Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Re: Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Everybody knows our weak spots, Pellegrini & Co will surely address these in the next week! I hope he really doesn't believe what he's quoted as saying on the OS "After we scored, we were better but two set pieces decided the match." Apart from being factually incorrect we were lucky that they didn't score twice just before half-time.

The new manager can't just 'change' the mentality of these players. They are who they are, premier league winning side of 2 years ago has gone. If you think of the best players we have (Kompany aside), are they not the problem? Ability isn't in question, but mentality is. Winning at home isn't enough. Fairly certain toure's contract keeps him in the team too.

George Hannah said:
Everybody knows our weak spots, Pellegrini & Co will surely address these in the next week! I hope he really doesn't believe what he's quoted as saying on the OS "After we scored, we were better but two set pieces decided the match." Apart from being factually incorrect we were lucky that they didn't score twice just before half-time.

Correct! Frazer Campbell should have went home with the match ball and a hat trick on the score sheet.
If the managaer is as good and as switched on as we have been led to believe then what he says to the press
can be largely ignored. Its what he does behind closed doors that counts.
And lets not forget our next game is against another 'newly promoted side' who after watching that last night
may well be nowhere near worried as they were...

George Hannah said:
"After we scored, we were better but two set pieces decided the match." Apart from being factually incorrect we were lucky that they didn't score twice just before half-time.
agreed the warnings were there just before the break, , we improved for a few mins after we scored, then the bizarre navas substitution, then it all went tits up, was hoping the downright stupid substitutions were a thing of the past, he was probs our best player(aint saying too much i know)but he gave us options and pace.
ah well live and learn, and i hope mp does learn a couple of points
1: dont put garcia at cb ever again(the dell should have told you this)
and
2: give joe a swift kick up the ass and threaten to nick his head and shoulders

Cardiff fan here. I don't usually come on opposition Boards but yesterday was such a big deal for us I couldn't resist commenting.

Having been used to watching Championship, League 1 and league 2 football for most of my life, to see players of the quality of Manchester City was a joy to behold. The silky skills of Silva and Aguero finding space and interacting with the players around them was something I am not used to seeing and Dzeko's goal was one of the best I have seen at the Cardiff City Stadium. Going forward Manchester City were incredible compared with the fair I have seen in previous seasons. There is a huge gulf between the Premiership and the lower leagues and I look forward with trepidation to the other top clubs visiting the CCS. Although you guys are used to seeing such quality I am not, and for that reason yesterday's result was even more surprising. I don't know of a single Cardiff fan who thought we would even be competitive let alone win.

Your problem of course was the defence and possibly team selection. Prior to the game I was surprised our new 6ft 5ins striker (Cornelius) wasn't put up against your short central defender. While going forward you were excellent, defensively I have seen better and more organised defences in the Championship. How you let a 5ft 8ins striker in Campbell, who I have not previously seen win anything in the air, get above your defenders was remarkable, even comical.

Of course you were missing Kompany and many of the threads on here have put his absence down to your defeat. That may well have been a factor. However, surely the multi million pound replacements should have done better. Is Kompany's absence such a big factor in your defeat? After all Cardiff's back 4 had not previously played together as a unit but we managed OK against far better players.

This morning the media have been blaming Hart as have many on here. He was at fault for at least one of the goals but the fact he made 3 excellent saves in the first half seems to have been ignored. Perhaps the result was not the fluke many believe it to be especially as the match stats indicate Cardiff had 6 strikes on target against Man City's 5.

I'm sure your manager will learn something from this defeat and that you will prosper this season. It's far better to lose against poorer teams now than at the end of the season when results seem to matter more. As for us I am under no illusion that this season will be difficult and we all know we will be in a relegation fight. But for many of us who have supported our club through thin and thin it means so much to beat a side of the quality of Manchester City.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I hope you win the Premiership.

Preseason is meant to show our problems. It did. We repeated them again.

Either change the system or the centre backs ... we did neither, again.

By the time we have learnt this high risk system or signed a CB that is fast enough to play it, we will be so far behind it won't matter.

Really disappointed in Pelle because if even I can see it, and I'm no tactical genius I can tell you, what's he looking at?

How on earth can you give Hart 5?

Whilst the defending in front of him was very poor, he as the keeper was totally accountable for the ball crossing the line 3 times

1. Spilled the initial shot straight back into play (as he has done on countless occasions before) I agree this is a tough call, but he is supposed to be a first rate international keeper at a level where this kind of error is unacceptable.
2. The corner came straight at him - Campbell should not have been given the chance to have his head anywhere near the ball, very poor goal keeping.
3. A better corner but Hart was nowhere to be seen. A goalkeeper must be in total control of his six yard area on corners.

In addition to this his distribution, when it needed to be good was poor.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction to one performance , he's been poor for a while now and he cost us the FA cup final last season.

Hart should not start the next game, for me 2/10. 1 for turning up and another one for holding a 25 yard shot in the first half.

cleavers said:
Well hopefully people have calmed down a bit now, I haven't read this rant thread so its possible that I'll repeat a few things, but hey ho.

Firstly a poor team performance, it goes without saying, but there was no sign of this new style of play we are supposed to have. The only notable change from last seasons away games was the defending of set peices, it was worse, defending a very high line for the ones from distance, man marking instead of zonal (though at times it wasn't obvious we were doing either) for the shorter ones/corners.

Midfield too slow, but passing was poorer, and resulted in us giving the ball away far too often, this was also evident against Newcastle, but largely ignored because of the result.

Upfront neither starter played well, and were aided by a poor performance from Silva, who needs to play the simple ball more often.

Worst thing for me was the similarity of the type of team we struggle against. Despite the punditry which I have mostly not listened too, Cardiff weren't any of hte following, superb, brilliant, magnificent, they didn't need to be, average was all they needed to be, because we helped them with 3 awful goals, and while I've no doubt Garcia and Lescott are getting it in the neck, Clichy and Zaba were the culprits, Clichy hasn't looked good for a while now, I'll give Zaba the benefit as it was rare poor game for him.

Sadly the similarity to games last season was all to obvious, a team playing tight at the back, and pressing hard to win the ball back, and we just wilted, then there were the subs, all poor in my opinion.

So what have we learned ? What has MP learned ? Hopefully that spouting off about the best squad etc, comes back to bite you on the arse, and that names on a team sheet mean f**k all when it gets to being on the grass. No disrespect to any Cardiff fans reading this, but how on earth did our 14 players not beat their 14 players yesterday ? There's not a single player in their squad that should get anywhere near our squad, and yet, once again we've lost to team that were better prepared and more up for it than we were.

My ratings on ours

Hart - 5, needs a rocket up his arse
Zaba - 5, a poor game by his standards but he' s due the odd one.
Clichy - 4, not in any kind of form, worst player against Newcastle, no better here
Garcia - 5, had little to do, but looked out of his depth again
Lescott - 6, the best of the 5 at the back but its not saying much
Yaya - 5, on cruise control again, didn't do any of the things he's good at, but plenty of those that make him look an average player
Fernandihno - 5, needs to get a grip quickly, whilst he wins the ball a lot, gives the ball away far too often, you can't do that in this league
Silva - 5, tried hard, but was ineffective, too many attempted glory passes ending up with a loss of possession, thought he was MoM against Newcastle,
Navas - 6, our biggest threat, why was he taken off, didn't have a great game by any means but once off we created nothing
Dzeko - 6, I'm not his biggest fan, and this game is the reason why, great goal, but his contribution otherwise was next to nothing, often not where we need him, in the box, but we didn't play to his strengths either
Aguero - 6, worked hard, but again ineffective, and we don't play to his strengths often enough

Subs
Nasri - 4, woeful contribution, sideways, sideways, backwards
Milner - 5, too little too late
Negredo - not on long enough to give a mark, good goal

MP - 5, lots to learn about the PL, lets hope he does it quickly, or any title chase will be over before it starts

Overall a very bad day at the office, maybe this was the wake up call we needed, and having it this early might be a good thing, but we need to improve hugely away from home.

Mike88 said:
Cardiff fan here. I don't usually come on opposition Boards but yesterday was such a big deal for us I couldn't resist commenting.

Having been used to watching Championship, League 1 and league 2 football for most of my life, to see players of the quality of Manchester City was a joy to behold. The silky skills of Silva and Aguero finding space and interacting with the players around them was something I am not used to seeing and Dzeko's goal was one of the best I have seen at the Cardiff City Stadium. Going forward Manchester City were incredible compared with the fair I have seen in previous seasons. There is a huge gulf between the Premiership and the lower leagues and I look forward with trepidation to the other top clubs visiting the CCS. Although you guys are used to seeing such quality I am not, and for that reason yesterday's result was even more surprising. I don't know of a single Cardiff fan who thought we would even be competitive let alone win.

Your problem of course was the defence and possibly team selection. Prior to the game I was surprised our new 6ft 5ins striker (Cornelius) wasn't put up against your short central defender. While going forward you were excellent, defensively I have seen better and more organised defences in the Championship. How you let a 5ft 8ins striker in Campbell, who I have not previously seen win anything in the air, get above your defenders was remarkable, even comical.

Of course you were missing Kompany and many of the threads on here have put his absence down to your defeat. That may well have been a factor. However, surely the multi million pound replacements should have done better. Is Kompany's absence such a big factor in your defeat? After all Cardiff's back 4 had not previously played together as a unit but we managed OK against far better players.

This morning the media have been blaming Hart as have many on here. He was at fault for at least one of the goals but the fact he made 3 excellent saves in the first half seems to have been ignored. Perhaps the result was not the fluke many believe it to be especially as the match stats indicate Cardiff had 6 strikes on target against Man City's 5.

I'm sure your manager will learn something from this defeat and that you will prosper this season. It's far better to lose against poorer teams now than at the end of the season when results seem to matter more. As for us I am under no illusion that this season will be difficult and we all know we will be in a relegation fight. But for many of us who have supported our club through thin and thin it means so much to beat a side of the quality of Manchester City.

Good post, and thanks. We've watched our club through thin and thinner too, so enjoy the moment.

I think what is galling for us more than anything, is that you didn't actually play that well either, despite what the media might say. I must say when I saw the fixtures I thought we'd struggle, simply because it was your first PL game, but I didn't expect your manager to out think ours, and he did, but we've seen it time and again in the last 12 months (change of manager, but no change of attitude), if you play to keep it tight (you did), hit long balls a lot (you did), play hard (you did), and play 8 or 9 ahead of our midfield (you did), and get lucky (you did - but we caused our own downfall), then a team playing like Cardiff are very likely to get a win or a draw.

I'm afraid we won't be anywhere near winning the league, if we don't sort out our away performances, far too often they just aren't good enough, and that's no disrespect to Cardiff City.

As a supporter who is still seething & disgusted with our players 'efforts' at Wembley it is yet another kick in the balls to have to endure more of the same yesterday.

All the manager of a mid to lower Premiership side playing us at home has to do is a passable Corporal Jones impression to his players....'They don't like it up 'em'. Far too many of our players go missing in action when faced with determined opponents & Pellegrini has a huge job on his hands to change this.

Mike88 said:

Welcome to the board.

Not making any excuses but we were also missing Nastasic as well.
But i had a bad feeling after the 1st 10 mins that it was going to be a struggle for us.
I just hope that you guys both in the stands and on the pitch put the same level of performance when you play the other top teams in the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.