Central heating, 24/7 during winter ?

Anyone remember the good old days when you could put a brick under the meter, so the dial would go backwards?

My mate did this all the time. Problem was, the reading was less than the previous one 3 months earlier. When he was due for the meter to be read, he had the CH on 24/7 for 4 days in the middle of summer. His house was like a fecking Turkish sauna.

sweynforkbeard said:
What if you have followed this procedure and come in - let's say from tending to an elderly aunt in Audenshaw suffering from reduced mobility due to ingrowing toenails - but immediately realised that you have forgotten you have an Armenian language conversation class and have to go straight out again? Bear in mind that one might also be trying to defrost a multipack of ling fillets whilst storing a haddock terrine at room temperature in the front parlour. Is it off, down - and by how many degrees -or open a window and stuff the chances of a burglar invading the property and making off with the wireless and a hoard of bulging nets of chocolate gold doubloons ready for Christmas morning?
Simple
Keep the ling fillets and haddock terrine in the scullery rather than the front parlour and ensure the window is left slightly open. This has the added advantage that the front parlour won't smell of fish and the scullery window is likely to be too small to allow access to the burglar. Also, keep the wireless in the rear parlour next to the gramophone so that it cannot be seen through the front parlour window. I would also suggest that you get the housemaid to tend to Aunty in Audenshaw. Her house probably smells of piss and she probably won't leave you anything in her will anyway so its not worth the effort of doing it yourself.

nimrod said:
sweynforkbeard said:
nimrod said:
no Andy, in that respect its best to keep it running but turn it down a degree or three when you go out

What if you have followed this procedure and come in - let's say from tending to an elderly aunt in Audenshaw suffering from reduced mobility due to ingrowing toenails - but immediately realised that you have forgotten you have an Armenian language conversation class and have to go straight out again? Bear in mind that one might also be trying to defrost a multipack of ling fillets whilst storing a haddock terrine at room temperature in the front parlour. Is it off, down - and by how many degrees -or open a window and stuff the chances of a burglar invading the property and making off with the wireless and a hoard of bulging nets of chocolate gold doubloons ready for Christmas morning?

those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes
down on to the lower peg immediately after lunch before you
write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut,
unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this
weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case collect his
note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your
hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the
lower peg for you.

Wymer: Sir?

Headmaster: Yes, Wymer?

Wymer: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend,
sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today sir, so do I move my
clothes down or...

Headmaster: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer, it's perfectly simple.
If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move
your brother's clothes down to the lower peg, you simply
collect his note before lunch after you've done your scripture
prep when you've written your letter home before rest, move
your own clothes on to the lower peg, greet the visitors, and
report to Mr Viney that you've had your chit signed.

This is the most reassuring thing I have ever read on the internet and I would like to thank you. I am suffused in a warm golden glow though this may be explained by my forgetting to wear incontinence pants this morning.

west didsblue said:
sweynforkbeard said:
Simple
Keep the ling fillets and haddock terrine in the scullery rather than the front parlour and ensure the window is left slightly open. This has the added advantage that the front parlour won't smell of fish and the scullery window is likely to be too small to allow access to the burglar. Also, keep the wireless in the rear parlour next to the gramophone so that it cannot be seen through the front parlour window. I would also suggest that you get the housemaid to tend to Aunty in Audenshaw. Her house probably smells of piss and she probably won't leave you anything in her will anyway so its not worth the effort of doing it yourself.

An elegant and practical solution though I would point out that my housemaid's house does not smell of piss as I don't pay her enough for her to invest in property. There should be more posts like this on Bluemoon rather than smutty inuendo about ladies buttocks.

sweynforkbeard said:
west didsblue said:
sweynforkbeard said:
Simple

An elegant and practical solution though I would point out that my housemaid's house does not smell of piss as I don't pay her enough for her to invest in property. There should be more posts like this on Bluemoon rather than smutty inuendo about ladies buttocks.
I think you misunderstood. I would expect the housemaid to live in the servants quarters below stairs sharing a room with the scullery maid, the laundry girl and the corgi. It would be Aunty's house that smells of piss.

west didsblue said:
sweynforkbeard said:
west didsblue said:
Simple

I think you misunderstood. I would expect the housemaid to live in the servants quarters below stairs sharing a room with the scullery maid, the laundry girl and the corgi. It would be Aunty's house that smells of piss.

Opening the scullery window is a schoolboy error. Everyone knows this will lead to the local tom cat helping himself to a fish supper before marking his territory and exiting the scene. You'll be left lingless with a cat piss smelling scullery maid!

Gelsons Dad said:
west didsblue said:
sweynforkbeard said:

Opening the scullery window is a schoolboy error. Everyone knows this will lead to the local tom cat helping himself to a fish supper before marking his territory and exiting the scene. You'll be left lingless with a cat piss smelling scullery maid!

and the cat is sure to spend more time in your house if its warm..

I leave living room one on all day, then when I get in at half 6 turn on kitchen, bathroom and bedroom

johnmc said:
Whack it up to 30 until it gets too hot then open a window

This was one of arguments I had with ex when lived with her and her kids.

Her son was 16, sat at home smoking skunk all day, playing play station games with heating on (full blast) when we came home from work house like a sauna and all the windows open

We argued about this most days (even summer)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.