Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Re: Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Well hopefully people have calmed down a bit now, I haven't read this rant thread so its possible that I'll repeat a few things, but hey ho.

Firstly a poor team performance, it goes without saying, but there was no sign of this new style of play we are supposed to have. The only notable change from last seasons away games was the defending of set peices, it was worse, defending a very high line for the ones from distance, man marking instead of zonal (though at times it wasn't obvious we were doing either) for the shorter ones/corners.

Midfield too slow, but passing was poorer, and resulted in us giving the ball away far too often, this was also evident against Newcastle, but largely ignored because of the result.

Upfront neither starter played well, and were aided by a poor performance from Silva, who needs to play the simple ball more often.

Worst thing for me was the similarity of the type of team we struggle against. Despite the punditry which I have mostly not listened too, Cardiff weren't any of hte following, superb, brilliant, magnificent, they didn't need to be, average was all they needed to be, because we helped them with 3 awful goals, and while I've no doubt Garcia and Lescott are getting it in the neck, Clichy and Zaba were the culprits, Clichy hasn't looked good for a while now, I'll give Zaba the benefit as it was rare poor game for him.

Sadly the similarity to games last season was all to obvious, a team playing tight at the back, and pressing hard to win the ball back, and we just wilted, then there were the subs, all poor in my opinion.

So what have we learned ? What has MP learned ? Hopefully that spouting off about the best squad etc, comes back to bite you on the arse, and that names on a team sheet mean f**k all when it gets to being on the grass. No disrespect to any Cardiff fans reading this, but how on earth did our 14 players not beat their 14 players yesterday ? There's not a single player in their squad that should get anywhere near our squad, and yet, once again we've lost to team that were better prepared and more up for it than we were.

My ratings on ours

Hart - 5, needs a rocket up his arse
Zaba - 5, a poor game by his standards but he' s due the odd one.
Clichy - 4, not in any kind of form, worst player against Newcastle, no better here
Garcia - 5, had little to do, but looked out of his depth again
Lescott - 6, the best of the 5 at the back but its not saying much
Yaya - 5, on cruise control again, didn't do any of the things he's good at, but plenty of those that make him look an average player
Fernandihno - 5, needs to get a grip quickly, whilst he wins the ball a lot, gives the ball away far too often, you can't do that in this league
Silva - 5, tried hard, but was ineffective, too many attempted glory passes ending up with a loss of possession, thought he was MoM against Newcastle,
Navas - 6, our biggest threat, why was he taken off, didn't have a great game by any means but once off we created nothing
Dzeko - 6, I'm not his biggest fan, and this game is the reason why, great goal, but his contribution otherwise was next to nothing, often not where we need him, in the box, but we didn't play to his strengths either
Aguero - 6, worked hard, but again ineffective, and we don't play to his strengths often enough

Subs
Nasri - 4, woeful contribution, sideways, sideways, backwards
Milner - 5, too little too late
Negredo - not on long enough to give a mark, good goal

MP - 5, lots to learn about the PL, lets hope he does it quickly, or any title chase will be over before it starts

Overall a very bad day at the office, maybe this was the wake up call we needed, and having it this early might be a good thing, but we need to improve hugely away from home.

Cleavers, I could debate finer points with you, but that would be a distraction. In the main, I agree with everything you said.

To be beaten by a better side is football but to be beaten by a poorer side just because they were more ' up for it' is criminal.
I hate saying this but Utd have players that wouldn't get into our side and yet they always seem to put a shift in. Losing Kompany would be a big loss to any side but we really shouldn't be going to pieces
defensively when he's out injured.

roypaulknewmyfather2 said:
Chippy-boy beat me to it re Cleavers post, well said.

..and thrice say I

All pretty much spot on

But how do we turn these superstars into consistently performing athletes - it has to be week in week out - for all of them
No more sloth like efforts like yesterday being excused as another bad day at the office
Every game - balls out - everything left out on the pitch
Nothing else will suffice

Sums it up nicely cleavers.

I would have given Zabaleta a 4 too and Lescott a 5. None of the defence were any good.

mike channon´s windmill said:

..and thrice say I

All pretty much spot on

But how do we turn these superstars into consistently performing athletes - it has to be week in week out - for all of them
No more sloth like efforts like yesterday being excused as another bad day at the office

I posted elsewhere that I expect Chelsea will get 90+ points, which I am positive they will do. Especially if they get Eto'o who may be old, but really world class.

To win it this season, we need to be superb. It's a much tougher test than last season, IMHO. Nothing but full on, 100% commitment, week-in, week-out will be enough.

Chippy_boy said:
mike channon´s windmill said:

..and thrice say I

All pretty much spot on

I posted elsewhere that I expect Chelsea will get 90+ points, which I am positive they will do. Especially if they get Eto'o who may be old, but really world class.

To win it this season, we need to be superb. It's a much tougher test than last season, IMHO. Nothing but full on, 100% commitment, week-in, week-out will be enough.
Have you got next weeks lottery numbers? Your making some serious predictions

God where to start. Firstly Garcia should never start at the back ever again. We have been poor every time he's played there. Pellers seems to like us to play from the back but a Garcia lescott combo isn't good enough for that.

hart initially I thought was unlucky, made a few good saves and had no support. Second and third goal was shocking keeping though.

yaya and Silva may of had their poorest game in a city shirt to date. I thought yaya was poor against Newcastle but the win glossed over that. He got roasted about ten times two of which resulted in their goals. Silva couldn't pass judgement pet alone a football.

Why do our players have no balls when they go to places like this? Why do teams fight more than us then I read tweets from tossers like kompany saying we will bounce back. I read that tweet after spending hundreds of pounds going to Wembley to watch the biggest upset of all time and nothings changes. I hope its a lesson for pellers and he won't make these mistakes again.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I would have given Zabaleta a 4 too and Lescott a 5. None of the defence were any good.
I agree that none were good, the only reason I gave them slightly more was that both did provide some threat further forward, whereas Clichy and Garcia didn't.

I'm particularly concerned about defending this highline on set peices, and the offside attempts, I think it leaves us very vulnerable, and particularly so against better sides than Cardiff.

Our away form must improve, we simply don't win enough games away from home to win titles (it nearly cost us in 2012), and our next one doesn't fill me with optimism either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.