Celtic (A) - Pre-Match Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
True,

Celtic 2 Barcelona 1 - 2012
Celtic 0 Barcelona 1 - 2013

I got the two years mixed up.

With regards to the whole championship team 'dig', only their budgets. Swansea are a small Welsh club and are a Premiership team, Bournemouth, Stoke, Burnley, Hull, Watford etc are all in the Premiership and in most Scottish supporters eyes are not big clubs. There are at least 10 teams in the current Premiership that if Celtic ever met them in say the Europa group stages I'm confident that they would pull through and beat them.

Doesn't really matter, it's only an opinion as is yours that Celtic are a championship type club.

Bluebrother, what is your opinion based upon? Celtic playing Kilmarnock is like Man City playing Bournemouth, there are at least 10 clubs in the Premiership that are 'championship' teams in my eyes. Why is a small Welsh club a Premiership club but yet a huge Scottish club is not? Budget? Fanbase? History? Stadium?

No wonder English football fans are hated worldwide, attitudes such as these shows arrogance at its best.

Celtic had the group of death in 2013..

Barcelona
AC Milan
Ajax
Celtic

Due to the seedings, Celtic always get a 'group of death'. Man City would have been lucky to get out of that group there never mind Celtic.

Have Manchester City won the European Cup/CL? With your budgets, why not? Celtic have that trophy in their cabinet tho ;)

I'm sure most of you are great guys and all the best for Wednesday, if you like taking a punt at the bookies, take my tip and chuck a tenner on Celtic both teams to score, long shot at 14-1 but worth a punt. Celtic can beat anyone at home.

Celtic 3, Man City 2.

Celtic are a huge club. But your squad would struggle to stay in the premiership, surely you can admit that? That means nothing tomorrow though, I'm expecting a tough game.

Hello BlueMoon,Celtic fan here, after reading discussions on this thread I thought i'd share some of my feelings on the chat here and on the game itself.

Firstly, caliing Celtic a 'pub team', 'championship team' 'league 1' team is quite inaccurate simply because there's no way to compare how the current Celtic team would fair down there AFTER we have the extreme wealth you have in the english leagues. If Celtic were in the EPL there budget would multiply by 10 and a lot of the players we have now most likely wouldn't be there. So I think those comparisons are very unfair. On current standards yeah, it's a big step up for our team although some average Celtic teams have taken big scalps in CL games over the years.

Back to the game...
It's clear Man City are stronger in all positions comparison to us so you are clear favorites to win. Only caveat to this is that many similar clubs have come to Celtic Park in the last decade of our champions league exploits and have been beaten when they were overwhelming favorites. My head says I can't see this happening on Wednesday. The atmosphere in Celtic Park is by far one of the best in the Champions League and it inspires players to push beyond their potential and has phased some opposition players in the past (Messi, Ronaldo (Man U) to name a few) and that might be one of our biggest advantages.

For those not in the know of Celtics team some of our players that can cause an upset...

Moussa Dembele - scoring for fun here and had scouts from Real Madrid, Barcelona at the last old firm game. Recently got a vote of confidence from Zidane as a player to watch out for. On the rare occasion Celtic got forward at Barca he became a handful for their defence.

Pat Roberts - You'll know of him already, great player, come back from injury and hasn't found his form again but can cause a lot of trouble on the wing for the opposition. I'm sure a player both sets of supporters would love to see play.

Tom Rogic - Recently scouted by Arsenal and like Roberts, seems to make it look like he has the ball glued to his feet. Another dangerous player going forward.

Kieran Tierney - Another one scouted by the top EPL clubs, he's only 19 but an absolutely astounding player, nothing phases him.

Anyway, here's to a good game and hope for those travelling enjoy the game and atmosphere only Celtic Park can create. Don't listen to the scare stories about hostile fans (Unless ur planning to wave Rangers flags ;)), we definitely don't go round destroying cities like the other half of Glasgow does ;)

For those of you doubting Celtic's credentials against premiership opposition, they had a 1-1 result against Leicester in the International Champions Cup back in July. Okay, nothing more than a 'friendly' match but considering Leicester ran riot in the Premier League last season tells you that this isn't going to be a walkover.

Celtic are far from being a League 1 or Championship side for that matter. (Stoke/West Ham/Sunderland/Palace/Swansea/WBA/Hull/Bournemouth etc) They wouldn't have qualified for the group stages if that was the case (3 qualification games) - Celtic are limited by their spending power (Max wage approx. £35kpw), if they had English premiership type cash (and subsequent investment from Chinese/Russian billionaires) they would be challenging after a few seasons in my opinion. They have a strong European history, were the first British club to win the European cup back in 1967 and they have a huge global fanbase. They're severely restricted playing in Scotland but that's never likely to change.

Celtic will realistically be aiming for that 3rd spot to drop back down into the Europa league so there's something for them to play for. Celtic beat Barcelona 2-1 with a weaker side than they have now when they last played in 2012 so anything is possible. If there is anyone that likes a punt at the bookies, Celtic with BTTS is 14/1 at the moment, huge odds and worth a tenner.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a great game with a great atmosphere

Where can you get those odds?

Not basing my opinion on anything, I fully expect Manchester City to win as do the bookies at 8/1. Celtic's starting 11 are probably paid less than what Aguero earns alone, but don't confuse £££ as a sign of footballing success, it's nothing more than arrogance.

Celtic may have the budget of a Championship side, but in my opinion, they would wipe the floor with half the teams in the Premiership (Stoke, Bournemouth, West Ham, Sunderland etc would not be going to Celtic Park and taking heaps of points)

Your attitude is that of arrogance and the kind of attitude that riles Scottish and other International fans. Ask yourself, what were Manchester City and Chelsea doing before they huge cash injections? Big clubs?

I wont argue with you, City should pick up the 3 points easily on paper, but then Messi and co should have too the last time they played at Celtic Park ;)

Do not be arrogant because you can afford to pay £200k+pw in wages, it's a stinking attitude that riles true footballing fans.

We shall see on Wednesday, enjoy the game :)
A Celtic fan giving lectures on arrogance, wtf, laughable.

The Louden Tavern: Ibrox Stadium Welcomes City Fans on Wednesday

We are delighted to be open from 11am on Wednesday to host the fans of Manchester City who are travelling up to Glasgow to watch their team.

The Louden Tavern: Ibrox Stadium is situated on 111 Copland Road, Ibrox, G51 2SL – Opposite Ibrox Subway Station with easy access to and from the city centre via the underground. For Coaches the nearby motorway provides a direct route to Celtic Park, normally a 14 minute Journey without traffic congestion (under 6 miles).

We will have City themed Music, Videos and even a couple of former City players coming in to see the fans – Gordon Smith and Jim Melrose. We have been contacted by a number of supporters’ buses who will be coming in.

We are a well-known Rangers Supporters Pub who used to catering for football supporters. A large pub, we have twelve 60” TV’s and will be showing the match in HD for those coming up who were unfortunate in not being able to obtain a ticket. We also have a large beer garden and smoking area that has covers. We are providing 600 free ham rolls and 300 free Scotch Pies for our guests.

For those attending the game via supporters bus, we have liaised with police to provide supporters buses with a route to the match. For those looking to use public transport we recommend utilising the Underground Station opposite the pub and heading into Buchanan Street where you can get a Hackney Cab easily to the game for little cost (the journey should be about a tenner and you can fit 5 people in the taxi).

We have also approached Rangers about providing extra tours to accommodate the City fans who wish to take a tour of The Magnificent Ibrox Stadium (well worth a visit). The Supporters Liaison Officer Jim Hannah can be contacted on 0141 580 8670 or at jhannah@rangers.co.uk to arrange a tour.

We hope that you can give us a visit while you are up! But even if you can’t enjoy your trip and be assured The Rangers Support wish you nothing but success and hope that you get a better result than Barcelona got against them…
If you questions, queries, or if there is any way we can help please get in contact:

Email: info@thelouden.co.uk
Twitter: @theloudentavern
Facebook: www.facebook.com/theloudentavern

Thanks very much!

The Louden Tavern: Ibrox Stadium – More Than A Pub
www.thelouden.co.uk
111 Copland Road
Ibrox
G51 2SL

It will be a noisy and passionate atmosphere for sure but that won't bother the City team in the least. They are all battle hardened and have seen it all before. My own idea would be to play Fernando in place of KDB and to be a bit more patient than usual, but Pep would likely disagree and continue the game plan that has brought us the ten out of ten. By maintaining a 60% possession rate, especially if that 60% is played in or around the Celtic penalty area, then this will be as good a way as any of silencing the atmosphere.

A lot of Celtic fans seem to be confusing “Big Club” with “Big Team”

Nobody’s doubting your huge support, but averaging 50,000 hasn’t done Newcastle much good. In fact, if Celtic and Rangers were in the English league they would face all the same geographical disadvantages.

Also, you’ve had Denayer, Boyata, and Guidetti, who’ve all done well at Parkhead, but hardly got a kick at City.

City might lose on Wednesday, but it would take an extraordinary circumstance/diabolical refereeing decision/fantastic Celtic goalkeeper performance/spectacular goal etc etc etc.
No offence, but I'm a bitter Airdrie fan.
Up the Diamonds!

Looking forward to this now.. Should be interesting to see how we line up. Wondering if Sane is due a start. Either way we should beat these quite easy I'm hoping for another big win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.