CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Henry Winter has never been a friend to our club.

He was the prick who brought down Mancini's unveiling just because his mate Hughes got the sack.

I don't know where people think there was a golden age of sports writers, it has always been a cliquey drinking men's club, populated by sexist, racist, ego-driven ****s.

I've worked amongst them for over thirty years, a more false brigade you would not come across.

Most of them actually don't know much about the game. It's all opinion stated as fact, having to push the envelope even further now social media can make them accountable.

I don't have a single 'friend' in the business.

That's a damming endictment of the industry, not me, I promise you!!
Groupthink incarnate. As soon as any press conference is over, their main topic of conversation is “So what’s the line, then?”
That and, as Tolmie points out, where they’re going boozing afterwards

Groupthink incarnate. As soon as any press conference is over, their main topic of conversation is “So what’s the line, then?”
That and, as Tolmie points out, where they’re going boozing afterwards

I've attended a few press conferences at City and I’m always struck by how utterly childish the press pack are - they are like kids on a school trip. No respect, no decorum and utterly unprofessional pretty much all of them.

Henry Winter has never been a friend to our club.

He was the prick who brought down Mancini's unveiling just because his mate Hughes got the sack.

I don't know where people think there was a golden age of sports writers, it has always been a cliquey drinking men's club, populated by sexist, racist, ego-driven ****s.

I've worked amongst them for over thirty years, a more false brigade you would not come across.

Most of them actually don't know much about the game. It's all opinion stated as fact, having to push the envelope even further now social media can make them accountable.

I don't have a single 'friend' in the business.

That's a damming endictment of the industry, not me, I promise you!!

Haha, me neither. Although I always liked Brian Glanville - he may have smelled and dressed like a tramp but I never had the feeling he could be bought.

I can see the logic of the desire for digital traffic, however for me, the media campaign against City, appears to have more sinister roots.

Ironically there was a series aired earlier this week on bbc radio 4 titled "How they made us Doubt Everything". On it they interviewed a research scientist who was employed by Exxon, I think in the 1970's. The department he worked in started finding evidence that climate change was being caused by the burning of fossil fuels and this information was distributed internally to senior management within the company. Soon afterwards however the company started issuing press releases doubting the validity of these climate change theories, which was the opposite of what it's own research department was finding. Putting aside whatever people's opinions are on climate change, the point is that large and powerful organisations want to manipulate the truth, create doubts in people's minds and influence public opinion.

This is a battle over future fans, money, power and influence. The cartel need the public to doubt the validity of City's case and subsequent escape from a Champions. League ban.

Yes there will be partizan journalists, media interests, etc at play, but wherever big money is at stake, there will be individuals hired or influenced to support those powerful groups. The lack of balance and the selective nature of the attacks on City by some journalists, appears to me to be primarily aimed at influencing public opinion and creating an environment whereby City can be punished again.

I can see the logic of the desire for digital traffic, however for me, the media campaign against City, appears to have more sinister roots.

Ironically there was a series aired earlier this week on bbc radio 4 titled "How they made us Doubt Everything". On it they interviewed a research scientist who was employed by Exxon, I think in the 1970's. The department he worked in started finding evidence that climate change was being caused by the burning of fossil fuels and this information was distributed internally to senior management within the company. Soon afterwards however the company started issuing press releases doubting the validity of these climate change theories, which was the opposite of what it's own research department was finding. Putting aside whatever people's opinions are on climate change, the point is that large and powerful organisations want to manipulate the truth, create doubts in people's minds and influence public opinion.

This is a battle over future fans, money, power and influence. The cartel need the public to doubt the validity of City's case and subsequent escape from a Champions. League ban.

Yes there will be partizan journalists, media interests, etc at play, but wherever big money is at stake, there will be individuals hired or influenced to support those powerful groups. The lack of balance and the selective nature of the attacks on City by some journalists, appears to me to be primarily aimed at influencing public opinion and creating an environment whereby City can be punished again.
Pretty much how I see it.

If you haven’t already, I’d highly recommend the novel/film “Thank You for smoking” which satirises the PR shills for the tobacco, alcohol and firearms industry in the US

Always first there, always sat on the front row and always shoehorning his ability to speak several foreign languages into any news conference
Yes! And he became very reactionary in his latter years. But a great writer. There is nobody at all like him now. They're all so fucking bland.

I've attended a few press conferences at City and I’m always struck by how utterly childish the press pack are - they are like kids on a school trip. No respect, no decorum and utterly unprofessional pretty much all of them.
Nailed it.
I’ve attended and in more recent years organised more news conferences than I can count and the football ones were always the very worst in terms of conduct and professionalism.
They were always by some margin the scruffiest bunch as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.