Car driving standards

The art of overtaking on A roads is lost as well ,why do people sit behind lorries for miles and miles and not overtake ?
nothing illegal about overtaking but most people do not know how to do it.
The reaction from some people when you do overtake them can be quite bizarre at times. I was riding behind a car coming out of Holmes Chapel not too long ago on a road with national speed limits and he was pootling along at 35mph.

A safe overtaking opportunity arrived, which I took, and as I passed him he was beeping his horn, and when I got in front of him he was repeatedly flashing his lights at me.

Did he think overtaking is illegal? I don't know, but there was nothing remotely dangerous or threatening about the manoeuver, there were no solid white lines in the middle of the road, and we were traveling well below the permitted speed when I passed him and freaked him out.

Last edited:
The reaction from some people when you do overtake them can be quite bizarre at times. I was riding behind a car coming out of Holmes Chapel not too long ago on a road with national speed limits and he was pootling along at 35mph.

A safe overtaking opportunity arrived, which I took, and as I passed him he was beeping his horn, and when I got in front of him he was repeatedly flashing his lights at me.

Did he think overtaking is illegal? I don't know, but there was nothing remotely dangerous or threatening about the manoeuver, there were no solid white lines in the middle of the road, and we were traveliing well below the permitted speed when I passed him and freaked him out.
Haha. Sounds like my Dad. He would take great offence if somebody passed him.

I remember talking with a State Trooper one time and he said when overtaking, do it fast and clean, ie get by the other vehicle as quickly and safely as possible. You'll never get a ticket for excessive speeding if you're in the act of passing a vehicle.

Yesterday, I saw two separate incidents where drivers beeped at learner drivers who were being slow.

One actually then sped round the driver to get in front of them (straight into a red traffic light!).

Why do people do this?

On a similar point, I’d support mandatory 10 yearly renewal of licences for all. Have to pass a test to keep your licence. Keeps people mindful of good driving practice and also, those that can’t be arsed doing it - good. They hand in their licence - another driver off the roads.

The art of overtaking on A roads is lost as well ,why do people sit behind lorries for miles and miles and not overtake ?
nothing illegal about overtaking but most people do not know how to do it.
The lorry is sometimes stuck behind a fossil driving a small car very slowly. Makes the overtaking manoeuvre a bit trickier.

Anyone with young kids just look at the parking around the school at pick up time, fucking carnage just abandoned cars everywhere because the lazy twats can’t walk 5 mins, parking in the zig zags!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.