Can they ever be caught?

Some interesting names in there, especially in the first list. I was fairly unaware that Everton had been champions so many times, for instance. Of course, they did win it twice in the eighties. In this age when so many younger fans seem to think that football was invented along with satellite television and the formation of the Premier League, it’s good to be reminded of these things. For a long time in my lifetime, Villa were the record holders for the number of FA Cup wins.
As for the opening question, I can’t say I care very much. One thing for certain: if the dippers and rags can be caught, I won’t be around to see it.
Yeah have to admit had no idea Everton had that many titles either. Or Sunderland, actually. You hear loads about Villa but never Sunderland or Everton.

Honestly I don't care if we don't, I can leave the counting trophies to the rags and istree boys, that's what defines them and makes them such souless hollow fans.

As long as we play football that is a joy to watch I will be happy, and that football will lead to some trophies from time to time, after what we've had before, that'll do me.
I must admit to being of the same school as you here Mr Genie. I just do not really care to much about trophy numbers, if we catch the top trophy winners quick then fair enough. I am however just happy watching us week to week and enjoying this amazing footy we serve up.

Not pissing on the ops parade i must add, fair do's if you like the top trumps style stuff, stats of any kind can be very interesting to people. I am still busy accepting we have Pep, a world leading setup and that opal fruits are called starburst.

I must admit to being of the same school as you here Mr Genie. I just do not really care to much about trophy numbers, if we catch the top trophy winners quick then fair enough. I am however just happy watching us week to week and enjoying this amazing footy we serve up.

Not pissing on the ops parade i must add, fair do's if you like the top trumps style stuff, stats of any kind can be very interesting to people. I am still busy accepting we have Pep, a world leading setup and that opal fruits are called starburst.
I’m relatively indifferent to it all actually, despite posting it. Like you I just find the football we are playing at the moment fascinating, and I hope we break the points record and go down as the highest points finish in history, because the football to date deserves that.

It was just a good debate in person so I thought I’d post it here. I personally don’t think a team will ever be able to truely dominate because I think the spread of money will always mean that teams go in cycles, it’s harder to consistently build a stronger side. I thought our 11/12 side would be very dominant after that season, and it just didn’t happen because we stood still. Keeping this side moving forwards will be difficult because players to improve it are very expensive or unknown.

At the moment Liverpool are on a run of one minor trophy in ten years. The rags pre Fergie went on a run of 3 fa cups and a Eufa cup in 26 years. To be honest I dont really care if we catch either, but watching Peps team for the next 5 years we will get close. I would rather see the history clubs relegated, no offence to the likes of Huddersfield, Preston and Notts Forest.

I’m relatively indifferent to it all actually, despite posting it. Like you I just find the football we are playing at the moment fascinating, and I hope we break the points record and go down as the highest points finish in history, because the football to date deserves that.

It was just a good debate in person so I thought I’d post it here. I personally don’t think a team will ever be able to truely dominate because I think the spread of money will always mean that teams go in cycles, it’s harder to consistently build a stronger side. I thought our 11/12 side would be very dominant after that season, and it just didn’t happen because we stood still. Keeping this side moving forwards will be difficult because players to improve it are very expensive or unknown.

I think with Pep here we will get a few trophies in a shorter time than me maybe usually would. I am not counting my chickens, i think it is fair going off his track record and how he has done here so far. At the very least i think we will go 4th in the total table you posted by the time Pep leaves and as likely as not, right up Arsenal's chuff. I do think we will top that table to but it will be closer to 2050 when we could revisit it and see that reflected.

Interesting discussion in the pub around whether the success of United and Liverpool in the past can ever be replicated, or whether the sport has changed too much now. Not just by City, but by anyone. What are your views?

For reference here is where City stand on the four major trophy fronts, each one just listed as far so to include Spurs, United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Top Division Title

Man United 20
Liverpool 18
Arsenal 13
Everton 9
Villa 7
Sunderland 6
Chelsea 6
City 4
Spurs 2

FA Cup
Arsenal 12
United 12
Spurs 8
Villa 7
Liverpool 7
Chelsea 7
Blackburn 6
Newcastle 6
City 5

League Cup
Liverpool 8
United 5
Villa 5
Chelsea 5
City 4
Spurs 4
Forest 4
Leicester 3
Arsenal 2

European Cup
Liverpool 5
United 3
Forest 2
Chelsea 1
Villa 1
City 0
Arsenal 0
Spurs 0

Total of above
United 40
Liverpool 38
Arsenal 27
Villa 20
Chelsea 19
Spurs 14
City 13

Have to say I couldn’t care less. Wittering on about what they won in the dim and distant is the domain of your average rag or dipper. I’m just revelling in our 7 year ongoing sojourn as the best side in the country. Here and now’s what counts and with every passing day what the dippers won in the 70’s and 80’s becomes as irrelevant as what Huddersfield won in the 1930’s

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.