

Thanks for posting OP. Anyone who enjoyed the clip should read his book, it expands on all of the themes he talks about.

He's deffo nicked the leadership styles from somewhere, coz I did the same course at Tesco in 2005. Top spoofing there, but I'm sure most of the billionaire businessmen in the middle east know it all off by heart from their business degrees in Harvard.

Or they could just google it
Leadership+Styles.png

jrb said:
It didn't take long.

Now I wonder where Ian Ladyman got the inspiration to write that aricle from?
Does he by any chance read BM and then...............
You can't expect him to actually do any of his own journalism, can you? Video uploaded on 3rd March, yet it only makes the newspapers when it's posted on here.

Herbert @ the independent is on it to hehe.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/louis-van-gaal-appointment-players-dont-like-him-and-want-to-kill-him-says-manchester-citys-ferran-soriano-9313608.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 13608.html</a>

jrb said:
It didn't take long.

Now I wonder where Ian Ladyman got the inspiration to write that aricle from?
Does he by any chance read BM and then...............

Louis van Gaal turns players against him, claims Manchester City chief Ferran Soriano

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2618156/Louis-van-Gaal-turns-players-against-claims-Manchester-City-chief-Ferran-Soriano.html#ixzz30VIQDbZm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z30VIQDbZm</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Shame on him, he got nothing better to do except looking at what bluemooners are up to. I wish he had decency to say where he got that story from. instead of twisting it around to create controversy .

Enjoyed the City aspect of it, although I thought the general presentation of how it related to Government Services (and his Q&A on that topic) was fairly weak.

That said, the numbers and concepts as they related to City were very interesting, and I wonder if they will be the BASIS for an FFP appeal? It is crystal clear that City are only moving in one direction, and the commitment of the owner to both the club and the community are second to none.

While I believe ANY FFP punishment is outrageous and could not be upheld by the European Courts, I think that IF City want to "play the game" (which looks like it is becoming increasingly in our favor) the "punishment" needs to be a "continuous improvement" to reaching the tightening goals within a set time period, with the 2014 punishment being suspended pending such improvements.

For instance, if the punishment is €25M in 2014, it should be suspended until 2016, to give the Club a 2 year growth window. Accordingly, if we are still not in compliance with the 2015 goals, then an escalating penalty (say €35M) is suspended until 2017. This way, a team that is TRULY getting their house in order is given a warning as to future behavior AND a punishment, but that punishment is suspended, and thus never paid IF they follow through.

Some might say that was what the 3 year "ramp up" was about, but to immediately go to financial and operational punishments will, I think, only lead to lawsuits and the demise of FFP before it gets started.

Conversely, of course, given the projections for the future, maybe Sheikh Mansour would see a €25M punishment as a small price to pay to slam the door shut behind him, so that the global game of which Ferran spoke of, belongs ONLY to those already in the room? Thus, he can come out squarely in favor of the new Oligopoly, BECAUSE he is one of the oligarchs in the room!!

If anyone wants to read the book DM me and they can have it. Tough in parts but the insight into what they're doing to the club is top.

It is pretty basic business sense, nothing revolutionary or innovative with it. It is obviously crucial for us to increase marketing revenue etc but in terms of his football specific ideas - I think they need some work. He talks about a business model to run the playing side of things, but the trouble with football is that you cannot monopolise it like you can other industries, because you cannot control the fixture list, injuries, referees and those elements of chance and luck that can directly influence your output in terms of trophies. I completely agree that the authoritative manager of the Ferguson/Mourinho style is not good for the long term - unless they stay for a long time - but then where are you left afterwards? But in terms of success, both models can point to a lot of trophies. Whilst the Rags may be suffering this season because they have allowed Ferguson to effectively let the squad deteriorate, Barcelona aren't looking all that healthy and although you may be able to blame those issues on occurances since he left... he might not be at City forever either so will we go to pot then too? Unless that model is being implemented by Sheikh Mansour and any future Directors follow the mantra then it too, is only a short term model that could be equally as problematic.

Football is about winning trophies, great sides built on great tactics and long term thinking have failed to win things. Poor sides run by tough talking, authoritative managers have won things... the longer term view is only good in terms of developing future talent through the academy but it isn't like a conveyor belt where as one player ends their career they can be instantly replaced - some players are simply irreplaceable and for that reason, I think he is a little bit too unwilling to attach any weight to the uncontrollables like luck, injury and the fact it is a game... "The ball doesn't go in by chance" I would have to say, actually, quite often it does.

supercity88 said:
It is pretty basic business sense, nothing revolutionary or innovative with it. It is obviously crucial for us to increase marketing revenue etc but in terms of his football specific ideas - I think they need some work. He talks about a business model to run the playing side of things, but the trouble with football is that you cannot monopolise it like you can other industries, because you cannot control the fixture list, injuries, referees and those elements of chance and luck that can directly influence your output in terms of trophies. I completely agree that the authoritative manager of the Ferguson/Mourinho style is not good for the long term - unless they stay for a long time - but then where are you left afterwards? But in terms of success, both models can point to a lot of trophies. Whilst the Rags may be suffering this season because they have allowed Ferguson to effectively let the squad deteriorate, Barcelona aren't looking all that healthy and although you may be able to blame those issues on occurances since he left... he might not be at City forever either so will we go to pot then too? Unless that model is being implemented by Sheikh Mansour and any future Directors follow the mantra then it too, is only a short term model that could be equally as problematic.

Football is about winning trophies, great sides built on great tactics and long term thinking have failed to win things. Poor sides run by tough talking, authoritative managers have won things... the longer term view is only good in terms of developing future talent through the academy but it isn't like a conveyor belt where as one player ends their career they can be instantly replaced - some players are simply irreplaceable and for that reason, I think he is a little bit too unwilling to attach any weight to the uncontrollables like luck, injury and the fact it is a game... "The ball doesn't go in by chance" I would have to say, actually, quite often it does.

He mentions the element of chance at great length at the start, then talks about how you can improve the overall level of a club by good management.

It's not about having the same CEO forever, it's about having a system in place that doesn't collapse every time you are forced to make a change.

Mancini for instance wanted control of everything, like Ferguson. If he had been given that & then failed, we would have struggled like fuck to recover from it, possibly never done so with the problems of ffp thrown in.

If a big club is well managed at the top, it competes, forever. No it doesn't win every year & isn't immune to dips of fortune but it comes back. If it's badly managed, it can disappear into the lower divisions & win fuck all for decades, as we have proved.

If we'd had someone like Soriano in charge in 1968 we'd probably be twice as big as Utd now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.