"Captain Tom" charity | Watchdog to review accounts

Charity is one of the best grifts going.

If you look at how much some of the people running some of the larger ones take in wages and the actual percentages of money going to the people who need it, it's quite shocking in some cases.

oh for fuck sake, I am so bored of hearing this ignorant shit.

I’ve worked in senior positions for a number of charities before, mostly in the culture/arts/events sector.

All a charity is is a way of structuring a company so its profit (called ‘surplus’ in charity accounting) is reinvested into its core aims rather than given to shareholders. Charities are also governed by a board of trustees and not owned by an individual.

A charity operates like any other business though. You need to pay staff a reasonable wage to attract them, and have facilities that any other comparable business would have.

An organisation the size of Oxfam or the Salvation Army employs thousands of people and does projects around the world - of course they need a fucking office building. What did you expect, them to be run from someone’s spare room?

The Captain Tom thing is a whole other matter. His daughter has very clearly abused the structure and tax breaks of setting up a Foundation to personally benefit. This is fraud and a breach of the Charities Commission rules and she will hopefully be held to account for it.

oh for fuck sake, I am so bored of hearing this ignorant shit.

I’ve worked in senior positions for a number of charities before, mostly in the culture/arts/events sector.

All a charity is is a way of structuring a company so its profit (called ‘surplus’ in charity accounting) is reinvested into its core aims rather than given to shareholders. Charities are also governed by a board of trustees and not owned by an individual.

A charity operates like any other business though. You need to pay staff a reasonable wage to attract them, and have facilities that any other comparable business would have.

An organisation the size of Oxfam or the Salvation Army employs thousands of people and does projects around the world - of course they need a fucking office building. What did you expect, them to be run from someone’s spare room?

The Captain Tom thing is a whole other matter. His daughter has very clearly abused the structure and tax breaks of setting up a Foundation to personally benefit. This is fraud and a breach of the Charities Commission rules and she will hopefully be held to account for it.
We all fully accept a charity needs an office building but why does it have to be the biggest, swankiest building in the most expensive part of a city ?
Why do the Salvation Army need to be in one of the most expensive parts of New York ?

Anyway, I'm just going in the garden, will you sponsor me ? £5 a lap.

We all fully accept a charity needs an office building but why does it have to be the biggest, swankiest building in the most expensive part of a city ?
Why do the Salvation Army need to be in one of the most expensive parts of New York ?

Anyway, I'm just going in the garden, will you sponsor me ? £5 a lap.

They own the building for a start and constructed it when Manhattan wasn’t the place it is now.

How much do you think it would cost to rent office space in New York for a company the size of the Salvation Army?

Honestly I feel like bashing my head against a fucking wall. It’s like a Daily Mail comments thread this.

Fuck this I’m out.

They own the building for a start and constructed it when Manhattan wasn’t the place it is now.

How much do you think it would cost to rent office space in New York for a company the size of the Salvation Army?

Honestly I feel like bashing my head against a fucking wall. It’s like a Daily Mail comments thread this.

Fuck this I’m out.
Correct. It's not just office space either but I think they have 200 rooms there for impoverished females.

They do very good and vital work IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.