Can We Opt Out Of Europa League?

Jonny68 said:
Well its looking like we are gonna be in it weather we like it or not. Really can't see Napoli dropping points at Villareal even if we do beat Bayern although Villareal did win at the weekend (at home to Real Betis) they just don't look capable enough of winning any champions league games. If we do drop down to Europa i think we should take the approach Spurs have this season and play a semi weakened side and hope for the best. It will disrupt our league chances if we play a full strength side in it and this season has gotta be about getting that league won!
dont write villareal completely off.When we played them they where decimated with injuries,hopefully they've got a few back now

^ They do have a few back indeed and may have a couple more back by then but with Rossi out and Nilmar doubtful, they may still have nothing up front.

M18CTID said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Smacks of arrogance to me. The Europa League might be more detrimental to our team's form than the Champions League but saying it's beneath us doesn't sit well with me. A cup is a cup at the end of the day and our squad is better equipped than last season to deal with the rigours of it if we do end up dropping into it.

Agree

This is the UEFA Cup we're talking..

Remember all those wonderful 'Sportnight with Coleman' s when I was I kid where we got a rare view into the exotic world of continental football.
The legendary teams with great names Locomotiv Moscow , Dynamo Kiev sporting Lisbo etc etc etc.....

FFS: we're getting way too snotty

I would be happy with the League Cup and Uefa Cup

Of course we wanna be there in the CL but these are all other chances of glory and trophies

dom said:
M18CTID said:
rickmcfc said:
If we drop down into the Europa League, can we opt out of it all together? Dont get me wrong, it would be great to win it, but its a nothing cup and will seriously hamper our league chances which i feel is much more important. If we can, i say get out asap. If we cant do that, is there any rule which states we must play a certain % of players who were in the Champions League Squad? If there isnt, i would put out the EDS squad and have the first team focus on the league. Thoughts?

Smacks of arrogance to me. The Europa League might be more detrimental to our team's form than the Champions League but saying it's beneath us doesn't sit well with me. A cup is a cup at the end of the day and our squad is better equipped than last season to deal with the rigours of it if we do end up dropping into it.

Agree

This is the UEFA Cup we're talking..

Remember all those wonderful 'Sportnight with Coleman' s when I was I kid where we got a rare view into the exotic world of continental football.
The legendary teams with great names Locomotiv Moscow , Dynamo Kiev sporting Lisbo etc etc etc.....

FFS: we're getting way too snotty

I would be happy with the League Cup and Uefa Cup

Of course we wanna be there in the CL but these are all other chances of glory and trophies

I agree the difference now is everyone knows and sees all these clubs on the box, knows most of the players and where the clubs a located on a map

I've briefly flicked through, has there been any mention of coefficient? It is the decisive factor in seeding for European competitions, and a good run in any cup in Europe this year will set us up very nicely for next year's Champions League. I don't think we should discount the Europa League if that is where we end up.

There's a bit of misconception possibly here about our tough CL Group and it is assumed that was because we were 3rd seeds. In actuality it was because Napoli, unquestionably the strongest from pot 4, were seeded 4th...we could still have got them even if we had been seeded 2. Ironically, the team in our group seeded 2 turned out to be the pishiest team in the group.

i think we should go out to win it but think it would be a great chance for players like savic and players like razak and scapuzzi when they get back off loan to get quality football

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.