Bundesliga Thread - 2023/24

Well believe it or not but there are plenty of clubs out there which don't have a guarantee to win silverware every season.

For those clubs and their fans the "pointless" cup is relevant and I am pretty sure you would have given your left hand to win it with the pre windfall City in the early 90s.

Hope your way of thinking is not representative or the new generation of City fans. It's sad how quick some people forget where they are coming from.

Cup Final Day is just a tried cliche. Pointless cup unless it's won as part of a double or treble. It hardly even saves jobs these days when won as the only trophy in a season. First Van Gaal and now eight years later maybe Poundland Pep.

Absolutely ridiculous attitude imo. A tired cliche my arse. Tell that to the thousands upon thousands of Kaiserslautern fans who made the 12 or 13 hour round journey to support their team in the manner which they did.

Well believe it or not but there are plenty of clubs out there which don't have a guarantee to win silverware every season.

For those clubs and their fans the "pointless" cup is relevant and I am pretty sure you would have given your left hand to win it with the pre windfall City in the early 90s.

Hope your way of thinking is not representative or the new generation of City fans. It's sad how quick some people forget where they are coming from.
I couldn’t aagree more.

I love the cup competitions.

Cup Final Day is just a tried cliche. Pointless cup unless it's won as part of a double or treble. It hardly even saves jobs these days when won as the only trophy in a season. First Van Gaal and now eight years later maybe Poundland Pep.
Ridiculous post. Any City fan who watched a single game pre-2008 know how much the FA Cup was longed after.

Seems to be in an odd place to post this as well in the Bundesliga thread, because Leverkusen DID win the double.

I can see why there are people in this thread who disagree with me. It's because it's a British tradition to love the FA Cup as the whole thing is caked in cultural tradition as well, while knock out domestic cups in other countries don't have that same sort of vibe about them. The competition is seen as a national icon and English symbol although I don't see it that way.

I put that down to the Bob Lord invented TV rights in this country; the only football match you could see live on the TV every year when it came to watching club teams play. In mainland Europe TV rules were nowhere as strict back then and even today, so it's like rubbed off on generation to generation and the phrase "Cup Final Wembley Day".

You only have to look at the fact that you don't see build up stuff on the box anymore to notice it's relative irrelevance these days. No more breakfast from the teams hotels, no more supporters on busses being interviewed, no more local butchers talking about their Cup Final Edition sausages, that's all in the past despite the tame effort a few years ago with TOTP 2 FA Cup and an episode of Pointless.

Winning the FA Cup these days only means a successful season based on whoever wins it. If it was the only thing we won this season, it would be considered a disappointment of a season, but because of how low the bar has been lowered for the rags, it's suddenly seen by Auntie Beeb as a good season. With Wigan it was seen as a massive deal due to the relatively small size of the club in comparison to the Big Six and I've never undermined their achievement although it was painful.

So yes, back in the day winning it was a big thing no matter who won it or how big they were, while it was their only trophy of the season, but these days it's judged by the expectations of the club if it's their only trophy.

I personally think the rags had a cr@p season, as winning that cup and nothing else does not make up for their 8th place finish. Even Van Gaal's sacking was decided behind his back before the final as their board didn't see it as good enough to see their season as a success considering the value of the team and same again yesterday.

Give me Premier League over anything. You have to play everyone and there's no avoiding teams you don't want to play, while it requires stamina without wilting. Look at Arsenal..... winning the FA Cup isn't seen as good enough by their supporters due to the money involved. They have had no problems in winning it in recent times until 2020 all while finishing 4th in the league, as it's easier to win.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.