Centre back options

I didn't ask for an elaboration of your theories. I simply asked what area of the squad last year was better than AM/CM

I'll make it simple, here are the groupings

AM/CM: Silva, Kev, Gundogan
CB: Komps Ota, John, Kola
FB: Zab, Sagna, Clichy Kola
DM: Dihno, Yaya, Nando
WF: Sterling, Sane, Nolito, Navas
ST: Aguero, Gabriel, Kelechi

I have simplified it for you, just highlight the area with stronger talent. No need for tortured theories.

Edit: on 2nd thought, don't. You are right, we are moving off topic. Sonlets move back to CB. But we can take this up on the appropriate thread
Tbh, I've misread your question a bit.
Have no idea what thread is suitable for disputes about the squad as a whole. Maybe 'Pep's tactics' ? There were a lot of interesting discussions there last summer.
Edit: wouldn't mind to continue the debate as the transfer window is officially in 'it's boring' phase.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think we are in disagreement. Pep is not satisfied with his squad and thinks it can always get better. He says it all the time. But when you take his responses all together its hard to suggest CB is an area he is more so dissatisfied with than others.

His focus on Kompany was a response to continuous questions about Kompany. He got asked about Kompany so much twds the end of the season that it was impossible not to focus on him.

I agree with you though, he will sign a great CB if the opportunity arose, but he is okay with what he has.

But in reality, isn't that true of every position in the squad?
Bernado CM/AM
Sanchez WF/ ST
Mendy/Bertand LB
Walker/Alves RB
Ederson GK

Frankly only CB and DM dontbhave strong links.

We are broadly in agreement, yes. But I don't think Pep is okay with what we have at CB. He realizes that we are thin there. But that pales into insignificance compared to Full Backs where we figuratively had nothing last season and now literally do! As I see it, CB is third priority after FBs and Goalie (hopefully now fixed), but will only be addressed if someone is on the market who is clearly better than Otamendi or Stones.

I've noticed you doing this a lot with posters, reframe things irrationally then claim some silly victory. Please stop. Its silly.

Here are the facts unframed. The strongest concentration of talent was at AM/CM. At no other position did we have talents the equal of Kevin, Silva and Gundogan. We have then gone an added a stud to that positioned. Thus, factually speaking we have improved our strongest position.

If you believe this is the weakest position. Please list the names of the players in any stronger you feel is stronger and lets compare.

If you can't, please shut up and stop making dumb claims... I'm bored already.

What's a stud?

The trouble with this argument is that you are pigeon holing players. KDB, Sane, Silva, Jesus, Sterling the and the new Silva are all interchangeable if needed in a fluid attack midfield 3. Only Gudogan can really be classed as a central player out of the ones you mentioned. And he's injured. Chuck in Fernandinho for good measure. And Yaya. Seeing as only Jesus can really play upfront with Aguero and Kelechi is on his way out I'd say there are a number of positions we need to strengthen.

Up front.
Centre Mid.
Full backs.
Central defence.

We don't really need Sanchez.

Isnt
What's a stud?

The trouble with this argument is that you are pigeon holing players. KDB, Sane, Silva, Jesus, Sterling the and the new Silva are all interchangeable if needed in a fluid attack midfield 3. Only Gudogan can really be classed as a central player out of the ones you mentioned. And he's injured. Chuck in Fernandinho for good measure. And Yaya. Seeing as only Jesus can really play upfront with Aguero and Kelechi is on his way out I'd say there are a number of positions we need to strengthen.

Up front.
Centre Mid.
Full backs.
Central defence.

Sanchez is up front ?, as we currently have only 2 wide forwards and 2 central forwards an ideal,signing is someone thet plays wide but can play centrally if needed. Sanchez is,ideal. Silva and Bernardo will play midfield mainly as we only have those two and KDB for the 2 attacking midfield positions.

We are broadly in agreement, yes. But I don't think Pep is okay with what we have at CB. He realizes that we are thin there. But that pales into insignificance compared to Full Backs where we figuratively had nothing last season and now literally do! As I see it, CB is third priority after FBs and Goalie (hopefully now fixed), but will only be addressed if someone is on the market who is clearly better than Otamendi or Stones.
I think a forward in general, I.e wide or central or preferably someone who can do both is a higher priority than CB.

Thus, in a sense every area barring AM/CM is a higher priority than CB.

I think a forward in general, I.e wide or central or preferably someone who can do both is a higher priority than CB.

Thus, in a sense every area barring AM/CM is a higher priority than CB.

But we're not talking in general, right? It's our specific situation and the players we have (and don't have more to the point) that are dictating our priorities.

But we're not talking in general, right? It's our specific situation and the players we have (and don't have more to the point) that are dictating our priorities.
By general I meant someone who could finish more chancs. Be that a wide or central attacker. Pep talked about that need above all else.

The fears that Aguero wouldn't make it with us was due to how much Pep moaned about quality in the final 3rd.

Pep might be more hopefully with feds coz they are young, I don't know, bit he certainly was more dissatisfied with our finishing than he was our defending

What's a stud?

Up front.
Centre Mid.
Full backs.
Central defence.

Hm

De Vrij not looking to sign a extension with Lazio and only 1 year on his contract

2016-17

Team Goals Scored
Chelsea 85
Spurs 86
City 80

We had Jesus for a handful of games, and Sane clicked in the New Year.

We have since signed bernardo Silva who is also a very attack-minded player.

You can always get better. But it's pretty obvious where the weaknesses are in the squad

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.