Can Anyone Explain the last 10 Minutes Tactics?

An opportunity to moan.

Not moaning.

Read what I wrote, please.

I called Pep a genius.

I was talking about our breakaways towards the end, when we could have killed the game, but we stopped dead, held the ball up, and started to pass it around instead. We did that quite a few times, and on occasions we lost possession doing that, and Burnley humped the ball up the pitch causing us unnecessary problems. I fully appreciate the players were tired, but that was game management at the extreme, and nerve racking.

But yes we won, so no moaning from me on that front.

Last edited:
Was still shaking after the game for 10 mins we seemed to slow the play down and wanted to pass the ball then go for a goal. Then we go for an actual corner instead of keeping it in the corner some strange tactics or maybe panicking last ten mins but we got through and I am so proud of City I love you. Come on City

Never seen anything like it.
Heart attack material. Lol!.
Thanks Pep. :-/

Numerous chances to break away and to score, only for the players to stop dead, stand still, walk with the ball, and to pass the ball back and forth between themselves. I've seen game management before, but nothing ever like that. Pep you crazy f***ing genius of a Manager, but please don't put me or other City fans through that again.

Purely based on preventing our team being out of position if they recovered the ball. Pep backs the team to play keep ball and actually we didn't do it as well as we have done previously (understandably).

Burnley only had 2 shots (both off target) in the whole game - the fewest chances they've ever had in a PL game.

We also conceded zero corners to them, which was pretty important.

So statistically we got it absolutely right.

That said, when there are 10 mins to go in a game you simply have to win, and you're only 1-0 up ... and you're wasting break away chances, or giving possession away needlessly ... it's complete agony. I felt sick with nerves whenever the ball went back to Burnley, as I imagine all Blues did!

It's about making sure Burnley are back in their own half and all of our players are where they're supposed to be. If we attack at speed then lose it, they'll have a bunch of big players up top against our midgets in tonnes of space to work with.

It wasn't about not scoring a second, it was about guaranteeing they don't score. If they scored it would've been an almighty task getting a winner, so why bother risking it?

And it worked perfectly, they didn't come close, and we still created chances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.