Central heating, 24/7 during winter ?

west didsblue said:
sweynforkbeard said:
west didsblue said:
Simple
Keep the ling fillets and haddock terrine in the scullery rather than the front parlour and ensure the window is left slightly open. This has the added advantage that the front parlour won't smell of fish and the scullery window is likely to be too small to allow access to the burglar. Also, keep the wireless in the rear parlour next to the gramophone so that it cannot be seen through the front parlour window. I would also suggest that you get the housemaid to tend to Aunty in Audenshaw. Her house probably smells of piss and she probably won't leave you anything in her will anyway so its not worth the effort of doing it yourself.

An elegant and practical solution though I would point out that my housemaid's house does not smell of piss as I don't pay her enough for her to invest in property. There should be more posts like this on Bluemoon rather than smutty inuendo about ladies buttocks.
I think you misunderstood. I would expect the housemaid to live in the servants quarters below stairs sharing a room with the scullery maid, the laundry girl and the corgi. It would be Aunty's house that smells of piss.

I don't think that it would be seemly for three nubile, sinuous French maid uniform wearing employees to be in such close proximity to a breed of canine favoured by Her Majesty.

I have one if those electric thermostat things which can be moved, I keep it in the living room and set the temperature to 20 at 6 for when I get up, then down to 16 through the day, then from 5 to 10 at 21. Works quite well, can be cold once out of the living room, but otherwise comfortable.

I have two vents in the front room which were more like doors, I'd constantly get a draft whizzing through, freezing my feet and bringing the temperature down. So last week I blocked them off, it's obviously been much warmer with the heating not having to come on. I'm guessing these vents aren't there for a laugh and the house will probably fall down, but fuck it, I'm warm for now.

Been trying to sort out a wood burning stove all winter, but they're obviously snowed under, so hopefully I'll have one up and running for next year.

ChesterRdBlue said:
I have one if those electric thermostat things which can be moved, I keep it in the living room and set the temperature to 20 at 6 for when I get up, then down to 16 through the day, then from 5 to 10 at 21. Works quite well, can be cold once out of the living room, but otherwise comfortable.

I have two vents in the front room which were more like doors, I'd constantly get a draft whizzing through, freezing my feet and bringing the temperature down. So last week I blocked them off, it's obviously been much warmer with the heating not having to come on. I'm guessing these vents aren't there for a laugh and the house will probably fall down, but fuck it, I'm warm for now.

Been trying to sort out a wood burning stove all winter, but they're obviously snowed under, so hopefully I'll have one up and running for next year.

don t cover up vents mate before you get expert advice, causes carbon monoxide. they are there for a reason, what boiler/fire do you have?? in that room

salfordpaul said:
op its easy to work out!

take a gas mtr reading at 7am in the morning using it one way then take a reading before and after the 2nd way. you can work out the kilowats used (or imperial dependant on your meter)

i did it once and found leaving it on all day albeit at a lower temp used SLIGHTLY more
This. 20 degrees is the highest we've ever set ours.
Reduce it to 18 during the day and let the thermostat do the work. It's pennies difference.

salfordpaul said:
ChesterRdBlue said:

don t cover up vents mate before you get expert advice, causes carbon monoxide. they are there for a reason, what boiler/fire do you have?? in that room

That's why I figured I'd be safe as I have a shitty old gas fire which is not used and has been disconnected, there's a back boiler in the chimney which is also no longer in use, just had a combi boiler fitted in the kitchen and have carbon monoxide alarm, no issues yet, but it might be wise to unblock them partially.

ChesterRdBlue said:
salfordpaul said:
ChesterRdBlue said:

That's why I figured I'd be safe as I have a shitty old gas fire which is not used and has been disconnected, there's a back boiler in the chimney which is also no longer in use, just had a combi boiler fitted in the kitchen and have carbon monoxide alarm, no issues yet, but it might be wise to unblock them partially.

those vents were fitted for the fire and back boiler, if not being used don t worry, cover em up pal. no probs.

salfordpaul said:
ChesterRdBlue said:
salfordpaul said:

those vents were fitted for the fire and back boiler, if not being used don t worry, cover em up pal. no probs.

Cheers mate, that makes sense and puts my mind at ease, I'll be leaving them covered until I get a fire sorted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.