Celtic (A) - Pre-Match Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bravo got injured/suspended though we would have no back up for Gunn on the bench ? Grimshaw, can't see it happening myself.
Ian Lawlor could go on the bench. Also there's special dispensation for changing the squad in cases of injury/suspensions to your goalkeepers, if anything happened to Bravo and Gunn simultaneously we could bring Caballero back into the squad on a temporary basis.

Looking at the fixture list we have

Tottenham A
Everton H
Barca A
Southampton H
Scum A
West Brom A
Barca H
Middlesborough H

That's a tough list over 4 weeks and I'm worried that Fernandinho, Aguero and Kolarov will be overused.
So I think we need to rest some players for the celtic game as it's the easiest on paper (yes I know it will be difficult in reality but we have to manage the squad somewhere), in particular the 3 I mentioned. So Iheanacho, Fernando, Clichy can start. I think Fernando and Clichy are better suited to tough tackling away teams anyway and Iheanacho is always a threat.
It will be a tough game but we should still have too much for them.

that gives us the full strength team for Spurs
rest a couple of attacking midfielders (silva and sterling, hopefully de bruyne is back) for everton.
full strength for barca
rest a couple for southampton
full strength for united
rest a couple for west brom
full strength for barca
rest a couple for middlesborough

Celtic: Bravo, Zaba, Stones, Otamendi, Clichy, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva, Sterling, Nolito, Aguero

Spurs: Bravo, Sagna, Stones, Otamendi, Kolarov, Fernando, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Aguero

Looking at the fixture list we have

Tottenham A
Everton H
Barca A
Southampton H
Scum A
West Brom A
Barca H
Middlesborough H

That's a tough list over 4 weeks and I'm worried that Fernandinho, Aguero and Kolarov will be overused.
So I think we need to rest some players for the celtic game as it's the easiest on paper (yes I know it will be difficult in reality but we have to manage the squad somewhere), in particular the 3 I mentioned. So Iheanacho, Fernando, Clichy can start. I think Fernando and Clichy are better suited to tough tackling away teams anyway and Iheanacho is always a threat.
It will be a tough game but we should still have too much for them.

that gives us the full strength team for Spurs
rest a couple of attacking midfielders (silva and sterling, hopefully de bruyne is back) for everton.
full strength for barca
full strength for united
full strength for barca
You're forgetting the international break - it's 5 weeks of which we can only plan for 1 as the second is completely out of our hands. Full strength against Celtic until the match is won and full strength against Spurs imo do everything we can to go into international week on the back of 12 wins from 12 and then reassess the squad when everyone returns and plan from there.

Ian Lawlor could go on the bench. Also there's special dispensation for changing the squad in cases of injury/suspensions to your goalkeepers, if anything happened to Bravo and Gunn simultaneously we could bring Caballero back into the squad on a temporary basis.
Lawlor is out on loan at Bury, I would be surprised if Pep drops Caballero to squeeze in another midfielder. More likely he decides to introduce Gabriel Jesus to the premier league but not the champions league and allows arcia to take Kelechis place as he becomes available.

You're forgetting the international break - it's 5 weeks of which we can only plan for 1 as the second is completely out of our hands. Full strength against Celtic until the match is won and full strength against Spurs imo do everything we can to go into international week on the back of 12 wins from 12 and then reassess the squad when everyone returns and plan from there.

Nope I've not forgetten it. Most of our players are internationals and will be playing 90+ minutes for their country so they need to be rested at some point especially Fern and this game represents the best option. It's kind of a shame we got united in the league cup as we wouldn't have had to worry too much about it but it means we have to shift things around to accommodate the game. I don't think the 3 changes I've suggested weaken us so it's not an issue like before when Bony would play.

Pep stated the importance of this game and I think he puts it higher than the spurs game. I expect his best eleven.

Looking at the fixture list we have;
full strength team for Spurs
full strength for barca
full strength for united
full strength for barca
No way will Pep put out a full strength eleven in the early stages of the League Cup irrespective of the opposition. It's not even the Quarter Finals. If United do win then that will tie them up for several weeks, especially with the two-legged semis against the likes of Arsenal or Liverpool to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.