business owners

Interesting thread.

We really suffer from not having a system like the Scandinavians, where you can sack employees on the spot but they have an excellent welfare system to fall back on inbetween work.

I think it's a symptom of the political class, with little business expertise, that they fail to understand how important it is for any small business with cashflow pressures to remain nimble.

nomorethaksintimes said:
Interesting thread.

We really suffer from not having a system like the Scandinavians, where you can sack employees on the spot but they have an excellent welfare system to fall back on inbetween work.

I think that is a good point and im a big supporter of workers rights.

Sometimes an employee will not be right for your business, sometimes an employer will not be right for the employee.

I dont believe an employer should have carte blanche to sack everyone, but it is obvious that these measures can help. But as you state it depends on there being an ecellent welfare system in place. Sadly we dont have that.

A bit shaky last month due to holidays but in general business is still growing and i've just picked up 2 more contracts from a multi-national company.

This time next year.....

My last online business went bust - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.champions20shirts.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.champions20shirts.ie</a>

Hoping my next ones are a bit more successful - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.philjonesballondorfigurines.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.philjonesballondorfigurines.co.uk</a> and <a class="postlink" href="http://www.philjonesworldplayeroftheyearmemorabilia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.philjonesworldplayeroftheyearmemorabilia.com</a>

toby said:
flb said:
Own sheet materials and timber business

Tend to supply more shopfitters,furniture manufacturers joiners etc than the building game

Turnover up every month this year apart from July,this month is dogshit to be honest,as ever its getting paid that is the hard work,usually very busy from now til Christmas.Margins are healthy though so should be a reasonable year.

Any bags of offcuts to buy

Unfortunately not mate no,we dont do any cutting ourselves so we dont produce any offcuts.

Slowest summer ever. Speaking to people who cancelled last summer they were being made redundant ,had their hours cut back . This summer its child minding fee`s , cost of living, cost of fuel , material costs getting out of hand . I`m picking up loads of repairs for the queens head , but even landlords are putting of major work . Been offered bathroom fitouts that 8years ago I was getting £150 per person . This year its £75 ...... they can do one . They keep getting back to me ,but I will not work further away for worse money. Just picked up solid work onsite for two months dayrate . Doing better than most but that is saying nothing, only doing daywork so I can finish a gaff . Hand to mouth at the minute .

I am doing on average three hours more a day for less money than I was earning ten years ago , before I got a trade ! ! !

It's just very up and down. Have to hang in there and keep going all you can do.

My design & print business has been getting busy (Still in first year though so its just growth I suppose)

Started it with £50 so it was just a case of making enough to live first few months

Work with my dad in the family jewellers. Were very lucky, even if we make no sales for a week with the gold rate so high it doesn't even matter lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.