Celtic (A) - Pre-Match Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time Celtic played an English team in a competitive game?

I seem to have some sort of memory of them playing Arsenal in the qualifiers one year? Only ones I distinctly remember are the ones against Liverpool and Blackburn in the Uefa Cup when Celtic made the final

For those of you doubting Celtic's credentials against premiership opposition, they had a 1-1 result against Leicester in the International Champions Cup back in July. Okay, nothing more than a 'friendly' match but considering Leicester ran riot in the Premier League last season tells you that this isn't going to be a walkover.

Celtic are far from being a League 1 or Championship side for that matter. (Stoke/West Ham/Sunderland/Palace/Swansea/WBA/Hull/Bournemouth etc) They wouldn't have qualified for the group stages if that was the case (3 qualification games) - Celtic are limited by their spending power (Max wage approx. £35kpw), if they had English premiership type cash (and subsequent investment from Chinese/Russian billionaires) they would be challenging after a few seasons in my opinion. They have a strong European history, were the first British club to win the European cup back in 1967 and they have a huge global fanbase. They're severely restricted playing in Scotland but that's never likely to change.

Celtic will realistically be aiming for that 3rd spot to drop back down into the Europa league so there's something for them to play for. Celtic beat Barcelona 2-1 with a weaker side than they have now when they last played in 2012 so anything is possible. If there is anyone that likes a punt at the bookies, Celtic with BTTS is 14/1 at the moment, huge odds and worth a tenner.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a great game with a great atmosphere

They equalised late against this sorry shower of ***** that the leicester side is this year,
If you are basing our assumption on their quality against them, in a friendly, then its not much of a benchmark to go off

They are nothing more than an average championship side,
Their key man is scott sinclair and they have kolo toure as their dominating centre half,
The atmosphere will be intense yes, but it shouldnt make their players pass the ball any better, nor will it affect our press
Only thing it MAY change is the fluidity we play out with at the back, as it should add a bit of nerves into the side but other than that I fully expect a 3-0 win

For those of you making the trip upto Celtic Park, here's a few thoughts of what the worlds best have to say about the atmosphere at Celtic Park...

"I’ve been fortunate to play in some great stadiums in Europe with Barcelona but none compare to Celtic. The atmosphere their fans create make it a very special European night of football."
Messi (Sep 2013)

“I have a Celtic jersey at home. The games against Celtic were special and I want to remember them. Celtic Park is a tough place to go to, it is never easy to get a result there. It is the best atmosphere in Europe and we all want to experience that again.”
Messi (Barcelona, Apr 2015)

"I have played many games for Spain/Barca but I've never heard fans like Celtic, they were amazing, not quiet for a single second!"
Andres Iniesta (Barcelona Player, Oct 2012) after Celtic 2-1 Barcelona

“Then when I got out on the pitch and the match began, I tried to communicate with my team player.But I heard nothing.The audience had such a mood.I did not hear what my team players said, if they called me or even the slightest, because it was such a beautiful and awesome atmosphere.It’s probably the best I have seen on the pitch.”
Zlatan Ibrahimovic recalls his experience of Celtic from the Ajax 1-0 Celtic match of 2001 (2013)

“When you step out at Celtic Park, the atmosphere they create for their team is incredible. It doesn’t matter how many big games you have played in. Walking out into that atmosphere is always intense. I don’t think I have seen anything like the Celtic fans in all the stadiums I have played. What makes them the best, for me, is their support when they lose. It is easy to make noise when you win against Barcelona but in Spain we beat them 6-1 and most fans would have left the stadium. However, at the end, the fans were making noise like they had just won the Champions League, not like a team that had just conceded six."
Xavi (Barcelona player, 2014)

The atmosphere generated by the fans in Celtic’s stadium for our visit was the most impressive I’ve ever witnessed. The grounds of Liverpool and Manchester United are good and the hostile feeling of playing against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu is also excellent, but the atmosphere against Celtic was the best."
Xavi (Barcelona) (Sep 2004)

"When we played at Celtic Park for Bayern in the Champions League it was unbelievable and I think all our players said the same thing afterwards. The atmosphere was just totally unique. I've played in lots of big games and stadiums but I've never witnessed fans making that much noise in 90 minutes."
Owen Hargreaves (Man U & England footballer)

"Every professional footballer should seek to play at least one game at Celtic Park, I have never felt anything like it"

Paolo Maldini (AC Milan & Italy football legend)

Enjoy the experience guys, it's a crazy crazy atmosphere up there
This is starting to remind me of some other quotes now...

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind... but the one that would still be complete? Scholes, of Manchester." - Mahatma Gandhi

They equalised late against this sorry shower of ***** that the leicester side is this year,
If you are basing our assumption on their quality against them, in a friendly, then its not much of a benchmark to go off

They are nothing more than an average championship side,
Their key man is scott sinclair and they have kolo toure as their dominating centre half,
The atmosphere will be intense yes, but it shouldnt make their players pass the ball any better, nor will it affect our press
Only thing it MAY change is the fluidity we play out with at the back, as it should add a bit of nerves into the side but other than that I fully expect a 3-0 win

Not basing my opinion on anything, I fully expect Manchester City to win as do the bookies at 8/1. Celtic's starting 11 are probably paid less than what Aguero earns alone, but don't confuse £££ as a sign of footballing success, it's nothing more than arrogance.

Celtic may have the budget of a Championship side, but in my opinion, they would wipe the floor with half the teams in the Premiership (Stoke, Bournemouth, West Ham, Sunderland etc would not be going to Celtic Park and taking heaps of points)

Your attitude is that of arrogance and the kind of attitude that riles Scottish and other International fans. Ask yourself, what were Manchester City and Chelsea doing before they huge cash injections? Big clubs?

I wont argue with you, City should pick up the 3 points easily on paper, but then Messi and co should have too the last time they played at Celtic Park ;)

Do not be arrogant because you can afford to pay £200k+pw in wages, it's a stinking attitude that riles true footballing fans.

We shall see on Wednesday, enjoy the game :)

This is starting to remind me of some other quotes now...

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind... but the one that would still be complete? Scholes, of Manchester." - Mahatma Gandhi

You just need to google the actual news articles, interviews etc to find those quotes are genuine (Messi/Celtic Park, pop it into google for a whole heap of articles) ;)

Bravo, Zaba, Ottamendi, Stones, Kolarov
Fernandinho , Gundogan, Silva, Sterling, Kun, Nolito/ Sane..But will Gundogan be able to start at Spurs away seeing that he is not back to full fitness..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.