business owners

mindmyp's_n_q's said:
Rascal said:
Out of interest can i ask you business owners a question.

Is it employment regulations that are holding you back from growing?

Cost for us. We just don't have the cash.

So its cashflow rather than employment regs?

Or is it the cost of labour?

I have a small engineering company, before xmas for 7 months was dire, just about covering my overhead. After 32 years in business, I am now the busiest I have ever been. It wont last too long, maybe till the end of the year but has paid a few big bills off.

the only thing i have been grateful for is at least its been down to myself to get it back on track. i have changed what i have had to change, it looks like its worked, if not then i change some more.

rascal.
i kept staff on board as long as i could, 3 years ago i had to release some guys and everyone on my books is now self employed. if it goes quiet then we don't earn, all of us.
no legislation or law would make me re employ anyone again. the costs last time nearly closed me down. wages are one thing but add sick pay, holiday pay and of course employers national inc contributions and in a recession it just can't be done.
the changes i've made have put my profits up thank goodness.

de niro said:
the only thing i have been grateful for is at least its been down to myself to get it back on track. i have changed what i have had to change, it looks like its worked, if not then i change some more.

rascal.
i kept staff on board as long as i could, 3 years ago i had to release some guys and everyone on my books is now self employed. if it goes quiet then we don't earn, all of us.
no legislation or law would make me re employ anyone again. the costs last time nearly closed me down. wages are one thing but add sick pay, holiday pay and of course employers national inc contributions and in a recession it just can't be done.

Everyone's had to do that de niro and we're all watching cash flow.

Some businesses are doing ok though such as ones that are flexible in terms of knowledge and reliable markets.

de niro said:

rascal.

Cheers Bill for that.

I think its something that our politicians really dont grasp

Self employed joiner/ builder.

Luckily i have been very busy for the last 2 years.

live down in bristol and moved about 10 miles to be near the centre as work was slow. met a guy who owns a lot of properties, and do all the renovation work for him. Touch wood it keeps going that way.

Good luck to anyone above in the thread.

ste1969 said:
Self employed joiner/ builder.

Luckily i have been very busy for the last 2 years.

live down in bristol and moved about 10 miles to be near the centre as work was slow. met a guy who owns a lot of properties, and do all the renovation work for him. Touch wood it keeps going that way.

Good luck to anyone above in the thread.

you need a bit of luck, i said earlier in the thread that i am very lucky. got a fantastic customer base, many landlords stick and have stuck with me.they just so loyal, built up over 25 years. blumooners have been very helpful too.

you can only count your blessings and graft as hard as you can.

Our business is bucking the trend - four of the first five months of this financial year have been records and the other was nearly a record.one thing that is in our favour is cash flow. We can hold stock which means we can supply when our competitors let customers down

big blueballs said:
de niro said:
big blueballs said:
We had a steady start to the year....May and June were excellent, turnover well up....July and August absolute shite, it died on its arse, battled like fuck to break even.....September hasn't started great either......it is very up and down, I can judge if it's just me or the industry through my Wholesalers and there trends were exactly the same....so hopefully a little upturn is around the corner, just a couple of decent months will do

what trade is that?
Electrical Contractors

Similar to us. Is it your business BB?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.