CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

I'm not a 100% sure how football financing works but won't lots of this outstanding debt be on variable rates and subject to increases in the variable interest rate?
If so surely some knees will be knocking at the thought of double digit inflation and the effect on that rate?

I'm not a 100% sure how football financing works but won't lots of this outstanding debt be on variable rates and subject to increases in the variable interest rate?
If so surely some knees will be knocking at the thought of double digit inflation and the effect on that rate?

This is the point about '"sustainable debt". A debt can be sustainable under one set of circumstances one day, such as (using a random example) if you happen to be guaranteed entry to the Champions League every year, but unsustainable the next, such as if you fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Exactly and variable interest rate accrued debt falls into that potential unsustainability.
For those of us who had mortgages in the eighties that were nicely affordable at around 8% (yes for you kids it was that high - we were told get as big a mortgage as you can afford) less than a year later it was 14.4% if my memory serves and most people were looking into the abyss. https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/analysis/historical-interest-rates-uk/
For the less numerate amongst us that turns a 50K mortgage from £300+ a month to £600 a month. Just imagine the changes in repayments on 800 Million+.
Long term debt seems like a good thing in a stable low interest financial climate but I think it's clear we're entering a much more unstable time where the global economy is in a bit of turmoil.

Exactly and variable interest rate accrued debt falls into that potential unsustainability.
For those of us who had mortgages in the eighties that were nicely affordable at around 8% (yes for you kids it was that high - we were told get as big a mortgage as you can afford) less than a year later it was 14.4% if my memory serves and most people were looking into the abyss. https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/analysis/historical-interest-rates-uk/
For the less numerate amongst us that turns a 50K mortgage from £300+ a month to £600 a month. Just imagine the changes in repayments on 800 Million+.
Long term debt seems like a good thing in a stable low interest financial climate but I think it's clear we're entering a much more unstable time where the global economy is in a bit of turmoil.
Hmmm … that brought back some less than happy memories! Borrowed 50k for our house in ‘92 and it was £584 a month repayments. We were fortunate to be second time around and in established jobs. How young ones coped I don’t know.

Kinnell mine was running at 15/17%

This is the point about '"sustainable debt". A debt can be sustainable under one set of circumstances one day, such as (using a random example) if you happen to be guaranteed entry to the Champions League every year, but unsustainable the next, such as if you fail to qualify for the Champions League.
That was the problem Leeds had back in the day. I think that their budget depended on getting to the CL QF (if not the SF?) every year to cover their costs. They failed to qualify one year for the CL and their financial model couldn’t cope. This set of a chain of events that ended with a fire sale of players, relegation and insolvency.

Peter Risdale always gets the blame but he was simply doing what the Leeds board asked him to.

That was the problem Leeds had back in the day. I think that their budget depended on getting to the CL QF (if not the SF?) every year to cover their costs. They failed to qualify one year for the CL and their financial model couldn’t cope. This set of a chain of events that ended with a fire sale of players, relegation and insolvency.

Peter Risdale always gets the blame but he was simply doing what the Leeds board asked him to.
The chairman has to carry the can for such a dramatic failure.
Their budgeting was lunatic and wages were out of control. If Risdale disagreed with his board, he should have resigned but I suspect he was the driver of the mad policies. As he said:
“We lived the dream.”

“Sustainable” includes no wild assumptions in the projected outturn. If your model is not realistic, it is wishful thinking, not a business plan.

This illustrates the point of stress testing your plan. Test: what happens if inflation rises from 2% to 5%?, to 8%, to 10% etc.
Leeds’ plan could never have survived a stress test of income against on field outcomes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.