Celtic v City post match

What planet are you on.

Their first goal was cleverly worked, they found a way to breach our zonal defending of free kicks; that can happen at our level but what was worse was the assistant referee being so far behind the play that he could not see a clear offside.

Their second goal was deflected by a decent challenge by Sterling, that sort of thing can happen to any team.

and, the third goal was largely down to an individual error of the type that can occasionally happen to any defender.

All very unfortunate, and in theory, shouldn't happen but it the real world, do happen to Premier League teams up and down the division.

As to the same players comment you've also made. I'm afraid Pep no more than Pellegrini can bless certain players with ability they don't have; which is why I wanted 7 or 8 new players in the starting line-up. I expect Pep to get more out of his resources than Pellegrini but there is only so much he can do.

The first goal was absolutely fucking abysmal by any standards & ANY team we play in the FA Cup will do it to us if we setup like that again. Schoolboy stuff in every aspect.

The 2nd goal we had a winger desperately trying to rescue a ball coming into the 6 yard box due to being a fucking mess. The 3rd came from a punt down the channel where several of our fucking useless defenders, ONCE AGAIN allowed Celtic to turn absolutely nothing, into an attacking position, as they did with a decent percentage of hopeful punts down the centre of the pitch. From the resulting play, they passed it to Kolarov who, in spite of being paid 100 grand pw, can't kick a football with his right leg.

It was fucking shite.

The first goal was absolutely fucking abysmal by any standards & ANY team we play in the FA Cup will do it to us if we setup like that again. Schoolboy stuff in every aspect.

The 2nd goal we had a winger desperately trying to rescue a ball coming into the 6 yard box due to being a fucking mess. The 3rd came from a punt down the channel where several of our fucking useless defenders, ONCE AGAIN allowed Celtic to turn absolutely nothing, into an attacking position, as they did with a decent percentage of hopeful punts down the centre of the pitch. From the resulting play, they passed it to Kolarov who, in spite of being paid 100 grand pw, can't kick a football with his right leg.

It was fucking shite.
The.defending was useless, Zaba for me on the night showed he's lost his pace (most attacks came down that side) and why he's bombing on past Sterling all the time when he's enough on his plate defending i'll never know, he should come inside and support Sterling but stay in a defensive position behind or level with the ball. Kolorov made a mistake which can happen, his and Otto's hoofing of the ball when being pressed was unbelievable given how Pep wants to play. Im surprised Pep didnt bring Stones on earlier to give one of them two an outlet to pass instead of hoof. Stones plays we keep more possession, cope better with Celtics press and win the game. Poor decision from Pep for me to not start Stones and took too long to bring him on, showed a weakness in decision making.

The.defending was useless, Zaba for me on the night showed he's lost his pace (most attacks came down that side) and why he's bombing on past Sterling all the time when he's enough on his plate defending i'll never know, he should come inside and support Sterling but stay in a defensive position behind or level with the ball. Kolorov made a mistake which can happen, his and Otto's hoofing of the ball when being pressed was unbelievable given how Pep wants to play. Im surprised Pep didnt bring Stones on earlier to give one of them two an outlet to pass instead of hoof. Stones plays we keep more possession, cope better with Celtics press and win the game. Poor decision from Pep for me to not start Stones and take too long to bring him on, showed a weakness in decision making.

Just trying to keep Stones fit imo. He has been playing him less in recent weeks since commenting about Stones looking 'tired'.

The most difficult & important game of this week is on Sunday. In spite of all the hype.

To me (and most other Celtic fans) that attitude is crazy. Dont even know where to begin. If that's your thoughts surely you are better suited watching it at home?
Not the view of all City fans. Maybe that's the generation gap showing in modern football. Celtic appear to have a much younger match-attending fan base in general (compared to other clubs), as in teens-30s which I imagine is what generates that "special European atmosphere" that the older fans don't have to start. Whereas, at City, I look around at the ground and it is overwhelmingly middle-aged - there are few pockets such as "Kippax Corner" and the South stand where younger fans congregate (coincidently where all our crowd's singing comes from at the Etihad). The north stand (allocated Family Stand - such a bad idea for atmosphere) has the families and therefore, generally the younger kids. Hopefully that doesn't sound "ageist" as obviously older fans were the football culture when singing was at it's peak, when they were younger. They've seen the game change and don't like it/have become a bit bitter about it.

Any multi-millionaire jibes at footballers from fans, media, politicians is just lazy and I'm sick of hearing it - Football is a huge business, therefore, huge sums of money are involved and the assets benefit where the demand is there for 'em. Common sense really, that's capitalism. It's not even relevant to atmosphere.

As for our atmosphere - lots of our fans outright avoid going to CL games because of a strong dislike for EUFA and the competition itself. It's gotten better since last season but before we were regularly frustrated with referring decisions that appeared bent in favour of the likes of Barca (our naivety to European refs played a part too which we've gotten over) and things like making CSKA Moscow away non-attendance because of CSKA's racism whilst loads of CSKA fans got tickets through EUFA/sponsors - effectively punishing City fans (this is why we started booing the anthem, besides them being found bent and FFP which was clearly to hamper us and pushed by the likes of David Gill, rag director with his fingers in the pie of FA and FIFA).

What other fans don't think about is that we've gone from league and a few cup games a year to being successful in 4 competitions in terms of how far we get on a season by season basis. If your also a regular away traveller that's a hell of a lot of expenditure for the fan whilst we've also got a bunch of corporates that've been brought in to "monetise" the fanbase under the pressure of FFP. That is why the odd cup game might have a lot more empty seats than there should be. I think there is some kind of problem with sponsorships getting tickets that aren't going to fans that would attend too, as even during the sell-outs (which is regular FYI, since other fans never seem to look up the facts) - I always see the same clusters of empty seats in the family stand especially (from where I'm sat) - these are what are easy to see on TV. Yes we have the lowest season ticket in the league but that was a marketing initiative for the expanded stand (it's just the highest seats) - I've witnessed many, many of our long-term fans being priced out over the last few years, who can only afford the odd game now. The atmosphere has plummeted during this time; we were still laughing at the rags for having a library in 2012 and I felt the tide changing after that as tourists/casuals starting to replace those priced out. Then, there is also the aspect of success where we expect to win which we're not used to long-term like Celtic, rags etc. Celtic has the nice balance for atmosphere/character of pulverising their league and then being underdogs in Europe; when we play shit, it's generally because the players are being lazy or not putting sufficient effort in for the fans - probably where the multi-millionaire thing that people bring up comes from because the likes of Nasri would play shit then you'd see pics of his flashy Ferrari and house. That's the difference in our clubs between the fans getting behind the players or not - ours have the quality to wipe the floor with the other team but sometimes seemingly couldn't be arsed (especially Yaya) - this was the problem with Pellegrini's last two years and the year Mancini got the sack.

Traditionally, we have a strong, solid fanbase heavily from Manchester but also have traditional supporter bases in other places like Sweden, Sierra Leone that have followed us a long time/have Manc links. The difference with Celtic is, you have one of the biggest supports across the British isles because of what you are. Your not so much as a club with a global fanbase, your non-Glaswegian fans are probably overwhelmingly Brits/Irish with a shared culture (such as singing at football), not visiting tourists like rags for example (or us for CL games). That's your advantage over every other club in the UK.

Just trying to keep Stones fit imo. He has been playing him less in recent weeks since commenting about Stones looking 'tired'.

The most difficult & important game of this week is on Sunday. In spite of all the hype.

Agreed it was a game we could afford to draw and rotation is needed with all the games to be played. Having 3 away games on the bounce is unusual but for me Pep has to be carefull when to rest Stones as they other 2 are not comfortable on the ball when time and space is denied. We have to find a solution as i expect all teams will press us high as Swansea and Celtic did.

Not the view of all City fans. Maybe that's the generation gap showing in modern football. Celtic appear to have a much younger match-attending fan base in general (compared to other clubs), as in teens-30s which I imagine is what generates that "special European atmosphere" that the older fans don't have to start. Whereas, at City, I look around at the ground and it is overwhelmingly middle-aged - there are few pockets such as "Kippax Corner" and the South stand where younger fans congregate (coincidently where all our crowd's singing comes from at the Etihad). The north stand (allocated Family Stand - such a bad idea for atmosphere) has the families and therefore, generally the younger kids. Hopefully that doesn't sound "ageist" as obviously older fans were the football culture when singing was at it's peak, when they were younger. They've seen the game change and don't like it/have become a bit bitter about it.

Any multi-millionaire jibes at footballers from fans, media, politicians is just lazy and I'm sick of hearing it - Football is a huge business, therefore, huge sums of money are involved and the assets benefit where the demand is there for 'em. Common sense really, that's capitalism. It's not even relevant to atmosphere.

As for our atmosphere - lots of our fans outright avoid going to CL games because of a strong dislike for EUFA and the competition itself. It's gotten better since last season but before we were regularly frustrated with referring decisions that appeared bent in favour of the likes of Barca (our naivety to European refs played a part too which we've gotten over) and things like making CSKA Moscow away non-attendance because of CSKA's racism whilst loads of CSKA fans got tickets through EUFA/sponsors - effectively punishing City fans (this is why we started booing the anthem, besides them being found bent and FFP which was clearly to hamper us and pushed by the likes of David Gill, rag director with his fingers in the pie of FA and FIFA).

What other fans don't think about is that we've gone from league and a few cup games a year to being successful in 4 competitions in terms of how far we get on a season by season basis. If your also a regular away traveller that's a hell of a lot of expenditure for the fan whilst we've also got a bunch of corporates that've been brought in to "monetise" the fanbase under the pressure of FFP. That is why the odd cup game might have a lot more empty seats than there should be. I think there is some kind of problem with sponsorships getting tickets that aren't going to fans that would attend too, as even during the sell-outs (which is regular FYI, since other fans never seem to look up the facts) - I always see the same clusters of empty seats in the family stand especially (from where I'm sat) - these are what are easy to see on TV. Yes we have the lowest season ticket in the league but that was a marketing initiative for the expanded stand (it's just the highest seats) - I've witnessed many, many of our long-term fans being priced out over the last few years, who can only afford the odd game now. The atmosphere has plummeted during this time; we were still laughing at the rags for having a library in 2012 and I felt the tide changing after that as tourists/casuals starting to replace those priced out. Then, there is also the aspect of success where we expect to win which we're not used to long-term like Celtic, rags etc. Celtic has the nice balance for atmosphere/character of pulverising their league and then being underdogs in Europe; when we play shit, it's generally because the players are being lazy or not putting sufficient effort in for the fans - probably where the multi-millionaire thing that people bring up comes from because the likes of Nasri would play shit then you'd see pics of his flashy Ferrari and house. That's the difference in our clubs between the fans getting behind the players or not - ours have the quality to wipe the floor with the other team but sometimes seemingly couldn't be arsed (especially Yaya) - this was the problem with Pellegrini's last two years and the year Mancini got the sack.

Traditionally, we have a strong, solid fanbase heavily from Manchester but also have traditional supporter bases in other places like Sweden, Sierra Leone that have followed us a long time/have Manc links. The difference with Celtic is, you have one of the biggest supports across the British isles because of what you are. Your not so much as a club with a global fanbase, your non-Glaswegian fans are probably overwhelmingly Brits/Irish with a shared culture (such as singing at football), not visiting tourists like rags for example (or us for CL games). That's your advantage over every other club in the UK.

Good post mate. Informational from my point of view. It's been a huge period of transition for your club/fans the last decade or so. Unsure how I would feel about it all if I was in your shoes. Closest example would be if we were somehow to move to the EPL (I've discussed elsewhere, it wont be happening, nor would I be in favour of it). Lots of pro's and con's when clubs go through these huge changes, but IMO they always lose something that you can't quite put your finger on. See West Ham in their new stadium, Arsenal's modern transition, (hypothetically) if we were to move down to English leagues, Chelsea and the crazy money. The thing is if success comes with it, then its widely accepted.

I do worry about the state of English fan culture in the years to come. Between the age-ing fan bases, tourists and sanitised 'match day experience' English football could sadly be un-recognisable in the future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.