Can we cut Edin a break?

ABU inc GDR said:
City fans don't hate players at all, were the most charitable fans to current and ex players. However, Dzeko isn't good enough against the top teams and in Europe, why?

1. touch,
2. hold up play,
3. running with ball,
4. slows the game up so no counter attacks with him,
5. poor positional play which is why people don't pass to him,
6. misses too many chances,
7. we loose possession when he gets caught offside too much,
8. lazy, doesn't work hard enough for the team like Tevez and Aguero,

Couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion. And this list proves it to me. Typical view of ignoring some of Edin's better aspects. Some of his hold up play, chasing (if you forget the one to the keeper and remember the other occassions- if you can), fighting for the ball (no - forgotten that as well?), more goals per minute on the pitch than anyone else, poor positional play - yet always the one in the scoring position.

Charitable, I don't think so, yet we believe were the best in the world of course.

Most of Dzekos goals at Wolfsburg were scored with his feet,likewise at City,his heading ability is just an extra asset he has to his game,not the only asset as some like to suggest when criticising him,the man can score with both feet,he knows where to be when the ball comes into the box,he is a good player,City and more importantly,City fans should be grateful to have a player like Edin in the squad.

The Colonel said:
more goals per minute on the pitch than anyone else

Mario has a better goals per minute. In fact, Mario has the second best goals per minute in the league last year just behind Papiss Cisse.

(there you go cyprustavern) :)

Damocles said:
cyprustavern said:
damocles you ate allowed to be wrong sometimes brother...and your blind faith in mario is wrong at the moment...instead of trying to bafflle and bully a wise man would say wait and see

Are you pissed? We're talking about Edin Dzeko.

no im not pissed
when-you-just-got-out-of-bed-and-someone-sees-you.gif

The fact is that like Goater, Edin spends half the time looking so awkward he seems to be fouling / tripping up over himself, but he gets goals in important games at important times. I don't know his actual stats, but I'm positive we would not have won the title without him.

Damocles said:
EDWARD19 said:
You're going to an extreme here. Do we have Messi on our team? The man can beat 4-5 players by himself easily. As for United, they got RVP to be the new front man..He can do it both ways, head and both feet. I am almost certain that getting rid of Balo and/or Dzeko and getting another Aguero would not get us to win the CL, yet according to so many that's exactly what we need. As soon as great defensive teams like Chelsea collapse you can forget about your ground game(hell even Messi couldn't beat them) and so those guys would be very frustrating to watch. We need a guy like Ibra and we are as close as we can be with Edin and Mario.

No we don't. I'm not going to an extreme, I'm pointing out that Man United have won about twenty leagues playing width without a big man to twat the ball to. And three CLs too. There's absolutely no evidence to support the idea that all teams need a big man up front to be successful. Quite the opposite.

And RVP is NOT good in the air. He scored once last season with a header, and lost two thirds of his aerial duels.

Let's look at all prospective CL Winners and their striking options:

United - Rooney/RVP
Barca - Sanchez/Villa
Madrid - Benzema/Higuain
Munich - Gomez/Muller
Dortmund - Lewandowski/Reus

In that entire lot, who exactly are there solely as aerial threats? Gomez is pretty good in the air, but he's a ground player. They are all ground players. Bezema and Rooney are power players but not aerial players.

It's Emile Heskey syndrome. Because people see his ability to be an outlet for long balls and his ability to win a header, they presume that he must be a positive for the team. Even if you go through all of the top teams in the Premiership, there's no Dzekos out there.

-- Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 am --

cyprustavern said:
damocles talks a lot of sense but when it comes to mario i think he is blinded..because he has invested so much into him....quoting medals etc

Nobody is even talking about Mario!!

Tevez/Aguero knocks the shit out of that list. Balo and Dzeko are capable deputies. I thought you knew your shit Damocles?

There is something old school about the way Dzeko plays that appeals to the football fan in me. He isn't that great technically, he's oafish. But he has scored some very important goals.

cyprustavern said:
damocles you ate allowed to be wrong sometimes brother...and your blind faith in mario is wrong at the moment...instead of trying to bafflle and bully a wise man would say wait and see

Is he one of the Mario lovers too? I actually love Mario too. I think just like Dzeko he has weaknesses to his game and best used for set pieces. You watch him come back and try to counter attack and it's very similar to Edin (except Mario dives more)..but it's all good as usually the ref gives us free kicks. :)..I love his ability to unleash the rocket right outside the box. He's quite accurate at it as well..and of course his heading ability. Anything else like hold up play and trying to be physical he's not very good and loses quite easily or goes down crying.

Damo, out of those above, Rooney is quite good with headers, Gomez's game is very much like Edin's and if he actually came here you'd give up on him how bad he can look with his touches..yet they love him over at Bayern. Barca i don't even want to talk about as their entire team is all about perfect skill and passing..Nobody can repeat that. Man U i honestly cant' say much about their past team but this year they're falling flat i think and it's because of not having that perfect combo like we do...so if you say that RVP only had one header last season i believe you and it will be interesting whether it makes difference for them. I think that might screw them and the fact we have 2 who can do it is very good for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.